Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What thing on your RV makes you go huh?

I have an jayco eagle tt. Some design features make me wonder if the designers were either drunk, hungover or stoned! Our bed is at the front of the unit and the genius team of designers put these crazy sconce lights right next to the bed so you have to be careful not to bang your head! Anyone find other odd fixtures or bizarre parts to your rv?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #2

Who at Frieghtliner thought it was a good idea to put the LBCU, the LCD display of important engine info, in a position that you can't see it when driving. What?
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #3

Thor put 2 gate valves on the black water tank dump of my MH. One at the output, where it is clearly labeled and can be seen when you hook up, and one hidden on the other side of the rig between the coach door and the rear tires with no indication it is there. The guy who did the walkthrough with us didn't even know about the second valve.
zdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdomain View Post
Thor put 2 gate valves on the black water tank dump of my MH. One at the output, where it is clearly labeled and can be seen when you hook up, and one hidden on the other side of the rig between the coach door and the rear tires with no indication it is there. The guy who did the walkthrough with us didn't even know about the second valve.

Hmm ... a stealth street storm sewer dump?
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Hmm ... a stealth street storm sewer dump?
They are both on the same line. You have to pull both to dump the black tank. I can just imagine some poor sap at a campground with an overfull black tank and no clue how to empty it.
zdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

Good morning,

My 2001 KZ Sportsman has the spare tire behind the rear slide. Pulling the slide out to change a tire is not a big deal (there is nowhere else to mount it). However, having the lugs that hold the spare to the mount a different size than the lugs on the axles (3/4" vs 7/8") is just silly. Part of the fun in owning an RV!!!
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We had an Aerolite TT where the mfr mounted the towel bar too low & our bath towels hung almost IN the toilet. I guess I was only supposed to put a washcloth on that rod, but it was the only rod in the room.

This is the same mfr that mounted the toilet paper holder on the inside of the vanity door & the door wouldn't close if a full roll of TP was on the holder because the roll hit the P-trap.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Who at Frieghtliner thought it was a good idea to put the LBCU, the LCD display of important engine info, in a position that you can't see it when driving. What?
Freightliner ; supplied the display, Tiffin was in charge of it's position on the dash. Just saying.

FUSES: 4 different locations for Chassis fuses and 8 ( and counting) for coach systems . I now that newer coaches have come a long way to centralizing fuse locations and doing away with in-line fuses , but this is my , What in the world were they thinking, thing.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2002 Tiffin has ample 110V outlets throughout our 31' Allegro except in the rear bedroom. I have to run an extension cord to run my CPAP machine. Oops
Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #10

on my last coach and this one,it has been my Father-in-Law that makes me say HUH? or WHAT? besides that it's the hour meter for my genny that is on the left lower side of the dash that you have to stand on your head to read.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #11

I'm just astounded that our new travel trailer doesn't just disintegrate driving down the road. The use of tiny staples and the lack of glue on major stuff...like to hold up the table when used as a bed...just makes me ill. The kids fell through it....watching a movie laying down. They weight 76 pounds combined. I guess I tend to over-engineer things, but good Lord. Cheap cheap cheap built.

If they'd have made the trailer 12 inches longer, the recliner wouldn't have to be moved to run the living room slide in. Dumb.

Put three TV positions in the trailer. Living room, bunks, and master. The DVD player must be manually jumper'd to the living room set. In order to run it to the other two, you must run cables down the hallway. Another $20 in cable and they could have ran all three to a central location. Dumb.

Hard wire the water pump using crimp terminals. Put a two position connector on it for about $3. If the pump goes out, just unplug and swap. Glad I do electrician work and carry strippers, crimpers and terminals around in my truck. Dumb.

Bunk bed floor plan...doesn't come with a ladder. Dumb

I can go on and on and on and on and on.....
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #12

O n my 5th wheel, the door opens and,if you havr the window next to it open, it hits the glass. I have to be very careful about securing the dood.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have friends with a trailer where the circuit breakers are behind the slide and inaccessible until the slide is extended.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I had a whole word document I put together, with photos, that I shared with American Coach. Some of my favorites, similar to one of Lori's observations, the toilet paper hanger is mounted on the cabinet immediately next to the toilet. Sounds handy, except the cabinet is so close to the toilet that if you have more than 1/3 of a roll on the hanger you can't open or close the toilet lid. There's a window behind the toilet - the metal shade/blind they installed is 3 or 4 inches longer than it needs to be so when locked into those little plastic clips for travel the toilet lid hits it when you put it up.

Another favorite is one of the A/C unit temp sensors is mounted under the kitchen cabinets, right next to what used to be a halogen light fixture (I changed the bulb to a much cooler LED). The cooktop is just a couple of feet to the right of that same sensor.

There are more, some of which I've fixed, some of which AC seemingly fixed on newer models.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote