Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Black Tank Gusher!!!

About two years ago, while still a real newbie, I was flushing my black tank using the santi-flush and nearly forgot to turn off the flush water in before the tank got completely full. I wondered what would happen if I hadn't remembered to turn the water off when I did so I posted on this forum a question as to what would happen.

The answers I got described very accurately what happened this morning!

I drained the black tank, flushed a bit using the santi-flush and then closed the valve to fill the tank and flush it out again. Yep... I forgot the water was running while I came back inside the coach and played on the PC until my wife asked why all that water was pouring off of our patio awning!

The black tank had filled and backed up into the toilet as much as it could before spouting out of the vent tube on the roof... can you say Robin Williams?

Fortunately the tank had already been dumped and rinsed once so it wasn't as bad as it could have been and washing everything down with tons of clear water did the trick.

I don't think I made these mistakes when I was younger!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

I don't think I made these mistakes when I was younger!
Yes you did, you just wouldn't admit them!

In the end, no harm no foul. My luck it would have leaked through the vent pipe filling the wall up.

**Note to self, remember this if one of those systems enters my life.**
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
"Thou shalt not multitask when the black tank is involved"

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #4

Kinda reminds me of a guy that touted a tank cleaning home-brew. His website said to fill each tank until it ran out the vents on the roof. When I inquired how to do that to gray tanks, he re-wrote his instructions to eliminate that, and disappeared from the RV forums.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Since our "incident", DH carries a kitchen timer with a clip on it that attaches it to his belt loop. Once set, even if he gets distracted, the beeping reminds him to go back & attend to the tank flush. Haven't had a repeat since.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #6

A cousin bought a new motor home in the fall of 04. He took a workcamping job in FL and invited several of us cousins to join him. The day before we arrived he hooked up a water hose to the sani-flush connetion, thinking it was the fresh water connection, then went to work. Yep, you're correct! When he returned to his MH there was about 2" of water inside and running out door. Faulty seal on toilet. We were surprised he told on himself.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
A few years ago I told my youngest son to fill up the water tank on the RV and he hooked up the hose to the black tank flush instead of the fill connection and let it rip while he went off to do something else.

A few minutes later a friend pulled in the driveway and asked why water was pouring out of the back of the MH. Water filled the tank, then the toilet and then ran along the carpeted floor of the back bedroom and drained between the floor and the back wall. Thank God the tank was clean. Spent a few hours with the wet/dry vac sucking the water out of the carpet. I now check my son's work...
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I enjoy learning from the mistakes of others. It saves me time from repeating them.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two black tanks and one of them is also connected to a sink. I have done the same thing, not once but twice and luckily it comes out the sink, but still not fun to clean the floors of water.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure you don't flush the john while it's pressurized. Don't ask how I know.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Isn't it great that we can maintain our sense of humor?

Reading about connecting fresh water to sani-flush and going to work, and flushing the toilet while "pressurized" almost gave me another mess to clean up!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You know, I'll bet there's a wealth of "don't do this" info on this site & it's amazing how many of us have followed in each others footsteps.

Maybe we oughta start an "Embarrassing Oops Moments" Forum so others can learn from (& possibly avoid) our experiences.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You mean like driving off with your flag pole still up? Nobody would ever admit to something like that.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I swear this is a true story (but we didn't do it) and we have promised the couple that they will remain anonymous.

Mr. QWERTY was going to flush his (not empty) black tank on their 5th wheel. He started the flush leaving the black tank valve closed. Minutes, probably many minutes later, Mr. QWERTY wandered inside and heard a HISS from the toilet. Wondering what the sound was he stepped on the pedal to flush the toilet. Well it (you know what I mean) came up in his face, covered the water-closet, and actually hit the vent fan and made a mess on the roof. He ran outside and hosed himself off while DW worked on cleaning the water-closet with disinfectant.

It really hit the fan.

I hear they didn't talk all the way home.

This true story has caused many of sore stomachs when the story is retold around a campfire.

We have witnesses