Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

A good one from the "noise police"

I wanted to share this little story that happened to us a few months ago at a relatively small RV park. We had been there for a couple of weeks and all the folks around were very nice, we got to know most of our neighbors.

Sunday about the time we were ready to check out (a little after 12:30 PM for the 1:00 checkout time) I brought up the leveling jacks and fired up the engine for the normal 4 minute "air up" time. About a minute into the air up time there was a sharp rap on the entry door. I opened the door and was greeted by a lady with her hands on her hips. "Who is running this thing?!" she says. "That would be me" I reply. "Why? Its bothering every one in the RV park!" she said. I say "uhhh.. I have to leave."

She responds "Well, why do you have to leave?" at which time I calmly informed her of our travel plans. But before I could finish she was sheepishly walking back to her RV that was parked a couple of spots down from us.

Following my usual routine, air up complete, shut down, bring in slides, unhook electric, and do a walkaround. 5 minutes later I see her sitting with a group of other women, her back to me. I walk up and tap her on the shoulder.."May I start the engine and proceed to the highway now?" She turned red while all her friends burst out in laughter. "Yes you may, she said, and have a good trip." she finally said laughing at herself.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #2

That is perhaps the best response I've ever read about. No-one got mad, no hurt feelings, and you left the complainer laughing at herself.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #3

That was a good reply, sometimes people just do not think and of course some just must complain about everything..They should just think before speaking...Happy camping
Old 08-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Good story and nicely done!
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #5

4 minutes to air up.........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's funny...but...how about this...

We arrived last month, at a nice CG in Socal with LOTS of long-term residents. We've been there before and expect most of the best sites are taken.

It's a hot July day in SoCal at 1pm, so the generator is powering the roof aircon.
We pull up and drop the leveling jacks with engine running (whisper quiet gas coach at idle). I shut off the engine and exit to make shore ties (generator still humming - whisper quiet Onan QG5500).

Within moments of being outside, a woman has marched over from a nearby travel trailer demanding to know why I am running the generator. "You know there are quiet hours here...?"

Yes, I responded, explaining that it's only 1 in the afternoon and I will shut off the generator as soon as the plug is in the post.

She exclaims that there is no need for the generator to be running and I should turn it off.

By this time, I am holding the shore power cord and explain the the AirCon is running inside which uses generator power when not on the shore power. And that the generator will be shut off as soon as the shore tie is connected...as soon as I can get to it.

She then points to a SAT TV antenna on a frame at the edge of the spot..."You can't camp here, the people left their dish!"

Errr, the manager gave us the spot, I reply. I think that the long-term'ers just leave those things and the manager collects them...when they get to it (which this campground does).

She turned and marched back to her Travel Trailer.

All the while my Mrs and her cousin were inside peeking out at the exchange from the windows of the coach.

"What was that all about, they asked. I couldn't even explain it...and to this day, can't.

It takes all kinds

P.S. We waved everytime we walked by her spot while walking our pups...she did wave back. No hurt feeling, I hope
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Those kind of folks want to run everyone elses life and need to spend more time with their own life.

You are really tempted to tell them to P-off of to just go pound sand, but you need to take the high road and be polite to them.

We had one complain that I still had the truck running...it was 98 degrees outside, the dog and parrot were in the truck while I was getting ready to unhook. I was hot and in no mood for her "comments". I told her that she needed to go sit in her nice cool trailer and worry about her problems, turned around and walked off. She stood there a few moments and finally left.

I got the trailer plugged in, A/C running, unhooked the truck, leveled the trailer and extended the slides. Once the trailer started cooling, I moved the pets to the trailer and shutdown the truck.

Later I told the folks in the office about her and they just laughed and said she was their MS. Kravitz.

You meet all kinds in the RV campgrounds, but they are mostly good folks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Our recent story.

We just pulled in and backed the fifth wheel into the site. Very well treed grounds and was like putting a roast in a tea cup.
I did it, with finesse I might add, but the site was a bit unlevel so with my Cummins running, I had to do a bit of jostling to get the required blocks on one low side.

The neighbors watched as I methodically went about doing my job. Cummins still "Clacking" away. Temps were in the 90's. I was sweating profusely. Suddenly, I hear "Can we help you with anything"?
I said "No, I've just about got it"
A few seconds later, I feel a tap on my shoulder and hear "Nice job on the parking, My names Tom and you look like you could use this" and hands me an ice cold beer!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This happened last Summer in upstate New York.

We were there to visit my oldest Daughter and see her youngest son graduate from High School. I had traveled three days with my Wife and two young Grandchildren.

I pulled into the campground where my Daughter and her Husband have a year round trailer. As I pulled in I noted that the drive split. One fork went up a hill to the office, which was blocked, and the other led to the campground passing by what looked to be a restaurant. There was a sign that said, "All campers stop here", so I pulled up to the sign and stopped. My Wife climbed the small hill to the office.

She came out and said I had pulled in too far as the campsite was to the left just after we had turned in. I didn't see it at the time. I couldn't back up with the car attached so the office had said to pull ahead into the parking lot of the restaurant and turn around. No problem.

As I pulled ahead I was confronted with orange cones that restricted the path past the restaurant making it very narrow. I squeezed by okay until the rear of the awning caught on the rain gutter of the portico over the entrance where it tore a bit of the rain gutter loose. I immediately stopped and looked at the situation.

I decided I had to unhook the car and back out so I got back into the motorhome and was just shutting down when I heard a flow of profanity outside my drivers window. I opened the window and was greeted with the vilest curse words I have ever heard coming from a woman, standing twenty feet away. She called me every name in the book until I finally asked her what was her problem. Well, she was the owner and had just had the parking lot sealed and no one was supposed to drive on it. I told her that the office had instructed me to turn around there and she yelled that then they were all fired! I shut down the engine. My Grandchildren who had heard this whole conversation were saying, "Get her Grandpa!"
I told her I wasn't moving until this got straightened out.

The drive and parking lot had been sealed a week prior. Not that day.

She proceeded to go into the office and holler and yell about the stupid guy in her parking lot. Of course my Lawyer Wife was at the desk and took umbrage to her defamation of me. It got heated. I refused to move.

Finally her son drove up with a four wheeler and said I could just drive through the parking lot into the permanent campground, make a loop and come back out. I asked if he would take me through on his four wheeler to check it out and he gladly did so. I mentioned that I thought his Mother needed blood pressure pills and he replied she need powerful tranquilizers!

We never saw her again the whole week we were there. The final day we got in touch and gave our insurance information for the repairs, which was a couple hundred dollars. I wanted her to knock on our door and ask for it, but she did not.

I found out during the course of the week that everyone there had been told to get out or been fired at one time or another.

She needed the Dale Carnegie School of How to Win Friends and Influence Enemies.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What she needed was a swift kick in the pants
or a defamation suit from your wife
Old 08-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
What she needed was a swift kick in the pants
or a defamation suit from your wife
Since my Daughter and her Husband spend a lot of time there we just wanted to get along and not start trouble for them. I was pretty mad however and wanted to leave, but my Wife's cooler head prevailed.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise