Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Everybodys gotta have a Maiden Voyage

During the first two weeks that we had our motorhome it spent the first week at the mechanic's getting the oil changed, the transmission cleaned and a general tune up.
The second week we set out from our home in the mountains NE of Fresno CA to go to Pismo Beach for a wedding. First stop was for new tires, mounted, balanced and ready to travel. We set off with an almost full tank of fuel, knowing I would need to get more somewhere along the way.

Wow, got to Pismo, checked out the local outlet mall, and checked into the KOA Avila Beach.

Next day we headed for the wedding site, negotiated the narrow streets with out so much as an exchange of paint, but had to park many blocks away (lots of tourists! Where did they come from and why don't they go home so we can park closer?). We went to the wedding and reception. By the time it was over I was tired and looking forward to getting back to camp. But wait! Mrs. M. left the gift in the coach. So I drove back to the hotel so she could drop off the gift in person. At the hotel there was a turn around at the end of the street that dead-ended at the beach.

PROBLEM -- in the turn around I needed to back up and the Palm tree that wasn't there when I went forward WAS there when I went backward.
SMASHED --
the bumper, but no damage to the tree or the coach other than a curve in the bumper.
LESSON -- have someone back of you to yell, “STOP!!!” or pound on the side of the coach when you are about to smash into something. Remember G-O-A-L “Get Out And Look!” Yup, now I remember!

Left Pismo for home the next day and stopped in Atascadero for lunch at Atascadero’s outlet mall. Remember shopping? Then we headed for Paso Robles, but wait. Mrs. M. wanted to go to a farm supply store for some egg cartons. I took the wrong exit, but there was an underpass under the railroad that would get us on the right road, so we took it.
PROBLEM -- our rig is about 11'4" high and the underpass was 10" 8" high.
SCRAPE, CRUNCH -- the top of the coach and the front air was, well, destroyed.
LESSON -- know the height of your rig. Now there is a tape on the dashboard that reminds the driver of the vehicle’s height.

So, two, no three lessons learned:
1) Have eyes on the ground when backing
2) Know the height of your rig
3) Have great insurance
and maybe a forth lesson; Damage done was fixable and not worth the stress it could have caused. The good side is we got a new roof and air unit for the price of the deductible.

Did we have a good time? You bet. As soon as our home was repaired we were out again!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you need a toad.

All trips are an adventure as you just found out.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Wink Toad in tow

Our maiden voyage was a few years ago, and now we have a great little Honda five speed civic, that if the Mrs. puts in neutral tows without me even knowing it's there. If in gear it bucks and complains for a few feet til I stop and really put it in neutral.

Actually, in all fairness to her, it just happened once. After that I check all issues, key on, gear in neutral, doors and windows closed, electrical hooked up, hitch locked in place at rig and toad, you getr the idea. A regular and real checklist, just like the compartment doors fridge doors locked, toilet seat down, window shades up (or it the other way around?).