RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

Your Funny RV Short Stories - No comments - Only Stories

When I was about 30, my family and my brothers family traveled to New Orleans LA together from Pensacola FL .... in my brothers Midas 31' Class C motor home. We stopped for the night late after dark near New Orleans at an RV camp none of us had ever been to before. It was pitch black and my brother negotiated the park in the dark and parked for the night. We were all very tired, no one got out, we all found a spot to sleep for the night.

My wife and I got the cab over bed, my brother & his wife got the dinette bed, numerous teenage kids bunked on the floor and elsewhere.

Not long after everybody bedded down and were nodding off. There came a train horn blast at full volume .... then the inside of the RV lit up like the surface of the sun ... I looked out the cab over front window and shouted ... Gary ... my god ... you parked on the train tracks .... there was a sudden mass scramble for an emergency evacuation of the RV ...

In reality he parked about 30 feet parallel to the train tracks ... it seemed like the train was right there but in reality we were perfectly safe ....

.... but we all belly laughed and laughed and laughed at the panic that ensued when I said he was on the tracks. We all talk about it to this day how hilariously funny that was .... and we still laugh about it.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #2

We had a volunteer gig on a huge Oregon ranch - parked near the gate and letting the cowboys, horses and cattle in for a days' work. We pulled in & the owner greeted us and motioned where to park. We backed our 40' motorhome in and the left rear fell through an old septic tank - the side radiator side of our diesel. The owner had forgotten that a previous mobile home was parked at that area. Luckily, on a ranch they have every kind of tool needed. It took the guys 2 days to build a 'road' of railroad ties under our RV in order for us to drive out of the 2' hole we were in. The first attempt failed & they had to rebuild. It wasn't fun sleeping at such an angle! Amazingly, we had no damage and thoroughly enjoyed overseeing the massive ranch and watching the cowboys work!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #3

Back in the 80's I had a 21' class C. We were at the Colorado River near needles CA. There were some dikes on the river and I got the bright idea it would be the perfect place to camp. I launched our ski boat and told my wife with our kids to drive down the river a couple miles and meet me. I proceeded down a dirt road in the desert in search of a path to the dikes. In the middle of nowhere I went through a big trench and high centered. My rear wheels would just spin with no traction. I got out to access the situation with out a clue what to do. A moment later a locomotive with a flat car came down tracks I didn't know where there. The engineer stopped seeing I was in a mess. We attached a cable he had to my rig and he pulled me out.

There is a god who watches over us who make bone head decisions.
vseasport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #4

Back in 2007 on our first cross country trip when FTng we stopped in SD near Deadwood at a Small CG.
Guy showed us the site that was a backin next to a creek
Entrance to site was 90* off CG road and very limited turning space

I asked about a couple of the other sites we passed on the way to the one he wanted us to use. He stated that our site was the one he wanted us to use and that it was OK to pull out into the open grass area if needed.

I wasn't so sure as it had been raining the day before....he said it will be OK.
SO I positioned truck/5rv to backin.....front wheels of truck dropped of CG narrow road and into the grass area. Yep...heavy diesel/front end sunk.

By the time I got unstuck with the help of any other camper and his truck there were 2 deep ruts across the grassy area.

CG Guy showed us another site.....
That night it started raining again...rained for 2 dys/nights and the Creek overflowed flooding the CG sites down near the creek
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #5

Guess it's not really an RV story, but still a camping story. The original post reminded me of a time a few years ago when we took our boy scout troop to go whitewater rafting in NC. We arrived well after dark to a campground we had never been to before, and set up camp (tents) in a big open field. About 3 am, I woke up to a loud rumble and I could literally feel the ground shaking. In my half-asleep mind, I had no idea what was going on, but I knew it had to be bad! About that time, a train whistle blew that was so loud it shook us all out of our sleeping bags! We hadn't seen it in the dark when we came in, but we were camping about 50 feet from a train track. That's quite a surprise when you aren't expecting it!
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergle View Post
Guess it's not really an RV story, but still a camping story. The original post reminded me of a time a few years ago when we took our boy scout troop to go whitewater rafting in NC. We arrived well after dark to a campground we had never been to before, and set up camp (tents) in a big open field. About 3 am, I woke up to a loud rumble and I could literally feel the ground shaking. In my half-asleep mind, I had no idea what was going on, but I knew it had to be bad! About that time, a train whistle blew that was so loud it shook us all out of our sleeping bags! We hadn't seen it in the dark when we came in, but we were camping about 50 feet from a train track. That's quite a surprise when you aren't expecting it!
Are you and OP related?

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 08 Bounder had a front grill that howled starting at 52 mph. On my way North I stopped at a Fleetwood dealer to get it taken care of under warranty. The fix was pool sand in the tubes and silicone the end caps back on. They parked me by the side of the building. Temperature was in the mid nineties so I plugged in to an available 50 amp plug ( with permission ). When I was ready to go they pulled the MH up front. We drive about 180 miles and pulled into a CG. It was still in the mid nineties. I opened the service bay to plug in and the power cord was missing. The employee who brought the Coach around to us was at his second day on the job and thought it was the Dealerships power cord.
Now itís 5:00. They said they could fed ex it to me but that would take at least two days and I had no idea exactly where Iíd be nor did I want to melt in this heat wave. So they kept the Dealership open and I drove the toad 360 miles round trip.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	312716

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #8

We were camping in the infield at the Daytona 500 in February, 2018. Friend of mine back home texted me (with a picture of his friend Phil) and told me to go look for him in his Outlaw Motorhome down the street from us. So I did and over the course of three days and multiple walks over to his spot, never saw him at his RV. Fast forward to May, 2018 and we are camping on Cape Cod for a long weekend with friends. On Sunday, our friends go back home and we stayed for a few more days.

The next morning I see an Outlaw pull into the site across from us. I said to my wife, that would be pretty funny if that was Bruce's friend Phil. So, I take my phone out to look at the picture Bruce had sent me in February and sure enough, it's Phil. So I walked over with my phone in my hand with the picture open and say Hey Phil! Is this you? We have been good friends ever since and have camped together all up and down the east coast since then.
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My sister, husband and three daughters had an old Fireball Class C in the 80's. At the time we had a Lance camper. We were stopped for the first night in a COE campground when I heard a knock on our door at 2:00am. It was my sister dragging her three daughters, yelling there was a poisonous gas in their motor home.

They piled into our Lance and I ran over to their motor home in just a pair of gym shorts . My BIL was standing outside saying there was a terrible gas smell in the coach and their dog woke them up, saving their lives. We both ran in and out of the coach, with face coverings, looking for the source. We finally found it. The water pump, in a cabinet, had overheated and melted a bottle of Thetford liquid tank chemical. It created a gas which could have been deadly.

We got the bottle out, turned on all the lights and opened all the windows. We then began waving pillows in the coach to air it out.

If anyone was watching, after the commotion, all they would have seen was two men having a pillow fight at 2:30am with all the windows open and lights on.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Back about 25 years ago before we stepped up to a DP we would camp in either a tent or our Suburban. We went to the Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain for the weekend. They also had a Scottish type concert in town that we attended and went back to the camping area sitting around our campfire with friends, eating and drinking some beer.

We were parked next to the access road to some of the campsites, the road was on a pretty good incline and by this it was rutted up and muddy.

Not too long after we got back from the concert a van was trying to make it up the hill with no luck, it would climb up part of the way and then start spinning and slide back down. A pretty good crowd started to line either side of the road cheering the driver on but no one stepped up to try and help.

After a while I finally decided to do something so I walked up to the drivers side and there was an older man driving, he was one of the band members from the concert we had just attended. He was definitely flustered. I told him that I would try and push him up the hill if he made sure not to back up over me. I was dressed in shorts, T shirt, flip flops, and carrying a beer. I got behind the van, still carrying my beer, and started pushing with one hand as the van slowly was able to climb up the hill spinning all the way. The crowd on either side of the road started to cheer and clapped as the van got to the first available campsite. I guess it was a pretty good site.

As I was walking away 3 large young men dressed in kilts walked up to me and asked if I was interested in joining their tug of war team. I as asked if I would have to wear a kilt, they said Yes, I politely declined.

Something I ( and assume others) will always remember.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rockinante

My motorhome earned her name during this eye opening trek. I am a newbie, solo, full-time gal. I'd been on the road for about a week, learning to drive and maneuver this 40 foot beast with a toad. After crossing the little bridge on the Colorado River at Glen Canyon, I pulled over in a large turnout to take in the view. As I started to ease back onto the road, I noticed a small "canyon" where the dirt turnout meets the pavement. Well, it can't be that deep, can it? So slowly, very slowly, I proceeded to cross said "canyon." Apparently, speed was not the issue. The angle I was approaching was the issue. The motorhome rocked to the left, then to the right.... that was the front..... then she rocked HEAVY to the left and even HARDER to the right. I heard horrific crashing sounds as the upper cabinet doors flew open and expelled the contents onto the tile floor. I couldn't stop! I was in the middle of the road with cars coming. I was mortified when I finally got to my destination and perused the mangled mess. I literally had to wade through several inches of glass, pans, batteries, books, the sink cover; even the glass microwave plate flew out of the microwave and shattered on the floor.
Just so happens, I was reading John Steinbeck's book, Travels with Charley (not while driving) and John had named his rv Rocinante. I changed the pronunciation a bit and named her Rockinante.
Lesson learned: Don't ever do that again. Oh, and Corelle dishes may be chip resistant, but they can't survive propelling to the floor at that velocity.
Cindy in CDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #12

Many years ago early 70's dad had a cabover on his truck. Opening weekend of deer season we head out (dad-his brother and me about 8yo). About at out hunting location dad ask his brother if he remembered the coffee pot. Nope forgot few min later passing by a place where people had dumped out some trash and things his brother told him to stop and he could probably find a empty coffee can or something to make coffee in. Dad laugh and said no probably something in the camper they could use. Get there and dad looks in the cabinets and found a empty coffee can. So they made coffee all weekend in that can. We get back home and dad's telling mom about forgetting the coffee pot and had to make coffee in the can found in the camper. Mom has this strange look on her face and tell them that was her pee can!! My uncle about lost it right there and told my dad see I told you we should have got something out of the da** dump! Glad I did drink coffee at that early age. LOL
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #13

adventures of two ladies

DH towed us down to our campground on a weekend. He left to go home for work. I paid attention to the weather and decided the day before departure to do a thorough cleaning job of the inside of the RV. Next I went across the road to do laundry with DD age 10. DD says is the RV open as I need the BR. Yes it is open. A good day with only a slight back ache from the days cleaning ect. Got back to the RV and DD says"mom you don't want to look in the BR". Looked in the BR and was horified to see defecation all over the toilet. "I thought the toilet seat was up but it was down". Round two of cleaning even used an old toothbrush to clean the toilet hinges. Turned my gloves outside in and shot the mess out the door for the ratcoons. Picked up the next day. I honestly thought the toilet had somehow had reverse exploded!! Put the BR rugs in a trash bag for laundering at home. Never happened again.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #14

This wasn't funny at the time ... but when I first got my second RV ... went to camping world and stayed over night .... was full time and had to leave it first thing the next morning to have work done.

I parked at the dump station and hooked up to water & sewer. BUT I HOOKED THE FRESH WATER TO THE BLACK TANK RINSE INLET ... they weren't well marked. We left to go to a restaurant and before we left I decided to shutoff the water while we were gone just in case.

When we returned the first thing I did was go to the bathroom. When I opened the toilet lid ... THERE WAS BLACK LIQUID ALL THE WAY TO THE VERY TOP EDGE OF THE TOILET.

The fresh water had filled the black tank and was backing it up into the toilet. If I hadn't shut the water off before we left sewage would have flooded the RV when we returned. If the toilet seal had of leaked we would have had a mess.

Maybe it is funny in retrospec .... I have never made that mistake again.....
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote