Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #15
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Just get the best, heaviest rated tires available, and there should be no worries.

I'm still kicking myself for buying a new set of tires that are rated about 300# less than the highest in that line for our "new to us" '96 Dodge Cummins 4X4 2500. We recently bought a '96 Lance 945 camper that has a dry weight of 2808#, according to Lance. When the camper is loaded, I suspect the rear tires will be getting close to their 3700# rating. A trip across the scales will tell. I will get heavier rated tires next time, if not sooner.

Steve

Think you’ve been doing it long enough you probably wrote the book on it, and got it completely figured out. [emoji41][emoji41]
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
These topics always crack me up. They always end up the same no matter what topic they are started under.

Very controversial, always ending with a whole group, newly graduated arm chair attorneys. Old-biscuit is right.
^^^ Good post laj! ^^^

Some people "get it" and some will spend their entire RVing career in a mismatched, overloaded, lumbering rig.

And yes, Old-Biscuit is a great source of info and experience.
I like his style. He gets to the point with out all the social BS and useless window dressing.
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #17
laj

Tire ratings

you got that right [emoji106]
Old 10-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Think you’ve been doing it long enough you probably wrote the book on it, and got it completely figured out. [emoji41][emoji41]
Thanks Larry, but I think it's a little like my brother says; "even a blind hog will find an acorn once in a while".

I will say the '96 Dodge Cummins 2500 equipped with overloads and airbags, carried the "new to us" 3k + lb camper beautifully at mostly 70-75 mph from where we bought it in Newport, WA to where we live in Phoenix, OR. No mismatched, overloaded, lumbering rig there. The tires seemed to do fine with 80 psi, and with about 50 in the bags the rig seemed plenty stable to me. I'll run it across the scales the first time it is loaded for a trip to see how close to the tires rated capacity the actual weight is.

Something I've often thought about, especially with the old TC that was always overloaded, and even with the best tires was close to their max carrying capacity on the rear, is that most roads are crowned which places more weight on the "downhill" tire. Also, our Caribou didn't weigh the same amount on one side as it did on the other, so it would seem that even if the total carrying capacity of both tires wasn't exceeded, one may have been.

Even at that, there were only two times in 23 years and 200k miles that I had a problem with tires on that rig. Both times were through a series of events that placed an unsuitable tire on the overloaded rear axle. One resulted in a blowout at 60 mph with the Tracker in tow because I was forced to use the 15+ year old spare that came with the truck when it was new. Now I pick the best used tire from the 4 being replaced each time I buy new tires and it becomes the spare. The other time the tread just separated from the casing which held air until I stopped. Both were pretty much "non events" as far as control of the vehicle was concerned, but all that rubber flying about was a concern for the drivers behind me. After stopping I got all the big pieces off the road.

I'm pretty much in the Old-Bisquit camp about limiting factors too. I don't remember paying a lot of attention to numbers back in the '70s and '80s. As long as it worked it was good to go. There were usually modifications to help that along. The '96 Dodge has already been suitably modified, IMHO.

I guess it all comes down to what a person is comfortable with.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #19
laj

yup, i agree with all three of you. you can create as many problems as you can imagine. stick it in, tie it down, mash the go stick.