Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Overheard in the check-out line

This is only mildly funny, but what makes it hilarious is that it is absolutely true.

We were standing at the fast food register today when the girl (employee) at the drive-through window shouted back to the kitchen:
Q. Julio! I need some help up here. Do you speak Spanish?
A. No.
Q. SERIOUSLY?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

We were in a small hardware store on a small island in the Caribbean. The young lady sales clerk was on the phone with a customer.
"It's about a foot and a half long, but I can't measure it because I only have a 12 inch ruler."
Old 11-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

I stopped at a travel plaza on the Ohio Turnpike. I went into Burger King to get my 1 quart thermos filled with coffee. I told the clerk what I wanted and he said "will that be for here or to go"?
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

Lest we forget, these are the future leaders of the world.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Perhaps the title should read "Here's your sign"
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

Overheard in the check-out line

I walked up to the register at the dollar store with one item in my hand. The young woman smiled, and without touching the register said "That will be $1.07". Pleasant and on the ball. This girl is going places. I gave her a dollar, a dime, and two pennies. My change was four pennies. Sometimes you just have to smile and move on.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
I walked up to the register at the dollar store with one item in my hand. The young woman smiled, and without touching the register said "That will be $1.07". Pleasant and on the ball. This girl is going places. I gave her a dollar, a dime, and two pennies. My change was four pennies. Sometimes you just have to smile and move on.
What are Pennies? .
Old 11-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was at a fast food place, bill was $17.10, handed the young lady a $20 and reached in my pocket and got a dime and tried to hand it to her. She said, "I'm sorry I can't do that I already put the $20 in the machine", and proceeded to give me $2.90 back!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #9

I was in line to check out at a grocery store. A woman in front of me just had her items rung up and when the amount was announced she started to rummage through her purse and said "oh shoot I forgot the coupon for that one item". "Can you hold these items while drive home and get it?" The cashier yelled at the retreating woman " it's only for 25 cents off, here I'll give you a quarter" but the lady kept on going out the door!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #10

Does anyone question WHY there is a entry level minimum wage?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #11

On the other hand, I am reminded of the thousands and thousands of transactions that I have successfully had. And, also reminded where the employee graciously overlooked a gaffe by me.
garygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A Mother with a young daughter were in a checkout line behind a rather large female shopper when her cell phone started beeping. The little girl backed up quickly and said, "Look out Mom, she's backing up!"
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
This is only mildly funny, but what makes it hilarious is that it is absolutely true.

We were standing at the fast food register today when the girl (employee) at the drive-through window shouted back to the kitchen:
Q. Julio! I need some help up here. Do you speak Spanish?
A. No.
Q. SERIOUSLY?
Along this line years ago I worked with a Hispanic guy named Eduardo Garcia - he had been raised in a Polish neighborhood way up north and did not speak any Spanish but was fluent in Polish. Seemed to confuse a lot of people that way.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Does anyone question WHY there is a entry level minimum wage?
Yes. Seriously, I worked to the intelligence level I was paid to. Any time I tried to be more intelligent some manager got resentful. Lest you wonder I was compensated adequately most of my work life and returned the favor to my employers. In the end with all the restructuring and downsizing layoffs I ended up with a couple of low pay jobs mostly because I was over 60 and cruising to get to 66 for my SS. Those jobs were eye openers as to what the young folks get treated like today.

I agree that there were what we would call pretty dumb comments in the checkout line. I see three things, the state of education today, supervisory software, and teachable moments.

If there was a manager who had a clue the young lady with the ruler needed some clue passing.

The person who could not take the dime may well have a register that counts the change in and out and want to balance by telling her now many pennies, nickel, dimes etc should be in the drawer. Ditto the here or to go - trained response by the company.

I had the math part down to graduate from High School, really Elementary School. Ask why that is not so today.

Note: This forum discourages political discussions so I am pointing out some reasons why we see what we do. From there you are on your own unless you post some other place to discuss the issues instead of laugh at the folks involved.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote