Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:58 PM   #1

Here is my most embarrassing RV moment to date.
On our way to a campground on M-46 in Michigan we were stopped by a parade that was taking place right on the highway (2-lane highway). Being the thinker I was, I decided to take a side street and thought I could get up ahead of the parade. I was wrong . We did have front row seats parked on the side street as the parade went by . After the parade a friendly local gentleman stepped out and blocked the 2 mile line of traffic that was slowly following the parade to allow me to pull out. I thanked him and pulled out making sure to swing wide so I did not cut the corner with the fiver and take out any parade watchers. Well, the emergency brake cord pulled out and brought me to an abrupt stop partially turned onto the highway at a downhill grade! Well, I knew immediately what it was because I had it happen as I was backing into my drive after the previous trip and I made a mental note to myself to lenghthen the cable before my next trip (whoops). I quickly jumped out of the truck so as to not draw too much attention and re-inserted the emergency brake pin...guess what, I left the truck in Drive!! The whole rig started forward down the hill towards the new Dodge pickup in front of me that was slowly creeping after the parade! I'm not a man of small stature or quick feet, but that day I could have outrun a cheetah! I ran and jumped onto my running board (thankfully they are full-length and heavy-duty) and climbed into the cab to find my then 8 1/2 month pregnant wife trying to get over the center console! I jammed on the brakes and listened as the crowd cheered at the show I had just put on! I waved back and smiled and fell into the slow line following the parade, rubbing the knot out of my neck from the stress of the whole event! My 3 daughters in the back seat thought it was great to be in a parade! Once at the campground, 2 ladies approached the campsite and said they were "glad I got that big truck and trailer stopped". I said, "Oh, you saw me" looking around sheepishly. "Saw you", they responded, "we were in the Dodge pickup in front of you!" We had a good laugh and joked that I am invited back each year for the Kingston Homecoming Parade and to watch the marquee for my name in lights!

See you on the road!
Jeff

2003 Jayco 325 Bunkhouse
bigbrowntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2004, 11:58 PM   #2

Here is my most embarrassing RV moment to date.
On our way to a campground on M-46 in Michigan we were stopped by a parade that was taking place right on the highway (2-lane highway). Being the thinker I was, I decided to take a side street and thought I could get up ahead of the parade. I was wrong . We did have front row seats parked on the side street as the parade went by . After the parade a friendly local gentleman stepped out and blocked the 2 mile line of traffic that was slowly following the parade to allow me to pull out. I thanked him and pulled out making sure to swing wide so I did not cut the corner with the fiver and take out any parade watchers. Well, the emergency brake cord pulled out and brought me to an abrupt stop partially turned onto the highway at a downhill grade! Well, I knew immediately what it was because I had it happen as I was backing into my drive after the previous trip and I made a mental note to myself to lenghthen the cable before my next trip (whoops). I quickly jumped out of the truck so as to not draw too much attention and re-inserted the emergency brake pin...guess what, I left the truck in Drive!! The whole rig started forward down the hill towards the new Dodge pickup in front of me that was slowly creeping after the parade! I'm not a man of small stature or quick feet, but that day I could have outrun a cheetah! I ran and jumped onto my running board (thankfully they are full-length and heavy-duty) and climbed into the cab to find my then 8 1/2 month pregnant wife trying to get over the center console! I jammed on the brakes and listened as the crowd cheered at the show I had just put on! I waved back and smiled and fell into the slow line following the parade, rubbing the knot out of my neck from the stress of the whole event! My 3 daughters in the back seat thought it was great to be in a parade! Once at the campground, 2 ladies approached the campsite and said they were "glad I got that big truck and trailer stopped". I said, "Oh, you saw me" looking around sheepishly. "Saw you", they responded, "we were in the Dodge pickup in front of you!" We had a good laugh and joked that I am invited back each year for the Kingston Homecoming Parade and to watch the marquee for my name in lights!

See you on the road!
Jeff

2003 Jayco 325 Bunkhouse
bigbrowntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:08 AM   #3

Was that your 15 minute of fame Great story!
I got a couple also.
Driving home after a great weekend with my old trailer ,doing around 65mph on the highway I came upon a bluehair doing 45 mph.I checked both side views and proceeded to gun past her in the passing lane.Just as I was gunning it I see a little toyota type car racing in that lane doing at least 80 mph I swerved as fast as I could and made the trailer dance on two wheels then onto the other two wheel,at one point it looked air borne from the rearview.People drove past me with that look on thier faces . Everything was turned upside down in the trailer,what a mess!!

Then there was the time I forgot I was parked near a firehydrant .Put my blinker on and when I stepped on the gas I hear a loud crash and water hissing,oh well

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:09 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Listen to me you LUMPAH, if you calling somebody a bluehair is what I think it is you are in deep doo-doo. You shouldn't pass anybody when you're towing... Karen probably smacked the crap atta you...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 05:09 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Bud:
Listen to me you LUMPAH, if you calling somebody a bluehair is what I think it is you are in deep doo-doo. You shouldn't pass anybody when you're towing... Karen probably smacked the crap atta you... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I shoulda been a little more pc . I forget sometimes ,because all the older people I camp with act like 20 somethings .She pretty much did slap me .I think she forgot my real name ,because she calls me something else now.I am more cautious now.The only thing that saved me was my hitch setup ,which I have finetuned.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:47 AM   #6

Can't compete with you guys, but my claim to embarrassing fame came while driving along the Maine coast in our "always broke Volks" peace 'n love and getting swallowed by a pea-soup fog. Finally about 9:00 p.m. I found a grassy area which I thought was a park, and pulled over for the night. The next morning the fog had lifted some and I found myself on the front lawn of a huge home!

I saw the curtains moving and went to the door to explain why I was there and the owners got a good laugh out of it, proud of what their downeast fog had done.

https://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:53 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Roadrunner,

Similar situation. Back in the mid 1980s, we lived in central Ohio. After work one Friday, we left in our Volvo wagon to visit some relatives who were going to be at their lake house north of Toronto on Lake Buckhorn. At about 2:00 AM, we were winding around some narrow roads when we finally decided that we'd better wait until daylight to try to find the lake house. I pulled off the road onto a graveled pad, we crawled into the back of the wagon and went to sleep. I did, however, notice a strange odor as I was dozing off. When I woke up the next morning, I sat up and found that we were parked in the driveway of a garbage dump!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #8

Instead of backing the TT down the wood board that I used to level our trailer, I was lazy and pulled ahead. Well after the rear trailer tire rolled off the front edge of that board (2X10X48") the back of that plank popped up and slapped the grey water tank tube hard - cracking it and releasing the entire contents of that tank.

Our friends in the neighboring camp site which was slightly lower in elevation than our own site were now running for cover as 30 gallons of grey water came rushing down towards them.

It could have been worse if you know what I mean, it could have been the black tank pipe!

Mike.
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote