Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:45 AM   #29

Sandy,
Thank you for your post. Yes, we are trying to get the input of the people that will actually be using the rv park. It's easy for someone to sit at a desk and plan something out that "they" like, but it's more important to get the input of someone that will actually be using the park itself.

We do have a few big trees that will be on the west side of the main park that will provide a lot of shade during our hot summer months and there is a line of trees on the east side of the property as well, and we will be adding some trees here and there after we get everything laid out. I myself enjoy flowering trees for some shade and beauty. My concern would be allergies for some travelers. Would trees like Crepe Myrtles or Oleanders be a problem?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT!

Susie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You did not say was what part of Texas you plan to locate. That will have some bearing on what you should/need to plant. Crepes are considered the lilac of the south and grow pretty well most places. You need to trim them properly to make them more tree shaped and less bush like. Too many of the folks do not understand how to properly trim creps and they wind up with what my wife terms a "Rio Grande Bob".

Orleanders do pretty well for screenig but are not fully cold tolerant. Every once in a while Houston will get a freeze that will kill a lot of orleanders.

My wife is a landscape designer and is a registered Texas Master Certified Nursery Professional (not the same as a Master Certified Gardner...much more intensive program). Got any questions on what to do, send me a PM (personal message) and she can get beck to you. She is a big believer in native plants and minimal maintenance unless you want formal gardens.

We lived near Houston until 10-2003.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 02-11-2005, 11:49 PM   #31

teepeesue,
You are doing what I have dreamed of for a long time. The Teepee Motel, I think, is an ideal spot. Good luck. Gitterdun, and we will come see ya.

Old 02-12-2005, 12:19 PM   #32

Teepeesue,
You might want to be careful with the flowering bushes and trees. Flowers attract bees, wasps, etc and those are no fun when you have kids playing in the campsite. I personally am allergic to bee stings so that slow me down some. I dont mind flowers and things like that around buildings and planter beds, but flowering stuff around the campsites would be different.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
Old 02-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
While listing bad points on plants, might as well condenm the oleanders as well. The leave are highly toxic and if a child gets them in his mouth it could be problems. The point is the world is not 100% safe for anyone.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer