Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Truck Camper - Newbie Needs Advice

Hello all--

Long time camper in pull trailers, 5th wheel, Class C and Class A. I did own a small overhead camper 30 years ago when I traveled Baja twice to Cabo and back. Used for those two trips and then sold. I traveled solo both times.

Now near retirement in the next 5-6 months (58yo), I am considering an overhead truck camper. We currently have the truck and toy hauler in my sig. Wife wants me to keep our TH, as it is great for trips near our home (within 100-300 miles), is very roomy, and she loves camping in it. It is also very nice for longer trips when we are not moving often from place to place.

Who will be in truck camper? Me, 16yo son with Autism, and hopefully wife, but she may not go on too many trips in camper (she's not a big fan due to its smaller interior compared to out TH).....time will tell if she goes often. I may even travel solo if others do not want to go.

Why do I want a truck camper? Less hassle of towing, easier to park, easier to travel in general, explore and visit areas with ability to park and sleep when necessary, easier to travel solo if required, etc. I love to fish and tow my boat when I want, visit rivers for fly fishing (new hobby), etc. These pursuits are much easier IMO with a TC. Jump in truck and GO!!!...at least I assume it's that easy!

The above are the positives, I am assuming.

The negatives I am assuming...top heavy in winds can be dangerous, limited storage, ?????.

My truck has a Max. Cargo Weight of 2980# (per Ford Spec sheet). I believe a camper at 2000# wet would be appropriate. My truck is a Ford Super Duty Standard size bed (6'-9"). It has the camper package.

I will purchase a used model
I do not want a canvas pop up.
Alaskan TC are great, but expensive and hard to find used.

Desires: AC/Heat, Refer, Micro, stove, restroom

Based on above info:

What should I be looking for, models, sizes, weights, etc.

What to avoid...models, sizes, ???

I need a complete Overhead Camper education!!!

Thanks!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #2

SoCalAngler, AND THE ADVENTURES ARE ABOT TO BEGIN!!!
Can't help with your questions. Since its be many many years since I have owned a TC. We are in the market for a larger TC. We have a chevy 3500 HD dually. We are considering a Lance 1172. We snowbird in a 40' fifth wheel.
There are a lot of good folks on this site that will be able to help you.
Good Luck
Safe Travels
woodworker414 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #3

You state that your truck has a 2980 lb payload capacity...but you also state that number is from a Ford Spec. sheet. You need to look on the driver side door post and see what the ACTUAL payload number is. Spec sheets are mostly fictional reading material. Once you find out the actual payload capacity, you can then go from that number and make an informed decision on the size/weight of the truck camper.

Oops, just saw your signature and you likely do not have a payload sticker in that location. I don't believe they started requiring them until 2006/2007. In that case, you may have to use the GVWR of the truck, take it to a CAT scale and get the weight of the truck, then subtract that number from the GVWR to find the actual payload available.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
laj

To get started you need to do a couple of things. Find out what your gawr is by looking at the tag on the door post. Then taking your p/u to a cat scale and weighing it with full fuel and you in it. Subtract your weight on the rear axle from the max rear axle listed.

Next look at what your max tire capacity. is. Once you have both of these you can determine now much camper your exact p/u can carry. Slides will add between 5-700lbs.

By what you’ve said above you want a fairly loaded camper. Not going to be light.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #5

I've had 2 truck campers, the first one a had a popup top, a Sunlite model. It weighed about 2,000 pounds and had fairly spartan accomodations but compared to a tent it was quite luxurious. Sunlite is no longer in business. Closest thing I know of to their product is 4Wheel campers - if they're still around. The second one was a Lance 1010, a hardsided camper about 10 feet long - it hung over the end of an eight foot truck bed. It weighed about 3,700 pounds. I don't think you're going to be able to find a hardsided camper that's less than 2,000 pounds wet - advertised weights seem to run light - without seeing an actual weight ticket I'd take the manufacturer's numbers with a grain of salt. Good luck with your search.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was considering a Lance 825 that is approx. 2000# dry
I prefer a hard side
Old 01-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Found this CAT weight form from a few years ago when I was weighing for a pull trailer.....

Door sticker specs states:
FT GAWR: 4250#
RR GAWR: 6830#
​​​​​​​GVWR: 9700#
GCVWR: 17000#
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUCK WEIGHT.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	315551  
Old 01-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #8
laj

But what is the empty weight of the ra? you will only get about 2.5% or less then 200lbs of the camper total weight on the frt. axle.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Found these two Palominos...

1860# dry weight:
https://www.theoutpostrv.com/default...=xAllInventory

2460# dry weight

https://www.theoutpostrv.com/default...=xAllInventory
Old 01-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #10

I have a 96 F250 4x4 with a large Coachman camper for travelling around Alaska. I can pull my boat or other trailer as needed so it is quite handy.

Be very careful of overloading the rear tires. Mine are near max and a dually would be more appropriate.

I have not had difficulty in winds, but I run a bit slower when it is pushing me around.

I wish I had more fresh water capacity and dual batteries. Of course, this adds more weight.

Best wishes.
AKjohn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #11
laj

I looked at your weight ticket and if you had full fuel, you, and nothing else you have approx. 3670 to max axle.

As for palomino’s i would rather have a sears 2 man pup tent and the left over money. Quite simply their junk.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
I looked at your weight ticket and if you had full fuel, you, and nothing else you have approx. 3670 to max axle.

As for palomino’s i would rather have a sears 2 man pup tent and the left over money. Quite simply their junk.
I'd go more with the GVWR as the determining factor.

GVWR is 9700 lbs. Truck with full fuel weighs in a 6900 lbs. That leaves 2800 lbs for payload. Weight adds up quickly so, in my opinion, the OP needs to go with what he first started with,, something around 2000 lbs or less.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ford Capacities

I was referred to these capacities by a truck camper dealer......

my payload is 3860#:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/20...pecifications/

ALSO.....forgot to mention....

My truck has a topper and CargoGlide slide in truck bed. Topper is approx. 300# and CG is approx. 200#. That is 500# that would be removed from the 6900# truck weight. 6400# is truck weight. So I have about 3300# for a wet weight camper.

Really like the new Wolf Creek 890 with a propane genny.

Thoughts?

Tags
advice, camper, newbie, truck camper