Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Grumpy's Springtime Tips

Here at Grumpy's Garages, where the mission statement is "If you bring it in, I can find something wrong", I want to pass along these time tested springtime maintenance tips.......Just because I'm such a nice guy......

#1) Rotate the air in the tires. Can't leave that old nasty winter air in them tires. Take the old air out, and put in fresh air. You will get better fuel mileage, and the rig will ride better. If you don't have a air compressor, then you can buy a can of winter air rejuvenator at you local auto parts store.

#2) Grease those muffler bearings. Nothing more nasty then noisy muffler bearings.

#3) Make sure you check the blinker fluid in your tow vehicle, or in your motorhome. And, PLEASE remember that there are two types of blinker fluid. The gel typed, which is DOT approved for more then 4 signals, and the liquid type, which is not approved for more then 3 blinkers.

#4) Before you take off on a night trip, check the halogen fluid in the headlights. Nothing worst then turning on the old headlights only to find out you are low on halogen fluid, and your lights are dim.

#5) For you 5th wheel owners. Check the air in the intertube of the 5th wheel. Nothing like having a flat fiver hitch.

#6) In your tool kit, make sure that you have at least one sky hook, a pair of metric pliers, left handed cresent wrench, and, most important, a metric pipe wrench.

AND, just because I'm, well, Grumpy, let me pass along these travel tips.

Insured by Smith and Wesson is a valid insurance policy in all states south Kentucky.

A "Bad cop, no doughnut" bumper sticker is P/C for getting stopped here in Illinois.

I'm just trying to be helpful.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #2

I went to the local auto parts store but they were out of blinker fluid.Do you know if I can substitute anything else?They said something about cold steam but didn't have that either.
Bob
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I went to the local auto parts store but they were out of blinker fluid.Do you know if I can substitute anything else?
The sales guy at my auto parts store said domelight fluid will work in a pinch. It won't last as long as the blinker gel, but will tide you over until you can get to the store. Oh, & don't overfill the blinker fluid reservoir or you'll drown the solution sensor - it's very expensive & a PITA to replace. Been there, done that!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I went to the local auto parts store but they were out of blinker fluid.Do you know if I can substitute anything else?They said something about cold steam but didn't have that either.
Bob

Well, I guess a bucket of steam would work, if you pour carefully.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #5

Don't forget to check the grounds on the shock absorbers!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #6

Oh my goodness........all the things we still have to learn about this RV stuff! I think my head might explode trying to remember it all.
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And don't forget to pack that ST-1. It will fix anything.

Only an ID-10-T would not know what an ST-1 is!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #8

Don't forget to tighten the nut behind the steering wheel. This will keep you from straying into the lane next to you.
Wolf-Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 AM   #9

Grumpy about the bucket of steam. On board the USS America back in 1981 we sent a newby out for a bucket of steam. This kid was good. He took a bucket down had a plate welded to the top and a spicket welded into it. He took it down to Snipe land and had it filled with steam. Then ran up to airdale land opened spicket to release steam. He had 4 hours left on his shift. He looked at supervisor told him he was done for the day and walked out of the shop.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #10

But what I was looking for was cold steam.What happens when you cool steam?
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Grumpy, you did not mention that for a RV to work properly you must tighten the Thing-a-Magiggie with a new Rolikin rod wrench which holds the Doo-Dad in place while the Gizmo is swinging back and forth causing the What-do-you-Call -it to count up to the maximum of the Gyrees concerning the rotation of the wheels in unison. This is very important if you plan to be able to back into a camp spot. Of course, on the other hand, if you just use ''pull thur'' camp spots you dont need to do this
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SAFE AND SOON
GOD BLESS OUR VETS FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS NATION
Seajay the sailor man

ps. If you use this valuable information you will have to pay me ten cents the next time you see me.
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #12

When the steam has cooled Seajay puts it into his steam chest and stands 6/6 watch over it so that the pollywogs don't contaminate it with scuttlebutt.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #13

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairIIAT View Post
Grumpy about the bucket of steam. On board the USS America back in 1981 we sent a newby out for a bucket of steam. This kid was good. He took a bucket down had a plate welded to the top and a spicket welded into it. He took it down to Snipe land and had it filled with steam. Then ran up to airdale land opened spicket to release steam. He had 4 hours left on his shift. He looked at supervisor told him he was done for the day and walked out of the shop.
When I was in the Army, I sent a kid out to rotate the air in the tires of the CO's Jeep, telling him it would give him a softer ride, and he might get an extra stripe out of it. And, he did, and the CO went looking for his Jeep, and he found the kid, with all 4 tires flat on the ground. CO didn't even have to ask....he just came looking for me. My punishment....I had to be his driver for 1 week.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Don't forget to check the grounds on the shock absorbers!

I'm soooo glad you brought this up. My cummins diesel wasn't running very good, so I checked the plug wire, and sure enough, it was loose. And for you powerstroke owners, don't forget to check the gap in your glow plugs, so you will have proper starting.

Good thing for this forum. Almost forgot about the electrical stuff.