Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #15

Quarter mile back?! Man, you weren't paying attention to your mirrors!
TexasJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Sitting in the left lane in a MH also exposes your blind spot on the right side where overtaking traffic would be force to go. If the right is so rough, move right to let others pass then move back left? Don't expect courtesy from others if you don't give it.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
An old adage , rules were made to be broken, 😊
Old 11-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
The issue is not about moving to the left lane to smooth out the ride. It's about "parking" in the left lane like you own it and refusing to move to the right when you are impeding faster moving traffic. Cars do that also and it really ticks me off. But that practice is particularly egregious in an RV when nearly 100% of the time you are slower than the traffic around you. Safety on the interstates is significantly supported by everyone doing what is expected, so that we can each anticipate what's required as we travel along. With left lane "parking", right lane passing starts to happen and things break away from what's expected and anticipated. I understand trying to avoid rough pavement, but if you move left, you need to keep an eye on your rear view and give way when faster traffic is approaching. Refusing to give way is nothing but selfish, and potentially dangerous.

I agree and I will only park in the left lane when the road is too rough in the right lane. I will keep a eye out on approaching traffic and move over when I see a group of vehicles bearing down on my RV. Driving on a rough road is more dangerous than taking your chances in the left lane. (keeping vehicle under control, blow outs, broken axle/spring, interior damage).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by artman1913 View Post
I was in Britain and people was PISSED when I drove any speed in the right hand lane.
Artman1913

I get it!
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
HOV is not a 'passing lane'

But in CA you see folks jumping in/out of HOV all the time
I'm not sure that you were responding to my post, but impeding traffic is different than passing, which I guess is sort of obvious. But the point is in Washington you can be both speeding and impeding traffic at the same time. Just going the speed limit won't save you from a ticket if you're holding up traffic in the left lane. Also if someone is in a 60 going 50 in the left lane, and someone else is going 70 in the HOV lane, the State Patrol will more likely ticket the person going 50 (assuming they are impeding traffic).

As to jumping in and out of the HOV lane, I don't think there's anything that says you can't pass in the HOV lane, unless you don't have the right pass or number of passengers.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep dont be one of those parking in the right lane.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #22

From all the discussions so far I guess we better not park on any of the driving lanes.
BC Pest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #23

Here's the problem with the driving in the left lane unless you're passing. If you pass someone in the left lane you should be 205 feet in front of them before you pull back into the right lane as that is the proper following distance at 70 mph. If that is what you do you will have at least a half dozen people pass you on the right if you follow the law. The issue now becomes which law do I break? I can guarantee you if a police officer sees several people pass you on the right that he will more likely than not think you are obstructing traffic and won't give the other folks a ticket for speeding. A stupid law which is unenforceable as a practical matter.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack View Post
Quarter mile back?! Man, you weren't paying attention to your mirrors!
In Germany the speed differential between passer and passed vehicle is not 5-10 MPH like it is here, but can easily be 50MPH. So alerting the overtaken vehicle in the way far in advance is important. Impeding traffic in the passing lane is a serious offense and is treated accordingly.

Similarly, where speed limits exist, they are strictly enforced. (Don’t ask me how I know this). No 5-10 MPH over is acceptable. When I was there it was 5km, about 3MPH was the maximum over you could hope for being OK.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
The issue is not about moving to the left lane to smooth out the ride. It's about "parking" in the left lane like you own it and refusing to move to the right when you are impeding faster moving traffic. Cars do that also and it really ticks me off. But that practice is particularly egregious in an RV when nearly 100% of the time you are slower than the traffic around you. Safety on the interstates is significantly supported by everyone doing what is expected, so that we can each anticipate what's required as we travel along. With left lane "parking", right lane passing starts to happen and things break away from what's expected and anticipated. I understand trying to avoid rough pavement, but if you move left, you need to keep an eye on your rear view and give way when faster traffic is approaching. Refusing to give way is nothing but selfish, and potentially dangerous.
Well said ! Thank You !
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
If the roads are crap in left lane I stay in right lane. If you have an issue with that call the state and complain. HDT have destroyed many highways and the states are doing a crappy job spending our tax dollars. Why in the world should I beat the [Mod Edit] out of my rig for hours at a time? Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Am I reading that right??
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by artman1913 View Post
I was in Britain and people was PISSED when I drove any speed in the right hand lane.
When I came back from being stationed in Scotland for a year, people act crazy when I drove in the left lane. I had trouble figuring out why they were going the wrong direction.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I'm not sure that you were responding to my post, but impeding traffic is different than passing, which I guess is sort of obvious. But the point is in Washington you can be both speeding and impeding traffic at the same time. Just going the speed limit won't save you from a ticket if you're holding up traffic in the left lane. Also if someone is in a 60 going 50 in the left lane, and someone else is going 70 in the HOV lane, the State Patrol will more likely ticket the person going 50 (assuming they are impeding traffic).

As to jumping in and out of the HOV lane, I don't think there's anything that says you can't pass in the HOV lane, unless you don't have the right pass or number of passengers.
HOV is a whole different set of rules then LEFT lane usage

In CA (and other states I have seen HOV) they have 'designated' openings for entering/leaving the HOV
Otherwise......big ole white solid line which means do not cross (virtual block wall)

Some states have 'broken white lines' which allow in/out anytime lane to right is open
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver