Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #15

Bedlam, how long is your hitch extension with the Mammoth?
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #16

My Ram 5500 has a 9' deck and a 3.5' double truss extension to tow behind my Host Mammoth. I could go with a 3' truss but this allows me to fully open the basement slide tray while hitched.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
My Ram 5500 has a 9' deck and a 3.5' double truss extension to tow behind my Host Mammoth. I could go with a 3' truss but this allows me to fully open the basement slide tray while hitched.
What is the max tongue weight on your hitch, and how much can you tow?

Sorry for all the questions, just starting to learn about towing.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #18

Extensions 2.5-4' have a 1200 lb tongue weight and 12k lb tow rating when used with a WDH and a 20k or 30k SuperHitch.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
Extensions 2.5-4' have a 1200 lb tongue weight and 12k lb tow rating when used with a WDH and a 20k or 30k SuperHitch.
What would you consider a decent safety factor? The trailer option is 630 dry, loaded weigh(GVWR) is 10k, so I assume the tongue weight loaded would be in the 1k range?
Old 10-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #20

Assume 10-15% of the gross weight will be on the tongue for the trailer to track well. My 8000 lb enclosed trailer has 1000 lbs of tongue weight and is rated for 10k lbs. With a travel trailer, you can control a little of the tongue weight by driving with empty tanks. An enclosed really varies on how you pack it (mine is 3500 lbs with 500 lbs tongue weigh when empty).
Old 10-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstills View Post
Are there any restrictions in parks/campgrounds for having two rigs at once? I don't think there'd be an issue boondocking, but I will have to make some pit stops every now and then, and I wouldn't want to restrict my mobility too much.
Most campground rules state only one camper per site, some allow a tent and a camper. Never seen rules that allow two unless you get and pay for a double site, which some campgrounds have one or two of.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #22

I have a Lance 1052 which has 2 opposing slides and a large kitchen. IMO I could FT in it. I also pull a 14ft enclosed trailer with my kayaks, fishing and camping gear. Plenty of space for anything I need and then some
Old 10-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I have a Lance 1052 which has 2 opposing slides and a large kitchen. IMO I could FT in it. I also pull a 14ft enclosed trailer with my kayaks, fishing and camping gear. Plenty of space for anything I need and then some
The trailer, do you take that into the BLM/NF lands? I'm looking at enclosed trailers now, and most don't have much ground clearance, and those that do are almost as much as a used TT.

Still leaning towards the TC, but I don't believe there is any way possible it will have enough storage. And like I said, I do want to disperse camp most of the time, so finding the optimum setup is proving to be either difficult or costly, lol.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstills View Post
What is the max tongue weight on your hitch, and how much can you tow?

Sorry for all the questions, just starting to learn about towing.
Have you ever towed before? I personally couldn’t imagine driving around the country very far or long with another full size loaded trailer behind me while also carrying a heavy truck camper.

Plus, as was noted by the one person that has attempted this, you will need a really heavy duty truck rated to handle both the carrying weight PLUS the tongue and towing capacity, which would be pretty pricy.

We used to tow a 3 horse bumper pull stock trailer with a small light weight truck camper with an F350 DRW and it was quite capable, but I would never have wanted to attempt it with TC with slides.

That said, we have toyed with the idea pulling a smaller enclosed utility trailer similar to size that tows a motorcycle) with us to allow us to take my parents along with us upon retirement (once it’s safer to travel again/if we ever get this pandemic under better control nationally.) We could then design it so we could sleep in the UT and my parents could sleep in the TC. (We could also tent, but I’d prefer to be off the ground and in a hard side pod.)
Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #25

I haven't read all the posts, but the OP's idea seems crazy to me, particularly with the rather heavy trailer considered and the extension possibly needed. I can't imagine the payload number that would be required to carry and tow both at the same time. I think the OP needs to pick one or the other to use at a time. The OP mentioned no "home base" to store one, so maybe a Public Storage type place should be considered.

As to parks I think Washington State Parks would just consider that a normal fee, because it's a tow vehicle and a trailer, unless maybe you removed the camper from the truck. Then I'm not even sure they would allow it with an extra fee.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #26

Maybe the best option would be for the OP to use a service to move a large travel trailer twice a year and then get the truck and camper he wants for more frequent remote trips?
Old 10-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #27
laj

I tow with my camper, no problem. Sometimes where iím going i take the camper off, and have never had an issues with parks on fees, or anything else.
Most times i either tow my jeep, boat, or mc trailer. I think a lot depends on how you look, and present yourself. You look like a transient, look junkie no, they might tell you cannot remove camper.

You look clean, and well kept their not going to be worried their going to have an abandoned mess to clean up. I have done this through several states over many yrs. , never been refused or questioned.

Several places i go fishing there are several lakes in one area. If i want to fish a different lake for the day i donít want to tear down camp or haul the camper their. Just let the park know what iím doing, never been a problem.

Just keep your image up.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, trailer, travel, travel trailer, truck camper