Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Long, but the LEOs will like it.

A local police station received this question from a resident through the feedback section of a local Police website:

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"
In response, a Sergeant posted this reply:
First of all, let me tell you this... it's not easy. In the rural area we average one cop for every 505 people. Only about 60 per cent of those cops are on general duty where we do most of our harassing.
The rest are in non-harassing units that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents. At any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60 per cent of general duties are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So, roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 6000 residents.
When you toss in the commercial business and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 15,000 or more people a day.
Now, your average eight-hour shift runs 28,800 seconds long. This gives a cop two-thirds of a second to harass a person, and then only another third of a second to drink an iced coffee AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to the challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilise some tools to help us narrow down those people we can realistically harass.
PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbour is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment. Another popular one is, "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.
CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or drivers with no licences and the like. It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.
LAWS: When we don't have phone or cars, and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "statutes". These include the Crimes Act, Summary Offences Act, Land Transport Act and a whole bunch of others... They spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people. After you read the law, you can just drive around for a while until you find someone violating one of these listed offences and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, the book says that’s not allowed. That meant I had permission to harass this guy.
It is a really cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well. We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because, for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.
Next time you are in the area, give me the old "single finger wave". That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can harass me." It's one of our favorites.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Next time you are in the area, give me the old "single finger wave". That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can harass me." It's one of our favorites.
It's a humorous response but the last sentence is dead wrong. I'm not saying that giving a police officer the finger is smart or polite or right, but numerous courts have said that it's protected speech under the first amendment.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:16 AM   #3

Usually the fool that pokes the bear will also have a reason for a legitimate harassment stop. Such as lights out, outstanding warrant, weaving across the center line, brake checking an unmarked car, and so on. I love tag readers, there is always something for the harrasers to do.
A friends wife that liked to drive suspended once drove to court for yet another suspended driving appointment in a very easily recognized car only to pull in next to the harraser who summoned her. Priceless.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #4

They dont need a reason, they can and will make one up. Has happened to me when they claimed I had a turn signal out than it was a license plate light. Neither were out, it was an excuse to exercise control over civilians.
Had to escalate it with calling watch commander in and than I was free to go.
That guy actually was fondling his gun and I was very concerned he was going to do something stupid.
Know your rights , exercise your rights!
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #5

Let’s face it even the harassers are not perfect they do occasionally make mistakes they are only human like the rest of us. I know of one harasser who let two drive through a stop sign in the early morning hours they may have been late for work. The third one who tried it was out of luck three is the unlucky number even the harasser admitted maybe the first two warranted a ticked but the poor third one paid the price.
BC Pest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
That guy actually was fondling his gun and I was very concerned he was going to do something stupid.
Know your rights , exercise your rights!

Fondling? As in “stroke or caress lovingly”? Wow. Never heard that before, but there’s always something new. That had to be very scary. Obviously he had a problem, wonder why he picked out your vehicle to stop and made up a easy to disprove reason. Did you consider filing a complaint with that department’s internal affairs or with the ACLU?
Old 08-11-2021, 10:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
It's a humorous response but the last sentence is dead wrong. I'm not saying that giving a police officer the finger is smart or polite or right, but numerous courts have said that it's protected speech under the first amendment.

The courts were wrong on that one.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #8

Was working a License check one day when a car turned around to avoid us. Stopped the car and during the stop the female driver asked why we didn't stop her ex-husband who was driving with a suspended license and went on to tell me where he lived and when he got home.

After finishing with her, I had just enough time to head over to the entrance to he subdivision where he lived. Sure enough, not there 5 mins and here he comes and Yes, he is suspended and he admits that he knows he is suspended.

Get his driving history back, which is QUITE lengthy and in Court the Commonweath's Attorney and DMV have him adjudicated a Habitual Offender and take his driver's license for 10 YEARS!

For the next year or more he called me and no good SOB on the way to and from work. I know this because he rode with my wife's Uncle (hahahahaha) whom, he did not know was related to me by marriage. I did not do anything, he should have been nicer to the ex-wife maybe???
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #9

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91TQLtJZ4WL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	340081  
Old 08-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #10

I like LEOs.....Thanks to ALL of them for the service they provide

Tough Job....especially for what they get paid AND the 'harassment' requirement

The LEO Response to the 'harassing' was first rate and humorous

Kudos!!!

Side Note:
Never have been pulled over when I wasn't in the wrong
As a teen-ager happened a lot (60's muscle cars etc)
As a young adult......fast/very fast motorcycles
As an older adult.....got 'lucky' cause no LEOS were around when I didn't completely comply with some driving statues
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:04 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
THANK YOU TO ALL LEOS, we appreciate the job you do and the sacrifices you make daily.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
THANK YOU TO ALL LEOS, we appreciate the job you do and the sacrifices you make daily.
This!
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #13

Let me add my voice to those that honor and thank our law enforcement officers.

They do a thankless job, so I go out of my way to thank them whenever I can. I’ve thanked them at parades, in parking lots, at high school football games, in convenience stores, and truck stops. One state patrol officer was moved to tears when I thanked him and extended my hand to shake his.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #14

A few years ago, my occasional trips to Starsux got a bit more expensive for several months. Our local mermaid shop had a donation jar out to help buy coffees for cops and firefighters. Threw in a fiver every trip.

Why? I’ve never forgotten the visit to my son’s Cub Scout pack meeting by a local police officer. He made it plain to all what “Serve and Protect” really meant. He described his own struggles with the task in a way we could all understand. “One minute I may need to comfort a mom whose child has just been seriously injured or comfort the injured child myself. The next minute I may have to make a split-second decision to use my weapon against someone bent on harming others.”

It’s asking a lot to have such a wide range of abilities in our LEOs.