Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Hand Signals to/for/at Your SO

Significant Others (SO) are - at the same times - the most pleasurable mates one can travel with and the most frustrating humans alive. This goes in both directions; I'm NOT playing male chauvinist!

Case-in-point: My wife and two puppies (and me included) just returned from a fantastic three week trip from Yellowstone to Washington state and south on Hwy 101 and 1 to our home in San Diego. For the most part, everything was w o n d e r f u l. But where things unraveled-at-the-ends was when I had her sit in the driver's seat (my sole place of authority) and watching me at the rear, hooking up and checking out our toad (traditionally her area).

HAND SIGNALS!!!!! It seems that within our species, there are multiple interpretations as to what hand gestures mean. As an example: When checking the electrical connections to our toad for turn signals and the rest while standing to the rear of the toad, pointing to the left means "Left Turn Signal" and pointing to the right means "Right Turn Signal." Moving your hangs in a forwardly direction means "Move Forward" to check the unlocking of the gears in the toad so that it can safely be towed.

While this all seems simple, complications can ensue and additional hand gestures can be used to express one's discontent!!!!

So, in an effort to create a list of obvious and not so obvious Hand Signals, I'd like to begin with ours (mine) and ask you who also use them, add your's (again, this is for either SO. No mater what your relationship is at the beginning of your road trip):
1. Pointing to the right - Right Turn Signal
2. Pointing to the left - Left Turn Signal
3. Both hands motioning forward - SLOWLY Give The HM Gas And Move Forward
4. Both hands up, palms facing to SO - STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Both hands on your hips - What The Hell Were You Thinking!!!
6. Head bowed in a downwardly fashion - some times shacking to the right and left and one (or both in extreme situations) hands on your head - I Just Can't Believe You Did That
7. Simply standing there with your head tilted slightly to one side - REALLY!! That's What You THOUGHT I Ment

After almost 20 years of traveling with my wife, you cannot imagine some of the unprintable gestures we sercumed to.

Well, that should start us off on this thread of Hand Gestures. Please provide your own. And KEEP SMILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Significant Others (SO) are - at the same times - the most pleasurable mates one can travel with and the most frustrating humans alive. This goes in both directions; I'm NOT playing male chauvinist!

Case-in-point: My wife and two puppies (and me included) just returned from a fantastic three week trip from Yellowstone to Washington state and south on Hwy 101 and 1 to our home in San Diego. For the most part, everything was w o n d e r f u l. But where things unraveled-at-the-ends was when I had her sit in the driver's seat (my sole place of authority) and watching me at the rear, hooking up and checking out our toad (traditionally her area).

HAND SIGNALS!!!!! It seems that within our species, there are multiple interpretations as to what hand gestures mean. As an example: When checking the electrical connections to our toad for turn signals and the rest while standing to the rear of the toad, pointing to the left means "Left Turn Signal" and pointing to the right means "Right Turn Signal." Moving your hangs in a forwardly direction means "Move Forward" to check the unlocking of the gears in the toad so that it can safely be towed.

While this all seems simple, complications can ensue and additional hand gestures can be used to express one's discontent!!!!

So, in an effort to create a list of obvious and not so obvious Hand Signals, I'd like to begin with ours (mine) and ask you who also use them, add your's (again, this is for either SO. No mater what your relationship is at the beginning of your road trip):
1. Pointing to the right - Right Turn Signal
2. Pointing to the left - Left Turn Signal
3. Both hands motioning forward - SLOWLY Give The HM Gas And Move Forward
4. Both hands up, palms facing to SO - STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Both hands on your hips - What The Hell Were You Thinking!!!
6. Head bowed in a downwardly fashion - some times shacking to the right and left and one (or both in extreme situations) hands on your head - I Just Can't Believe You Did That
7. Simply standing there with your head tilted slightly to one side - REALLY!! That's What You THOUGHT I Ment

After almost 20 years of traveling with my wife, you cannot imagine some of the unprintable gestures we sercumed to.

Well, that should start us off on this thread of Hand Gestures. Please provide your own. And KEEP SMILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun
IMO, it doesn't matter what hand signals are used.

What "matters" is that the signalee understands what the signaler is signaling.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #3

Two Motorolas, less than $20 a pair.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydglydrydr View Post
Two Motorolas, less than $20 a pair.
Hand signals, FREE.... (and never a dead battery).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Cell phones, one on speaker

DH and I rode motorcycles in group formation so we use those the the exception of, the arms extended over head and crossed which means STOP! We use the cell phone if we are parking after dark.
Whatever signals you use, be consistent and make sure you both understand what is meant by each signal. The "universal" signal should only be used in dire circumstances!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #6

This thread was intended to be a bit more humorous. Really!!

Yes, I do understand the radio thing. But...
Old 09-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Yes, I do understand the radio thing. But...
but, I am pondering the hand signal if your SO reads this post.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #8

My DW and I both met while working on the ramp for a major airline. We used to marshall in passenger aircraft Into their assigned gates so our signaling is a little different, but we totally understand each other when it comes to precision RV parking!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

'97 MACA (Shurley)
Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
but, I am pondering the hand signal if your SO reads this post.
Fortunately she NEVER reads from this forum. Fortunately for me!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What I want to know is the difference between one finger raised on one hand and one finger raised on each hand.

LEN
Old 09-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
What I want to know is the difference between one finger raised on one hand and one finger raised on each hand.

LEN
I thought is was simply waving at one person or two persons but for the life of I can never seem to see those other people being waved at!
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
One finger raised and directed towards another person means "you're #1 in my book." We truck drivers receive "the Number One Award" on countless occasions. I can never figure out why they never use the index finger though.......
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #13

Even with the walkie talkies or phones if the driver does not know left from right you are still in deep doodoo
JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When checking the toad lights:
1. Pointing left means all the left turn lights work
2. Pointing right means all the right turn lights work
3. Closed fist means the brake (Stop) lights all work.

When backing up:
A closed fist always means STOP!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote