Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Old geezers need their exercise!

As seniors, we need to exercise more, so I started with a 5 lb. potato sack in each hand, extended my arms to the side and did 10 lifts. Next, I went to 10 lb. potato sacks, then 20 lb., then 30 lb. After one week of doing this, I put a potato in each of the sacks.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #2

And I'm sure you look very buffed.
That was funny Joe.

BTW..I seem to remember you mentioning about a year ago or so that you two temporarily postponed going FT because Annette was having a back issue of some kind. I think that was it. Anyway, are you guys any closer to going FT? Is that still in your plans?

Just wondering.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
As seniors, we need to exercise more, so I started with a 5 lb. potato sack in each hand, extended my arms to the side and did 10 lifts. Next, I went to 10 lb. potato sacks, then 20 lb., then 30 lb. After one week of doing this, I put a potato in each of the sacks.
Good for a chuckle.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
And I'm sure you look very buffed.
That was funny Joe.

BTW..I seem to remember you mentioning about a year ago or so that you two temporarily postponed going FT because Annette was having a back issue of some kind. I think that was it. Anyway, are you guys any closer to going FT? Is that still in your plans?

Just wondering.
Well, Annette is still having the back problems but in the last year I've had ankle surgery, two minor knee surgeries (which didn't help), and will be having a knee replacement this Wednesday!

Right now the fulltiming looks pretty "iffy", especially at our age, 77 & 79. We're very thankful that we don't have any life-threatening problems and we'll just see what God has in store for us!

Thank you for asking!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
I'm going to start that exercise program ..
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Well, Annette is still having the back problems but in the last year I've had ankle surgery, two minor knee surgeries (which didn't help), and will be having a knee replacement this Wednesday!

Right now the fulltiming looks pretty "iffy", especially at our age, 77 & 79. We're very thankful that we don't have any life-threatening problems and we'll just see what God has in store for us!

Thank you for asking!
Wow...well I kinda know a little about the knee thing but not as bad as you're experiencing. I hope you two get thru all this ok. You've put so much work into your coach and I know you really love that model. Hope you're able to get out in it for at least a 2 or 3 month trip from time to time. And of course the day after tomorrow is kinda of a big day too now isn't it?

Thanks for sharing.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #7

Pickle ball baby!! Great fitness activity and plenty of places to play. Have been playing for 4 years; have lost over 50lbs and at 71 feel better than I have in years! A little weight training also helps with muscle tone.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think Joe's method fits my approach to exercise more. Good one Joe, thanks for the smile.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #9
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Thank you for asking!
Joe,

DW went through two knee replacements (about a week or two apart) about a decade ago. Her new knees are great.

The "trick" to a quick rehab was to do EXACTLY what the physical therapist said to do. No more. But, no less either. I do remember something about keeping her ice pack supply filled. Fortunately my job let me work at home so I could be there almost non-stop for the first week or so.

She was up, around, and back to work within weeks. Used a cane for a little while at work. That was more useful to keep other folks from bumping into her than actually helping her walk. Besides, she could always swat them with it if they did bump her. Nah, never had to do that.

All the best!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Joe,

DW went through two knee replacements (about a week or two apart) about a decade ago. Her new knees are great.

The "trick" to a quick rehab was to do EXACTLY what the physical therapist said to do. No more. But, no less either. I do remember something about keeping her ice pack supply filled. Fortunately my job let me work at home so I could be there almost non-stop for the first week or so.

She was up, around, and back to work within weeks. Used a cane for a little while at work. That was more useful to keep other folks from bumping into her than actually helping her walk. Besides, she could always swat them with it if they did bump her. Nah, never had to do that.

All the best!
Thanks for the encouraging words! I've got a lot of friends that have had knee replacements and almost all of them are very happy they had it done!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:39 PM   #11

Had a knee replacement

No more pain from bone on bone. Hopefully your DR. will explain everything to you. Follow the DRS. instruction to the tee. Do Physical Therapy faithfully every day(home exercise program). Best of luck with your surgery.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:03 AM   #12
YC1

Ten weeks out from Quad bypass and just turned 65 yesterday.

Had back injections yesterday.

Sitting around for two months with a 5 lb lifting limit was murder but I was up and walking a mile in just days. My back was murder the whole time but injections had to wait.

We full time. Our adjustable bed helped so much with the back pain and getting in and out of bed for a month was much easier.

I hope your knee gets better quickly.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote