Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #71

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
The OP mentioned the MH roaring by and I just now remembered the roaringest thing that ever passed me back in 1970.

A Turbine powered Trailways bus. I was in the Marine Corps then and me and the guys with me in my van wanted to hit the deck. We thought a jet was about to hit us.
Wow, Sorry if I'm of topic but I didn't know they put any turbine powered vehicles into production. I do remember a few of the Detroit experimental cars in the early 60's had turbine power, and of corse there are plenty of jet (turbine) aircraft.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #72

We were not allowed to be stoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Wow, Sorry if I'm of topic but I didn't know they put any turbine powered vehicles into production. I do remember a few of the Detroit experimental cars in the early 60's had turbine power, and of corse there are plenty of jet (turbine) aircraft.

Yes, Ford Turbine power. Even Greyhound got into the act. I remember, as it passed, the huge exhaust sticking out.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
I NEVER drive faster than my guardian angel can fly

Jimmy
Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #74

yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
ON rural roads I usually drive the speed limit as long as its 55 or slower. If traffic is light and passing is easy, I will usually drive a little slower and watch for nudist camps or ladies mowing their yards while topless. On two lane roads if I get cars behind me I will always look for a place to let them pass. I try to do this by stopping in front of nudest camps or ladies mowing their yards while topless. I especially do this for the trucks because they are making a living and paying SS taxes on the money they make and I figure I got two or three of them SUPPORTING MY SORRY BUTT with Social Security taxes. I aint about to ''bite'' the hand that is ''feeding me''..........
My motto is .......GO SLOW AND LOOK FOR THE NUDEST CAMPS AND LADIES MOWING THEIR LAWN WHILE TOPLESS........

God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe.........
Thank a vet for your freedom ...... nuff said I guess.....
Topless is the best.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
The OP mentioned the MH roaring by and I just now remembered the roaringest thing that ever passed me back in 1970.

A Turbine powered Trailways bus. I was in the Marine Corps then and me and the guys with me in my van wanted to hit the deck. We thought a jet was about to hit us.
Greyhound's version:
Greyhound Lines Americruiser Buses
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #76

C'mon, nobody likes the cartoon? This is the RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories forum. Ha Ha.?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #77

Woody perhaps it hits too close to some for comfort_.
That Greyhound add says it is quiet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #78

I read that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Woody perhaps it hits too close to some for comfort_.
That Greyhound add says it is quiet.
I read that too so I'm wondering how do you make a jet engine quiet?

I remember seeing the big exhaust pipe out the rear and up high on the Trailways bus.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy F View Post
I NEVER drive faster than my guardian angel can fly

Jimmy
That's got to be my favorite response so far.

As some of you know, the speed limit on CA highways and interstates is 65 for two axle vehicles less than 26000 lbs. Anything over two axles or 26,000 lbs is 55, yeah thats us motor homes with a toad, or any travel or 5th wheel trailer.

With that said, I find my favorite speed to be about 62.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #80

Back to the OP who averaged 60 MPH over the 2,500 mile entire trip. One would have to drive much faster than 60 to obtain that average driving that mileage.
I know I use 50 MPH when calculating where my fuel stops and over-nights should be, and sometimes I don't reach my expected point.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote