Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #15

My friend Ann and I wet for a Sunday drive in central Michigan a couple month ago. We enjoy back roads and were in a National forest on the GPS and the road kept getting narrower and narrower. We still had the road on the GPS. Suddenly the road on the GPS disappeared. We had no place to turn around so had to keep going. After about 4 miles on what looked like a hiking path we came to a gravel path that looked promising and took that. Eventually a road showed up in the GPS and we took it. She had sold real estate in the area for 30 years and had never been there before.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #16

In our life before RV,and prior to Google maps on my phone we used a Garmin. Poor thing was so confused when we were going from Virginia to New York via I-95. She would completely blank out going through the massive amount of highway construction just before the Woodrow Wilson bridge. The fun drive, was when I turned it on for giggles for my husband when the Mixing Bowl in Springfield/Franconia was finished. She was completely at a loss. I knew where to go but poor DH was panicked!

The last time we used a Garmin was on a trip out to California. We rented a car and was headed from the SF airport south. We were trying to reach a museum before they closed because we only had one night in the area. We could see the museum from the interstate but the location was kind of tricky to reach. We took the exit and about that time the Garmin went into melt down. She started spinning and never stopped. She sent us in all directions, no where near the museum. Alas, we had no GPS for the remainder of the trip, she was put to rest.

I was so excited to use Google for my first time from the north all the way to the end of a new multi lane, limited access road in our area. Poor thing, she kept demanding I turn off.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #17

My word people, it's a machine, NOT GOD! Too many bad stories of people driving in the desert or the snow with tragic outcomes trying to blindly follow these things. Be especially careful following them in the cities, as they can lead you into some neighborhoods you really don't want to be in, especially driving a half million dollar rig pulling a toad. Research the route, and you can't go wrong. ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP, and I don't mean another GPS. Paper map, Google Earth, even a plain old compass and a USGS topo map.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #18

My own condo

I live in a condo complex of 182 units on 22 acres. My Garmin does not take me to my street. My wife was so concerned that someone could break into our car, take our Garmin and go to Home because they knew we weren't home. I said I had already thought of that and put home as the Holland Police station.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #19

My own condo

I live in a condo complex of 182 units on 22 acres. My Garmin does not take me to my street. My wife was so concerned that someone could break into our car, take our Garmin and go to Home because they knew we weren't home. I said I had already thought of that and put home as the Holland Police station. That is on the other end of town. 1.5 miles away.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #20

Our first Alaska caravan the wagonmaster told the group specifically not to use their GPS on that days drive. The know-it-all of the group used his anyway, it turned him onto a gravel road that soon became a one-lane dirt road, which became a trail in the forest.
When he finally arrived at the CG that night his wife was furious and waving the wagonmasters written instructions. She said they unhooked the towed and while she did the ground-guide chore he made a 34-point turnaround after he had backed up about 1/2 mile to where they had found a small clearing in the forest.
Their MH had heavy scratches on both sides from tree branches. BTW, they were 4 hrs. late to the CG.

Like a doctor said, he can cure almost everything but stupid.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:06 AM   #21

Just two days ago, Google maps was taking me to the wrong location. My Garmin GPS took me to the correct location. All using the same address. And this was in a city, old roads and addresses.

Back in the 80s and 90s, I used paper maps for routing. Without county level maps, the smaller roads may or may not be showed or accurate. I was motorcycling then.

Once one takes roads less traveled, paper maps and GPS units become iffy. At times, one must use county level maps, or even maps explicitly for a certain area.

Some folks need to look at adding topography maps to their paper map library or GPS units for the places they desire the travel.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #22

As someone that wore a name tag with "Navigator" under my name, I do love GPS, but I never trust it. When are lining up an excursion, I get on AAA and order all the paper we might need or just want. This even thought we carry wire underway. Paper still works when the lights go out.

In the cabinet to my right are a collection of charts and maps that can be called on at any time, and behind me on the top shelf is a Navy MK2, a working chronometer and a box compass. On the shelf below are the related books of tables.

Have I always been this way?
Yes, as I sometimes remind friends, I am somewhat paranoid - Old and paranoid. Those are related. It comes with the territory. I once brought a sloop into Annapolis harbor that still had one (1 - just one) working flashlight. The rest of the fancy stuff got put out by a lightning strike. We did get the engine started by hand cranking so we didn't have to sail into the slip.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
As someone that wore a name tag with "Navigator" under my name, I do love GPS, but I never trust it. When are lining up an excursion, I get on AAA and order all the paper we might need or just want. This even thought we carry wire underway. Paper still works when the lights go out.

In the cabinet to my right are a collection of charts and maps that can be called on at any time, and behind me on the top shelf is a Navy MK2, a working chronometer and a box compass. On the shelf below are the related books of tables.

Yes, as I sometimes remind friends, I am somewhat paranoid - Old and paranoid. Those are related. It comes with the territory. I once brought a sloop into Annapolis harbor that still had one (1 - just one) working flashlight. The rest of the fancy stuff got put out by a lightning strike. We did get the engine started by hand cranking so we didn't have to sail into the slip.

Frank
A belt AND suspenders man. My kind of guy.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:16 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post

Frank
As another navigator who eventually moved up to the front seat, I also love GPS but as mentioned above I still use and rely on maps to verify what the GPS is telling me. I always look over an unfamiliar route on my atlas or state map just to orient myself to the direction and highway numbers I need to follow. On many occasions, I've had Samantha (GPS voice) tell me to get off an interstate for some unknown reason. I refuse to follow directions that I feel are incorrect, and in all but one time I have been right. I did once mis-remember which side of the Natchez Trace Parkway a highway I wanted was on, and turned right when Samantha told me to turn left.
I like the info a GPS gives me: ETA, distance to go, miles driven, etc. But I will never totally rely on one without having a good idea which direction and what road to take to get to my destination.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #25

We like a certain amount of redundancy. The GPS gets told where we are planning to be at the end of the day. Old faithful MS Streets & Trips has the planned route plotted out.

We are not interstate people so it is not long before the GPS is busy recalculating where it wants us to go. If it is designated a scenic route, has a number, is likely to be paved, we go that way. Drives the GPS nuts some days.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRG View Post
interesting...I've been using GPS for well over 15 years without any major issues...and I drive for work. Now granted its just in the US...but I love them. Especially Google with live traffic.
Some people forget to add the common sense.
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Rand McNally RV7ND has been pretty good to us. We do maintain a health skepticism of it and if something looks questionable we'll either disregard it or do a quick paper map check.

One function we had to turn off was the curve warning feature. About a third of the time on the Alaska Highway either the curve warning was in the wrong direction or the "severity" of the curve was inaccurate. The rolling map was always correct, but for some reason the audible warnings were often wrong.

We did quite well without that annoyance.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #28

Carolina Campers
Oh, boy, love this thread. Now, to my rant. Have used Garmin and base camp for many years...maybe over $3,000 in all total.
So, the biggest rip off... a KENWOOD head unit, DVD for my LTV Unity to replace the pos factory radio which had GPS, but not even the digital radio information. The KENWOOD was about $1600, had Garmin GPS. Needed update.. additional $80... still three years out of date.

Garmin Basecamp is designed by a sadist as previously mentioned, trying to get the route I desire is darn near impossible, requires lots of time to get it correct, then loads a few extra routes just to add to the confusion.

Currently, I run two active units in my LTV Unity, plus a third Garmin Dezl just for mileage, speed data in clear view. The Dezl can also read OBD II data.
I also have paper maps, CB radio, and 2m/70cm Ham Radio on board.

Have Garmin on CanAm Spyder.. why they charge $900 for it, I am not certain.

Primarily, I use the GPS unit to give me the next turn, then follow the traffic signs especially where construction is present and the turns are.... somewhere other than as shown on GPS.

I travel alone, so paying attention is important and multiple GPS units help keep me alert. Oh, yes, Valentine One radar detector is on dash as well, including the special cover when in Virginia.

Maybe the key to following directions, map, gps, or written out instructions, is to become fully informed of the route prior to departure somewhat like having a flight plan. And, I have a lengthy checklist, do a walk around before leaving, solves at least some problems.

Overall, I must think the GPS is useful, but requires an understanding of the limitations.
Past RV's: Three Airstreams, 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, rust