Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #43
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I had a deal with a girlfriend decades ago while in the US Army living in Germany.

She would help me with my German classes that I was taking at night, and I would help her with her English classes that she was taking.

Her German, while something she spoke from birth, apparently was not as good as my German instructor would have liked, which I found amusing. She would tell me how to pronounce a word, or what it meant, and I would get 'corrected' in class the next day.

All was fine till she asked me what a 'lorry' was. Then my own understanding of my language was thrown under the bus.

Anyway, I would offer up these words for considerations:

Principal, Principle
core, corp
OK, don't keep us in suspense, what the heck is a "lorry" ?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lorry is a truck, in England anyway.o
Old 01-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #45

I 'here' poplar is a popular tree.
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bob View Post
I 'here' poplar is a popular tree.

Ain't that a kick in the aspen
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
American English evolved from all native languages spoken in Europe. That makes it the hardest to learn, however, it is slowly evolving into a language spoken world-wide. Why aren't words spelled like they sound though? Like craft sounds like kraft.
Agree on the spelling thing. Must be tough for those learning english.

However english is not the fastest growing language in the world. That would be spanish. It is also the second most spoken language in the world. Arabic is also gaining ground quickly as well as German. The US will be the second biggest spanish speaking nation by 2015.

I would love to learn Arabic but I'm thinking that will be a big challenge. Whole different character set etc.

I can see the attraction to Spanish, very logical, everything pronounced as written, much less chance of ambiguity by using gender. Just a nice language to speak.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Some fun with my grandson

I like to have a little fun with my 9-year-old Mexican grandson who is learning English. I'll ask him in Spanish:

How do you say 'dos' in English......two

How do you say 'a' in English....to

How do you say 'tambien' in English.....too

Not sure I'm helping his English teacher but.......
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #49

I know I had no need to knead the pizza dough too early at two, because I ate at eight. And, I know it's not new these days, but I knew you were in a daze dear when you were tying the knot, because I told you there was a new deer in the back yard that happened to be a doe.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #50

Excel Owners Club
Yew doen't knead two leaf the contry too found peoples havin problim wit merican langooage.

Just read a few blogs or read comments at the end of an article. The use of email, texting, and other short-hand type communications have turned the speaking of American English into a casual language where anything goes. When I was working in corporate America, I would receive emails from top executives that look like they were written by high school dropouts (no disrespect to high school dropouts intended, Political Correctness statement). Now don't accuse me of being the grammar police or Mrs. Sellers (my high school senior English teacher), I am by no stretch of the imagination, a proper speaker. I still make my share of missteaks , but I try. I need the spell and grammar checker to keep from looking like the guy who wrote the first sentence above.

Kind of sounds like Cajun Chef Justin Wilson. "I gar-on-tee."
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Yew doen't knead two leaf the contry too found peoples havin problim wit merican langooage.

Just read a few blogs or read comments at the end of an article. The use of email, texting, and other short-hand type communications have turned the speaking of American English into a casual language where anything goes. When I was working in corporate America, I would receive emails from top executives that look like they were written by high school dropouts (no disrespect to high school dropouts intended, Political Correctness statement). Now don't accuse me of being the grammar police or Mrs. Sellers (my high school senior English teacher), I am by no stretch of the imagination, a proper speaker. I still make my share of missteaks , but I try. I need the spell and grammar checker to keep from looking like the guy who wrote the first sentence above.

Kind of sounds like Cajun Chef Justin Wilson. "I gar-on-tee."
Remember sentence construction and diagramming worksheets?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:11 AM   #52

In Texas it is pronounced pecan (with a "soft" A) denoting a popular nut.

Here in Wisconsin it is sometimes pronounced pecAn (hard A) which, if said that way in Texas usually means a redneck urinal.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #53

RAY,IN - Boy, do I remember! I'm like you in the sense that I'm not a "grammar police", but sometimes lousy sentence construction and misplaced modifiers get to me, especially on TV news. Sometimes I have to hear their report a couple of times to figure out what they just said.

NITEHAWK - Dictionary.com distinguishes PECAN as well this way: pi-kahn (the Texas version), and pee-kan (everyone else's version, and as you said, the definition of a redneck urinal).
Old 01-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And drive British cars and you soon learn that, Boot, Hood, and Spanner, are not what you think.

and there is lead, lead, and lead (Pb) read, read, red
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #55

Excel Owners Club
Try explaining: rough; tough; enough; dough. IT'S NOT DUFF. DOH!
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #56

Oh, the fun we can have at no one's expense
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote