Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:35 AM   #1

"I fixed it myself!"

Here's a funny story about a fix-it job that I did which I was so proud of. I am a single female owning a nearly 20-year-old Class C RV and I was on my first trip. I didn't have all the systems usable, such as running water or propane in the tank, because I wanted to get the plumbing and gas lines checked before ever using them. But I still wanted to use the RV for this trip so I just made do and was surprisingly comfortable even without the use of all of the features.

Well, all was great until the second evening when I was getting ready for bed after an 8-hour day of driving. Parked in a Cracker Barrel parking lot, I was just getting comfortable snuggled down into the bed when a beep...beep...beep noise started going off. I knew it was the LP gas warning noise, I did know that much. What I did NOT know was how to make it quit.

To make a long story short, two hours later of me making a makeshift bed on the floor so I could reach over and hit the kill button (which would buy me about two minutes of peace) I was about to lose my mind and I had started crying. I finally realized that the answer was in the manual if I could find it. I found it in a drawer and quickly looked up the problem and how to fix it. It said to locate that fuse and pull it out. Easier said than done. I tried using an eyebrow tweezer but after a dozen tries I quit in frustration. Then I remembered seeing something like a spare fuse kit in a kitchen drawer when I was going through things that the previous owner had left behind. Thinking "oh please let there be a fuse-puller in there!" I snatched open the drawer and lo and behold, a fuse puller!!! I snatched that fuse out and instant nirvana. Oh, it felt so good to be able to solve that situation myself!

Just thought I'd share that one so you can all get a good laugh.
GA Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, where are things when you need them. Glad you found the puller and had a good nights sleep. Good luck on your shake down cruise and hope all systems are a go in the near future. Enjoy and Be Safe!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:40 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So the explosive gas alarm was going off every 2 minutes so you removed power..

Would it not have been better to remove the CAUSE of the alarm?
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

Alarm had probably aged out. They are only good for 5 years. OP also stated no propane on board. Anyhow story made me smile.
TheQuades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #5

Had one go bad in our 2014 Phaeton; we have no propane but the alarm would continue to go off. Had to get a new one.
If Amazon doesn't have it, you don't need it!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
So the explosive gas alarm was going off every 2 minutes so you removed power..

Would it not have been better to remove the CAUSE of the alarm?
Let's go ahead and read the OP's posts for a change before responding. Clearly says NO PROPANE and I WILL GET IT THE SYSTEM CHECKED OUT BEFORE USING.

Great bit of deduction and learning and alot of wisdom in proceeding cautiously with a used (or new for that matter) coach before using. The OP will be telling us how to do things before long.

GREAT JOB.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Let's go ahead and read the OP's posts for a change before responding. Clearly says NO PROPANE and I WILL GET IT THE SYSTEM CHECKED OUT BEFORE USING.
Did I say PROPANE in my earlier post? NO,, I said Explosive Gas... And I wonder how much and how many different variaties of explosive gas he has on board.. Or you have on board.. (Or for that matter I have on board).

Propane is just ONE of the explosive gasses it can detect...
Methane, Butane (most any ___ane) Alcohol,, Gasoline, Hair Spray propellent, To name just a few others.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:03 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Did I say PROPANE in my earlier post? NO,, I said Explosive Gas... And I wonder how much and how many different variaties of explosive gas he has on board.. Or you have on board.. (Or for that matter I have on board).

Methane, Butane (most any ___ane) Alcohol,, Gasoline, Hair Spray propellent, To name just a few others.
Not to mention dog flatulence- our old detector picked that up too.

Or it did right up until the day it aged out and started beeping continuously. Of course then it had to be replaced.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Maybe you should cut back on your hair spray!!

Glenn
Old 06-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Glad it worked out for you. Have fun with your RV.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #11

When was the last time you changed your LP gas detector or smoke alarms in your RV or house?

They are only rated for 10 years of service.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #12

I had Fits over my LP gas Alarm, Battery unhooked, PP tanks unhooked. I tried EVERY thing, finally I figured it was bad. went to get a new one and was told I had to bring in Old one first, after I got home I CUT the wires to the LP Alarm!? WTH, in my hand it was still beeping, I set it outside and went back into the Trailer??!! STILL beeping inside. with my Damn hearing aids I cant pinpoint sound, YA, the Smoke alarm battery was bad.
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my old motorhome, when the smoke alarm went off, the coffee was ready😋

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:

It would have been nice if you would have explained that, might have been useful, OH but wait, you just did.