RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #1

Truck Camper AND Travel Trailer?

Maybe a bit odd, however I love the idea of the TC for remote camping, but the storage and space is a bit spartan for full timing. So I'm seriously considering buying one of each, using the TT for following the weather (70 deg) and then using the TC for more adventurous camping during the shoulder months/early winter.

I'd have to have both hooked up to the truck at the same time, there will not be a home base to drop one.

I figure twice a year I drop the TT at a campground for a month and take off in the TC. The rest of the time the TT would be the primary accomodation. TT wouldn't be more than 30ft long.

Are there any restrictions in parks/campgrounds for having two rigs at once? I don't think there'd be an issue boondocking, but I will have to make some pit stops every now and then, and I wouldn't want to restrict my mobility too much.
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #2

Plan on adding the camper trailer tongue weight to the truck camper weight when configuring payload capacity for the desired truck. You will end up with a Class 3 DRW or larger by the time you factor in gear and passenger weight in the truck and camper. Most private campgrounds will charge you double for two campers even if you occupy only one spots. Public campgrounds will not care as long as you can fit both into the available space. My truck camper is 6000 lbs and I tow an 8000 lb enclosed trailer with 1000 lbs of tongue weight - For this reason I drive a Class 5 DRW truck to have sufficient capacity.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #3

Exactly what Bedlam , has posted . Most trucks will barely handle a camper , let alone both , and if your camper length requires an extended hitch reach for the trailer
Old 10-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #4

I'm planning on a modified Ford F550, that big enough?

Should add I'm looking at super singles on the back for better rough road capability.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
Plan on adding the camper trailer tongue weight to the truck camper weight when configuring payload capacity for the desired truck. You will end up with a Class 3 DRW or larger by the time you factor in gear and passenger weight in the truck and camper. Most private campgrounds will charge you double for two campers even if you occupy only one spots. Public campgrounds will not care as long as you can fit both into the available space. My truck camper is 6000 lbs and I tow an 8000 lb enclosed trailer with 1000 lbs of tongue weight - For this reason I drive a Class 5 DRW truck to have sufficient capacity.
The TT I'm looking at would be in the 8k range..

Make that 10k...
Old 10-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
What's in your trailer? I've considered a utility trailer behind the TC, but after having seen a walkthrough of the Cascade, I just can't see there being enough room in that thing for full time living. Should add that's for two and two dogs.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #7

My setup is pictured bellow on a Ram 5500. Think about where you will be taking 8-9 ton camper before going too extreme with wheels and lift kits. The DRW in 4WD is quite capable, but not a mountain goat.

I have smaller toys to take me on dunes, goat trails and even an occasional parade.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
My setup is pictured bellow on a Ram 5500. Think about where you will be taking 8-9 ton camper before going too extreme with wheels and lift kits. The DRW in 4WD is quite capable, but not a mountain goat.

I have smaller toys to take me on dunes, goat trails and even an occasional parade.

Parades....

Believe me, I'm not looking to do any 'earthroaming', if you get my drift. Just get a little further off the roads and into the NF and BLM lands. Everything will be scouted before committing the rig.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #9

When the weather turns wet and cold for dune buggies and motorcyles, the trailer will swallow up a car with room to spare up front for bicycles or scooters if we get nice day.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #10

Truck Camper AND Travel Trailer? Planning to take your mother-in-law? Perfect setup.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #11

I was recently thinking of I would love a 5th wheel and a truck camper. And of course a Godzilla truck. But then reread your post and you want to transport both at once.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post
Truck Camper AND Travel Trailer? Planning to take your mother-in-law? Perfect setup.
There has been talk...
Old 10-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #13

I found most private CG’s will allow you to store a trailer, not RV, in an overflow or parking area for free. State & Federal CG’s you might have to pay for 2 sites. I found it better, for me, to have my TC and an enclosed trailer with all the things I need or want in it. It’s a smaller foot print, easier to drive, and less expensive
Old 10-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I found most private CGs will allow you to store a trailer, not RV, in an overflow or parking area for free. State & Federal CGs you might have to pay for 2 sites. I found it better, for me, to have my TC and an enclosed trailer with all the things I need or want in it. Its a smaller foot print, easier to drive, and less expensive
Enough room in there for two people to full time?

I've considered pulling a trailer for storage items, but I'm really concerned with living space.

I would be looking at a double slide model, to be precise.

Tags
camper, trailer, travel, travel trailer, truck camper