RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Truck Camper on Flat Bed?

We're thinking of 'downsizing' from our current 43' 5th wheel to a truck camper. I'm having a hard time finding information or manufacturers online that offer anything that can be mounted on the 11' long flat deck of our 2018 Ram 5500 CC. I'd appreciate if someone could give me a few pointers, custom or semi custom would work too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

We have a Host Mammoth on our 2019 Ram 5500. Douglass service body. We downsized from a 43 ft motor home
mcwyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I'm assuming you have a 8' body on a 60" cab/axle frame?

A friend of mine who owns a truck & trailer outfitting business recommended Host to me some time ago, I totally forgot about them. I'll have to give them a call in the morning and see if they can work with my setup or what we have to do to make it work. However, if you could post a pic or two that'd be awesome
Old 07-31-2020, 05:55 AM   #4

Yes to both. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will. New to this forum.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #5

I called Host Industries and had a good talk with the GM. After he looked at photos and measurements that I sent him he replied it would only take a few 'simple' modifications to make it work, like shortening the generator and the propane compartments, repositioning the gray tank drain, installing a different style ladder and shortening or removing the rub rails on the deck - but outside storage galore and they are willing to customize within reason. The only problem at the moment is viewing one of their truck campers or travelling to the factory during the current coronavirus crisis.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #6

I have a Mammoth on a 5500. My Ram has a 9' deck and four 4' boxes that fit under the camper wings. I have two additional 3' boxes under the deck which adds to the storage.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #7

If you're on Facebook there is a very active Host truckcamper group. If there is one in your area I'm sure an owner would be happy to show you their's.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #8

Thanks guys for the great information!

I found a post from SherpTec Truck Beds from Aug. 6 2019 on Host's FB page with photos, I will have to figure out if that long overhang (5' - 6'?) on the back could have a negative effect on the handling of the truck. Here is a pic of my truck, I would really like to keep the fueltank toolbox combo on the deck if possible, having side panels built locally would be a piece of cake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_105859_resized.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	295664   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_105923_resized.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	295665  

Old 08-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #9

That looks like a 84" CA chassis cab. The rear edge of the deck to the axle is not different than the 60" CA models, so CG of the camper is fine. As long as you have 8-9' of deck left, there is no reason to remove your tank but you may have trouble reaching the tool box latches once the camper is loaded.

You can add enclosed side boxes if you want dry storage. Side panels will still allow dirt and moisture into that area.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #10

That's what I was thinking, I have 99 1/2" from the back of the toolbox to the back to the deck. I may have to come up with some kind of a tool to reach the handles. Weight shouldn't be a problem with 6,160lbs on the front and on the rear axle when fully loaded, fueled up (150 gal) and my wife and me in the truck. I agree with the side panels, they would only keep lose items from flying off and maybe provide a more streamlined look - but perfect for storing our Camp Chef 2 burner stove, a spare LPG tank and the gazebo. Also, going this route would safe cost by not having to need the LPG and generator compartments modified and therefore making it easier to sell later on when the time comes.

Comments?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #11

Update: Arctic Fox 1140

Due to the border being closed for probably the rest of the year or longer, a lead time of 4 months (or more?), not being able to view a Host truck camper in person and forced to rely solely on trust (selling dealer) when making a sizable cross border transaction we decided to order an AF 1140 with the 'mandatory' Fox Value Package, Truma Comfort Plus, side box awning, upgraded fridge with icemaker, 3 Maxxair 7500K fans, 11k AC, convection microwave, the lightest interior color option available at the time of manufacture and we deleted the TV and gas oven.

We also looked at the Eagle Cap 1200 and a Lance 1172. We were completely disappointed in the Eagle Cap we saw with trim peaces lying on the floor, a lousy caulking job on the outside seams and an extremely low ceiling, I am 6'3" tall. The Lance we saw was nice but we liked the AF better for no particular reason.

Thanks to Bedlam, I learned that a flatdeck can be an advantage not disadvantage for carrying a truck camper, the center of gravity is still well ahead of the rear axle even with the fueltank toolbox combo on the deck. I am planning to build either side panels or cargo boxes from Crezon or form ply and have them LineX coated like the rest of the deck.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #12

If AF built larger campers like Host, I might be on my second Arctic Fox rather than switching brands. I was very happy with my AF811, but I am not disappointed in my Host Mammoth. I understand the reluctance to buy an RV sight unseen and would probably take the same route as you with something I could actually put my eyes on rather than just go by pictures or owner feedback.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #13

Arctic Fox built a single prototype with 3 slides but probably dropped it because of the weight exceeding the carrying capacity of 1 ton trucks.

Tags
camper, truck camper