Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #43

Watched a RVer across the street take a popup barrel out of his trailer and remove his two sewer hose from it.
Thought it was a great way to store them.

After hooking it all up, he reached in the same barrel and pulled out his white drinking water hose, filter attached and hooked that up. No flushing or anything.

May be I have a strange sense of humor.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 1979 Tioga Class C. Fixed everything before a trip to Death Valley in the winter. But the radiator fan went thru the radiator anyway. Took 12 hours to get towed to a closed repair shop for a week. I had to remove it wait 2 days to plug hundreds of holes. $600
Never have figured out what caused it. At home I replaced the entire radiator for >$200.
Drove it to Dallas from El Paso. 100 degree day. A/C quits. No generator for overhead A/C. Engine overheating. Stopped at RV park to rest and shower. Went on further. 1 tire blows out. Can't find the right size. Substituted both rears on one side. By the time we get back to El Paso, both new tires are worn out.
Hitch was broken couldn't pull my motorcycles. Everything breaks....
That was our last RV for years.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:58 AM   #45

Wow! Fiesta48, that's a lot of trouble and expense. So, what made you decide to go at it again? Was it just the call of the road? At least it didn't defeat the RVing purpose, in-that, you are full-timeing now.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Larry's Most Excellent Adventure

The spring of 1995 had been an especially wet one in the Black Hills of South Dakota. My wife and our two 12 year old girls were vacationing in a pickup with a large slide in camper. We arrived in Custer State Park early in the afternoon and found a campsite. We then decided to tour the Buffalo Pasture.

As I said before it had been a very wet spring. Puddles were common on the dirt and gravel backroads. We knew the area around French Creek was especially pretty and often was excellent for viewing wildlife. So off we set to French Creek. We soon came upon a sign that blocked the left half of the road. The sign said, "Road is Closed Ahead". Now the sign is on the left side of the road. I am driving on the right side of the road as is the custom in South Dakota. We debated whether the sign meant that the road is closed here or that the road is closed ahead and you cannot get out the other side. There had obviously been several vehicles both directions on the road. We (my wife will say I) decided that the sign meant that somewhere ahead the road was closed. Merrily, I drove past the sign and on down the road. We soon came to a large puddle in the road. I geared down and proceeded. After we came out the far side I thought, "Boy, a guy could have gotten stuck in that hole". I decided that we would proceed partly because I didn't want to try the mud hole again and partly because we were almost to French Creek. We began climbing into the hills. As we climbed, the road surface changed to decomposed granite. This surface even when wet offered excellent support and traction for the truck. This wasn't going to be so bad after all.

We rounded a bend. A small creek had developed and was running down the middle of the road. The water was 2 or 3 inches deep. Unbeknownst to me, a large spring had developed because of the wet spring. Did I mention that it had been a VERY wet spring? Now this spring was in the middle of the road. It was the source of the small stream. Once more I geared down and entered the small creek. How was I to know that an area about the size of a house had been turned into the equivalent of quick sand by the spring in the middle of the road? We sunk. We sunk to the frame. The tires had about the same traction as they would have in water. They may have worked had they been paddles. Because they were tires, we went nowhere. It was about 5 PM.

After a quick appraisal of the situation, I estimated that I could build a road under the truck in about a week of 12 hour days. Being the intrepid explorer, I assured the girls that we would be alright. We had several cans of chili and running water (running around and under the truck), I set out to build the road (the girls were highly entertained by my construction clothing consisting of a swimming suit and a pair of hunting boots. I did mention that it had been a VERY, VERY wet spring. Fortunately (or unfortunately as your perspective dictates) a ranger in an airplane spotted us and called in rangers on the ground. About 2 hours into my 84 hour project a ranger in a 4 wheel drive pickup arrived. As we talked, his attitude changed from righteous indignation (How could you ignore the road closed sign?) to resigned acceptance (stupid tourists) to good natured helpfulness (you should have seen how stuck Joe was last week, took a Cat to pull him out). He said, "We'll hook on with this chain and I will pull you out." Ha! Ha! Soon he was stuck fast. He called in reinforcements. The ranger #2 arrived in his 4 wheel drive pickup. He managed to pull #1 out of the mud. We (well maybe they) decided that with both pickups pulling, we could get it out. Ha! Ha! Ha! You guessed it, there we were, all of us stuck. After disconnecting all the chains and some digging and so on ranger #2 got out. He then pulled out ranger #1 again. They then decided that their puny little trucks were no match for my 10,000 lbs of RV. They decided to call the REINFORCEMENTS in the form of a wrecker from Custer and they left.

In July dusk falls slowly and late in the Black Hills. As twilight closed around us, we listened to the twittering of the birds as they settled in for the night. In the distance a family of coyotes serenaded us with their howling and yapping. We enjoyed the babbling of the brook, it was nearby, under the truck actually, and cooked some of that chili for supper. About 10:30, the wrecker arrived. As we talked, his attitude changed from incredulity (How did you get that thing in here? I got stuck 3 times on the way in. It HAD been a VERY, VERY, VERY wet year) to efficient worker. He hooked onto my truck, put blocks behind his wheels and promptly pulled the wrecker into the mud. Allowing as how that wasn't going to work, he then tied the front of the wrecker to a BIG rock. He almost tipped the wrecker onto its side because the wrecker wasn't in a straight line from my truck to the BIG rock. Plans again needed to be changed. Spying a VERY BIG tree ahead, he then tied the wrecker to the tree and the winch to my truck. VERY slowly an inch at a time the truck and camper came out of the hole. It is now about 12:30 AM.

The driver casually suggested that maybe I should pay him after we get back to the pavement. There is no doubt that he will have to pull us out again! Being the intrepid explorer with unerring judgement and unequaled driving skills I accepted the challenge. At 1 AM we reached the paved road without further mishap. After taking his due, the wrecker driver exited into the night.

At 1:30 AM we finally arrived at the campground. Ranger #1 stopped by to make sure that we were alright (nice folk those Custer Park Rangers). I was off to the shower (my wife wouldn't let me in the camper with my construction clothes on.) When I returned from my shower, the girls were whining that they hadn't gotten to roast marshmallows over the campfire as they had been promised. The resourceful explorer spied a campfire dying to embers in a nearby campsite. 0k girls, if you are quite we can roast your marshmallows here. Mmmmm good. If Lauren had talked quieter the nice folks whose campfire we borrowed wouldn't have been awakened in the night.

As darkness settled in the camper, the girls contently enjoyed the lingering taste of campfire marshmallows, the wife sighed and contemplated past, present and future life with the intrepid explorer. The explorer wondered, could he really have built a road under a truck with nothing but an ax and a shovel? In just 84 hours? TOO BAD, we'll never know!

May 1999
Old 01-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #47

About 10 years ago we were camping with friends at a small private campground in Tennessee. We had a delicious dinner cooked over the fire and then went to clean up the dishes in our respective campers. Afterwards, my husband asked our friends if they had any garbage to take over to the dumpster across the campground. The husband said yes and handed over a garbage bag.

About 10 minutes later the husband came over to say he had accidentally picked up a paper towel with his wife's dentures in it, and it was in the trash bag that was now in the dumpster. While it was hilarious, at the moment it was quite serious and needed immediate attention. My husband and our friend went to the dumpster, climbed up and inside, and retrieved the trash bag. Thank goodness it was just a short period of time before the dentures were known to be missing. We still laugh about it and recall what a sight it was to see two 60-ish men dumpster diving!
NCPearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #48

yeloduster, well told, sir!

We were in the Black Hills after a yuge thunderstorm. We headed down some dirt (not gravel!) road in our trusty 2WD Volvo wagon. The road was dead level, luckily, cause it turned into a skating match. At one point I stopped to look at a Tourist Trap bird. I got out and stepped into the most viscous mud I've ever seen - almost fell on my keister on the dead level. We had to remove our shoes before getting back in the car. It was actually easier to drive than walk, not that driving was easy!
Old 01-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #49

American Coach Owners Club
First Trip Disaster

We were 200 miles from home after our very first trip in our new 2011 Monaco Knight. All had been successful and wonderful until I started hearing a "knocking" coming from the back and the temp started to rise. I got out and headed toward the engine compartment to discover the fan was coming loose from its mounting - literally breaking away. I shut down the DP and called for a tow truck which arrived in about an hour.

The tow truck driver hooked us up, and we stayed in the coach while he pulled us to the repair shop. Unfortunately, the driver didn't do such a great job hooking us to his truck, and when he stopped at a stop sign the coach kept rolling forward - right into the back-end of the tow truck! All we could do was watch while the fiberglass crunched . Fortunately, he wasn't going too fast and the damage could have been much worse. The driver (and owner of the company) got out and just said "I'll be fixing that." We were devastated as our brand new coach was now not not so brand new.

It took about a month to get it fixed and they did a great job. The fan turned out to be a recall item, so at least the rental car we needed to get back home and that part of the repair was covered. We learned never to run without a toad after that, and to use a flat bed if we ever needed to be towed again (yes, it has happened since).

It's still the greatest way to travel!
dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #50

Friends of ours, honest, it wasn’t us, enjoyed staying at Harvest Hosts locations. One stay was at a winery. The tasting room was down the road from the spot where they would spend the night. Out of convenience, they opted to go to the tasting room prior to parking for the evening. They did a significant amount of tasting.

When it came time to travel, the hosts suggested they join them in their house for dinner after they got the coach set up. It was dark. They followed the hosts to the house. While the husband drove, his wife headed back to use the restroom. Once finished, she began crawling on the floor toward the front while giggling hysterically. She asked “When will we be there?” Her husband replied “We’re parked, you can stand up now.”

Somehow they managed to walk to the house for dinner and conversation. They also managed to walk back to the coach. Upon waking the next morning they found themselves parked on a hill, next to a vineyard with a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains. They drove down the driveway at the end of which there were two, tall, large poles marking the entrance. He did not recall those from the night before, nor could he imagine how he may have possibly negotiated them given the circumstances. They were pleased to see that the coach was still wearing both mirrors.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #51

Our first RV experience was in about 1988 when we rented a 26' class C. We didn't know diddly about RVing and headed for the Blue Ridge Parkway. While camping on the parkway the water heater stopped heating. We asked at a tourist area on the parkway what was the quickest, easiest way to a repair facility that could help us.

He told us to go to the next stop sign and turn right. We did so and wound up on an extremely crooked road. Some of the right corners had rock overhangs that the RV wouldn't go under, so we had to ease out to the left lane around these blind corners to avoid the rock overhangs. Some of the corners were so tight I had to turn until I was running out of road, stop, back up, and try again. The road kept getting steeper and tighter, and I was near panic that if I hit a place I couldn't get through there was no way on earth I could back out again. Finally, though, it straightened out and took us to a city. I found an RV dealer who replaced the thermocouple in the heater.

I told them how we'd come down off the parkway, and they were amazed that we'd even made it and directed us back to the parkway.

We made left their shop on a 4-lane highway and about a mile up the road it intersected with the parkway.

Instead of going the way we had, we could have gone another few miles on the parkway, made a right, and been within a mile of the shop.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #52
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Our first RV experience was in about 1988 when we rented a 26' class C. We didn't know diddly about RVing and headed for the Blue Ridge Parkway. While camping on the parkway the water heater stopped heating. We asked at a tourist area on the parkway what was the quickest, easiest way to a repair facility that could help us.

He told us to go to the next stop sign and turn right. We did so and wound up on an extremely crooked road. Some of the right corners had rock overhangs that the RV wouldn't go under, so we had to ease out to the left lane around these blind corners to avoid the rock overhangs. Some of the corners were so tight I had to turn until I was running out of road, stop, back up, and try again. The road kept getting steeper and tighter, and I was near panic that if I hit a place I couldn't get through there was no way on earth I could back out again. Finally, though, it straightened out and took us to a city. I found an RV dealer who replaced the thermocouple in the heater.

I told them how we'd come down off the parkway, and they were amazed that we'd even made it and directed us back to the parkway.

We made left their shop on a 4-lane highway and about a mile up the road it intersected with the parkway.

Instead of going the way we had, we could have gone another few miles on the parkway, made a right, and been within a mile of the shop.
That advice was worth about what you paid for it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:18 AM   #53

Well, EdInArk, I know those curves and overhanging rocks were worrisome and challenging. One guy, a very long time ago, said he saw a curve so sharp that the mule was eating hay out the back of the wagon.

We once took the wrong long, winding, steep way across a mountain in a Winnebago towing a SUV. We made it. But, we hope to never make that mistake again.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:59 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJango View Post
Well, EdInArk, I know those curves and overhanging rocks were worrisome and challenging. One guy, a very long time ago, said he saw a curve so sharp that the mule was eating hay out the back of the wagon.

We once took the wrong long, winding, steep way across a mountain in a Winnebago towing a SUV. We made it. But, we hope to never make that mistake again.
That's a lesson some never learn. Don't keep making the same mistakes over and over.

We were looking for gas once, and I took an exit with a sign showing gas at that exit. At the bottom of the exit it had a sign for the station with an arrow showing it was a short distance to the left. OK. Here we go.

We got to the station, and it was a little country station with two pumps, and the station was almost completely blocked. There was no way we were turning in and turning back out. We were towing a car, so there was no backing. So I continued on, fully expecting to find a church or something to turn around in. I saw no other choice.

The road kept getting tighter and tighter; my GPS kept saying the road was not recommended for RVs and to turn around. I had finally decided to make the next turn and unhook the car so I could back out to turn around.

But I saw a house with a circle drive and made that work.

Never again. If I don't see the station, I'm not going to it.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:37 AM   #55

Back almost 50 years ago, my bride and I, being two transplanted city slickers now living in a rural part of Kentucky, decided to try camping for our first time. We borrowed a tent and headed out to a rural county camping area. We were the only ones in the small campground, and we enjoyed a quiet romantic evening by the camp fire.

In the early morning hours, while it was still dark, we were woken by hearing doors slamming and several men talking loudly. We could hear the voices getting closer and closer, and then we could hear feet crunching on the gravel right outside the tent! The crunching noise passed the tent and then faded as they walked past us and into the woods. My bride was shaking and hanging onto me for dear life. As it got lighter and lighter outside, I was just thinking about heading outside to get the the camp fire going again when we heard a extremely LOUD BOOM and then several higher pitched Crack, Crack, Crack sounds that seemed to be coming from right outside the tent!

About a half hours later while we were enjoying our first camp coffee together, 3 scruffy looking good old boys came out of the woods dragging a deer behind them. The first one spoke saying "I hope we didn't disturb you fokes. Joe here wanted to bag a deer using his muzzle loader but missed. That thing has one heck of a Bark! We got him with these" holding up his rifle. They tossed the dead animal into the back of the pickup truck and drove away.

It took a long time before I could convince my wife to go camping again!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:53 PM   #56
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
While traveling on I90 through Minnesota my dog comes down with a pancreatic infection on my first day of the trip. Thank God Fairmont had a great animal hospital. I was told to feed her cooked chicken breasts for several days.

Heading west I stopped at a Walmart to stock up on breasts. The Walmart was under major road reconstruction around the perimeter.

At the stop sign while leaving I made a wrong turn. The two lane road in front of me now went to the horizon with a farm house way, way far away. My first thought was to go to were the trucks would deliver to Walmart. That had a caterpillar tractor on it making the new entrance.

At the stop sign was a divider. So as I moved from the stop sign I went right as far as the shoulder would allow. Almost at the end of the divider I cut a hard left figuring a U-turn. Hum… the shoulder on the left did not exist!

Now I am towing a car. I am blocking both lanes. I travel alone.

I found out, using my mirrors, you could inch the rig forward left. Crank hard right. Then watch when the tow bar was getting stressed in reverse. Then inch forward inches again to the left and repeat the process till I could make the U-turn. Some folks waiting were upset but others were smiling.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote