RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
It's outside the box

The other day my wife and I were thirsty and decided to visit a McDonalds for something to drink. We were greeted by a nice young feminine server at the counter. A root beer float was something I was salivating for. The response - "What is a float?" After explaining what a float was, I was told they did not have root beer available.

I asked what sodas do you have? She named the available choices. I fondly remembered orange ice cream sodas as one of my childhood favorites. I decided to have an orange ice cream float (soda) and placed my order.

The response, "We cannot do that." Even after conferring with the manager, it was determined that a float was not on the menu or in the computer so it could not be produced.

Again, I explained. Take the soda cup, place some ice cream in it and then fill it with soda. No, that cannot be done. Each item is measured and tabulated by the computer. The computer register has only the programmed choices available. "We can sell you an ice cream and a soda, and then you can combine the ingredients. But we cannot make a float for you."

It is outside the box - and we must not do anything outside the box. So I ordered an orange soda and a small ice cream and then combined them myself to make an ice cream soda. And we wonder how our world will function under the new generation.

(P.S. This was an actual event. I could not make this up.)
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #2

I think it may get worse.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

That don't surprise me at all.
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
D20

Nothing but robots. Zero customer service.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #5

Doing exactly what they are trained to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
Nothing but robots. Zero customer service.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #6

Yah, and if it cost $5.23 and you gave her a $10 bill and a quarter how long would it take her to figure out that your change should be $5.02?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:05 PM   #7

It was our parents generation that created fast food restaurants and we grew them... I wouldn't be so quick to condemn those that are stuck with working in them because they put so many old time diners/restaurants out of business.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:27 PM   #8

It's is NOT on their Menu...not programed into their computer pricing/accounting/inventory

So it is 'their' fault

It is after all a fast food joint not a soda fountain
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:37 PM   #9

Wow. At least you got to talk to a server and a manager. Wait a year or so after they raise the minimum wage and you won't be able to find a live body.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:37 AM   #10

At $15 an hour I expect them to have an Associate (or better) degree.
Except for the owners family members (Management).
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #11

And along with the last post:

I have a Liberal Arts Degree. Do you want French Fries with your order?
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #12

Good thing you didn't ask for a Brown Cow!
MRichaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Worked for years ( over 30 years ago) as a Mcd manager / area supervisor. Mcd is a fast food restaurant with a limited menu. That limited menu provides , “supposedly “ , consistency and fast service. If everyone could order “anything” the prices would have to be “made up” , the registers which track products sold and inventory , the ones that compute the yields on pickles would give bogus numbers etc etc. and service would be slower
mcd isn’t a mom and pop with low sales , the average restaurant I was involved with many years ago was a million dollar operation with 100 employees.
The fact employees aren’t allowed to “make it up” is important to being able to be confident the product and menu in calif is the same as Virginia.
I get the frustration, find a mom and pop the ice cream will be better anyway
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:17 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, you don't go to McDs and try to order something that's not on the menu. It has nothing to do with whether or not they are willing to help, and everything to do with what corporate says they can do. And since there is no 'float' on the menu they have no way to charge you, and now way to determine how much to charge in the first place. There isn't anybody there that sets prices, or can make up a price like that on the fly. What they COULD have done is say 'OK sir, we'll sell you and orange drink and a small ice cream, and put them in the same container for you' - which is ultimately what you did. But if they'd made that offer to another person they would have just gotten flack about having to pay for two items just to receive one. It's a potential no-win for them no matter what they do, so it's best to just follow policy and tell you no, it's not on the menu.