Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:05 AM   #15

Do it on dirt, instant pavement.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
ok, next project is flushing the brake fluid, then update us on how divorce court is going!

For brake and power steering fluid, a lazy man's way is to suck out the reservoir with a battery fluid filler and then refill it with fresh fluid. If you do this a couple of times a month apart to allow the fluid to mix, you get most of the old fluid changed.
Some people will have heart burn over this method, but it does work and makes sense. That said, a full system flush is still the best method, but most people won't take the time or expense so the system just gets neglected (which is not good)

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
For brake and power steering fluid, a lazy man's way is to suck out the reservoir with a battery fluid filler and then refill it with fresh fluid. If you do this a couple of times a month apart to allow the fluid to mix, you get most of the old fluid changed.
Some people will have heart burn over this method, but it does work and makes sense. That said, a full system flush is still the best method, but most people won't take the time or expense so the system just gets neglected (which is not good)

I have no problem with the "replace fluid in the master cylinder only" as long as this is done annually AND (yes, big AND) a full bleed is done every 3 years.

Have done this for years on all my vehicles with hydraulic brakes.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Concord,

One time, my son-in-law used the pan I have and put the one he usually uses in the garbage bag where mine was. I hadn't realized this until after I got to the storage place where the rig is located. I put the pan down and pulled the drain plug. I watched as the oil quickly filled the small "reservoir" at the top and then over flowed. Have you seen almost six quarts spread out on the floor? Not me since then. I was lucky I had lots of old t-shirts on hand as rags. This pan had a plug that wasn't opened. I've never used a pan like it before.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:46 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I actually changed my oil in my F-53 2 weeks ago (it was my first time changing oil on a RV). I saw and was anticipated things as OP raised. I actually was able to change my oil with the only drop being when I was trying to pour the new oil from a gallon container.

Here is what I did.

I bought a Fumoto valve ( F106N) but it will only be meaningful on my next oil change

I tried to pump oil out using my Mighty Vac Oil extractor but it never got a vacuum to pump out

On the oil change.

I put some of the the drop painters plastic over my driveway concrete floor about a 3' X 3' and put my 7 liter drain pan right in center.

When plug was pulled yes it hit the axle but the splatter made the pan, yes it did get on my hand but I expect that with all my vehicles so as soon as I drop the plug I quickly pick up the oil towel so nothing made it to my wrist

When I got to the filter, I moved the pan over so it was centered under oil filter. When I started to turn the filter I went very slowly; when it first started to drain oil, I stopped and allowed it to drain until a crawl and then I would turn more and more controlling the stream which also hit the axle. Some of this splatter hit the plastic. When filter was off; it was full of oil; so I had to be careful to hold it upright until I was able to flip over in the drain pan. My drain pan is enclosed and has a place for filter to rest when draining.

When finished I took the oil towel and wiped down the axle very good. Put on new Fumoto valve and new oil filter. Pulled it all out and was surprised not a drop of oil was wasted.

Next time

I will use a tube to flow directly to pan so axle stays clean
I will use a cut plastic coke liter bottle under the oil filter to catch that oil when it comes out
I will fill the new oil using quart oil bottles versus that 1 gallon container. Even with very long oil funnels / spouts it is very hard to fill new oil in my model with a large container.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:04 PM   #20

From my "My Documents\Humor" directory...
This is at 20-25 years old...

Mike
= = = = =
Oil change instructions for women:

1) Note that the mileage has reached 5000 miles since the last oil change.
2) Stop at Starbucks, buy a large coffee.
3) Pull up to Jiffy Lube.
4) Drink coffee, look at a magazine, watch some TV.
5) 25 minutes later, pay and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil change: $25
Total: $25+Coffee
==========
Oil change instructions for men:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, pay $50.
2) Remember garage fridge is low on beer, buy a case for $20, drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid’s pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for proper size box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil. Splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up. Crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
19) Remember drain plug from step 10.
20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
21) Drink beer.
22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame, removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
25) Begin cussing fit.
26) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit and broke bowling trophy.
28) Beer.
29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
30) Beer.
31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
32) Beer.
33) Lower car from jack stands.
34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during above steps.
35) Beer.
36) Test drive car.
37) Get pulled over: Arrested for driving under the influence.
38) Car gets impounded.
39) Call loving wife, make bail.
40) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts: $50
Beer: $20
DUI: $X
Impound fee: $Y
Bail: $Z
Total: around here about $4,200-$4,500... from $70+X+Y+Z...
Knowing the job was done correctly: Priceless.
= = = = =
Old 11-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #21

Do you know that you can raise the jack enough to place the drain pan on top of the axle? So when you go to remove it, you can dump the oil all at once.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #22

[emoji1787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Do you know that you can raise the jack enough to place the drain pan on top of the axle? So when you go to remove it, you can dump the oil all at once.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:42 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
I don't get under my RV with Jack raised at all. The one thing I like about the F-53 is there is plenty of room underneath so lift, stands or raising is needed ad at.

While not optimum, oil hitting the axle is not as messy as it sounds it could be, if larger enough drain pan is directly underneath on ground. If one wants perfection ( I do); they should buy one of the Fumoto valves with nipple, or similar for their future oil changes.

You do give me an idea, as I have a smaller opened drain pan that I use for the motorcycles; it would fit above the axle. Next time I remove the oil filter, I will try it versus cutting a plastic liter bottle to catch the oil
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #24

For some model cars that I changed oil on, I would take a piece of cardboard and fold it with a crease then wedge it under the oil drain plug. This would act as a slide to direct the oil flow into the waste pan and and not splatter on a cross member frame.

Here is an example of a guy changing oil on a lawn mower using cardboard.
https://www.familyhandyman.com/artic...change-trough/
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To the kind folks who have taken a genuine interest in helping me be more successful at changing my oil. Thanks.

I do have to admit, I've been changing my oil in my motorhomes since 1986... Usually with very few problems - or drips. Just goes to show you that I can get hurried , sloppy and lacksidasical.

Just figured people could relate to the occasional issues. - I might look into that little valve add-on though..

Thanks again!
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #26

Spilled oil killed my grass. Next time I'll change it over some weeds.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:31 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Just changed the air over to winter rated air in my brake lines. Took about two hours laying underneath on the heated floor. The grass will have to get cut another day. The alleged snoring must have been the faulty inverter that’ll need winter electric added next Saturday.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #28

By the way make sure you put on rubber gloves before you dip your hands in the hot oil... nothing better than a glove filled with hot oil and of course easy removal of the glove ain't going to happen. This just might be the right time to install that quick shut off valve in the crank case. Oh one last piece of advice so your become a real pro at changing oil.... do it on a very hot day and try for asphalt.... extremely hot and doesn't show the oil drops as much a concrete.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10