Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:36 AM   #15

The idea of having a reduced rate or free area at a campground is appealing, but I don't think it will work.

Let's say there is a campground with a low cost area, $5 for the night, no hookups, no use of the main facilities.

People will take advantage of the situation. They will figure out a way to use the pool, bath house, rest rooms, etc. just because they are available on the premises.

So now the owner fences off this no frills area so you can't just wander into the main area and hires a security person to take care of late arrivals. The rate now has to raise to pay for the fence that a few inconsiderate people have forced him to install. And now we're back to people complaining about the cost, so they stay at the free spots again and the loser is the campground owner again because of the outlay costs trying to accomodate a niche market.

Rich & Kim, Oreo too
<font color=blue>F250 Supercab</font>, <font color=#33ccff>Prowler 5ver,</font> <font color=black>TrailAir pinbox</font>
<color=yellow>Solar</font>, <font color=#669966>Makita Genset</font>
<font color=blue>WHR Blue Mesa Ranch,</font><font color=red> Colorado Springs CO</font>

<A HREF="http://rk-enterprises.home.att.net">RV Hints and Tips
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Or perhaps if you have a low cost area for overnighters, they will bring that info to this and other forums and the campgrounds business will increase due to some good publicity. Not only in the overnight area but in general. For example, I would continue to pay for the amenities but I might stop at someplace in my travels that was mentioned here.
There are always a few rotten apples but IMHO it doesn't pay to make the rules geared towards the rotten apples. The good apples usually complensate for the bad.

Lynnvt
2002 Cardinal 33LX by Forest River
2004 Chevy Silverado 3500
Duramax/Allison
extended cab dually

Old 03-04-2004, 11:12 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dont even know if I should comment on this issue, due to past problems. Maybe the administration of this site can see when abuse of powers, prevents the honest exchange of views.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U W22 Workhorse Chassis with 22.5" wheels
Sugar and Spice our Shih Tzus

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Old 03-05-2004, 01:07 PM   #18

If you charge $5+ for a no hookup, no service parking spot then you are ahead of the game even if someone uses the bathroom or pool. An owner might also consider that this overnighter might spend $$ in the laundry or buy a soda in the camp store if it's still open. Maybe a newspaper in the morning. Your campground have a breakfast grill? Maybe they'll pick up a quick bite for the road before leaving. Revenue to the business owner.

You got a customer into your business that you might not otherwise have had, take advantage of that. Figure out what the customer wants and find a way to provide it. They may come back and pay to stay longer.

Liane, Don, Tom(14)
and Peanut the pug
'00 Itasca Sunflyer
http://home.att.net/~holders3
Old 03-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree if a customer waqnts to spend and support the CG owner in his endeavors. However ther are many RVers that feel that they deserve a free trip, even to the point of giving tips and ways to avoid paying their way while Rving. I for one may have to use Walmart or some other free layover, but I will not advocate or encourage that way of life as others have done on this site. An emergency situation may force me to stay over at those locations, but that is not the way I will travel. If I expect a fair shake from a CG owner I will certainly try and give himm my business.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 03-05-2004, 02:34 PM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Captain Bud, I agree with your comments. i have only stayed at a Wall Mart once when delays in my travel caused me to run later than expected. i also agree that it would be good for CG owners to provide "low cost, no frills" spaces I think it would be a win win for all, even though I know that it would be abused. My fear is that as demand for ground grows more and more CGs will become housing developments and shopping centers,resulting in fewer choices for us and certainly higher prices. There's not an easy or black and white answer to the issue, and certainly room for other opinions.

Pat & Nancy Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
Exit 26 PA Turnpike
2001 Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W20 w/ 19.5 wheels
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Brake Buddy
Old 03-06-2004, 07:41 AM   #21

The problem with the no frill deal is once it's found out EVERYONE including the regulars we have would want that deal. Pretty soon we would be out of business. The only way it will work is having a seperate piece of property and as i posted before it is cost prohibitive to do at $5 and even $10 a night.
Previous post on this......

2003.25 F250 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 6spd 6.0PSD 3.73 Dark Shadow Grey
My Truck Our Campground Southeast Diesel rally North Florida Dealer for Western Diesel Performance, Ultra Hitch goosneck adapters American fuel/tool tanks and Jordan Brake Controllers. Dieseltorque Website
Old 03-06-2004, 08:34 AM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mjstef:
The problem with the no frill deal is once it's found out EVERYONE including the regulars we have would want that deal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt,

The regulars would be happy to pay your regular rate and move out of the theoretical 'bare bones' area after about two days with no water, no electricity, no sewer, no trash pickup, no cable TV, etc.

If a campground owner were to consider trying such a venture, I think the key to its success would be that no amenities would be available and there'd be a limit on the length of stay. Perhaps two days would be appropriate.

It'd have to be managed like a paid parking lot, not a campground.

Richard

<font color=red>Click here for information on iRV2's Fourth Annual National Rally being held in Boerne, Texas June 21-25, 2004</font color>

2002 HitchHiker Discovery towed with a 2002 Ford Powerstroke Diesel F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6 speed Dually.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to agree with Matt, there is no way you can buy a piece of property, upgrade it(even to parking lot standards),provide some security, police the area and expect to make money at $5-10 per nite. Especially when one of the requirements would be is near the interstates.I refer you back to my statement on another thread,why not have Walmart charge? and see how that works.
1. It is a parking lot.
2. It is policed.
3. Some people like it better than
a CG.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 03-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #24
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Bud:
...why not have Walmart charge? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How would you propose to convince Walmart it'd be in their best interest to charge?

In comparison to the revenues generated within their store, I doubt they need the comparatively small amounts it might generate. Additionally Walmart would likely be cautious of loosing the customer goodwill that seems to be generated by allowing this practice. Also, how would Walmart distinguish from someone in an RV who merely stopped at Walmart to shop?

According to the article in RV Business that I quoted from earlier, Walmart has already taken a stance on this with campground owners and municipal governments in many areas. I think they may be allowing this free parking policy for the long haul.

There should be some way campground owners could cash in on the desire of many fellow RV'rs for a basic place to park for a few hours of rest.

Richard

<font color=red>Click here for information on iRV2's Fourth Annual National Rally being held in Boerne, Texas June 21-25, 2004</font color>

2002 HitchHiker Discovery towed with a 2002 Ford Powerstroke Diesel F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6 speed Dually.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:06 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I personally think what will happen in the future is this. The Rving community is growing every year. Mor CGs are being bought up and used for shopping malls, condos etc. This is causing somewhat of a scarcity of CGs. I have noticed that the nice new CGs and those that are putting money back into their facilities are doing well. I predict that more and more people will be using the Walmart layovers until something happens and a lawsuit occurs. Walmart and others who allow this parking are going to take a long hard look at their policies. We all enjoy this hobby and lifestyle, but lets face it, it will become costly, fuel costs, CG costs, etc. I'm at the twilight portion of my RVing days, and will probably hang it all up in a few years, I caution all you youngsters out there use your heads, appreciate the point of view of the CG owner, and patronize there establishments, look at the rising costs in state and federal CGs. Remember "there's no Free Lunch".

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 03-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #26

Scarcity of campgrounds? I haven't found that at all, are there any industry numbers on CGs closing in large numbers that support your claims? All sorts of businesses close or move so land can be developed. If you avoid July, August and holiday weekends (or get there first) there are plenty of places to camp, the availability of hotels/motels aren't any better. As far as Wal Marts etc., should we have to pay just to sleep somewhere that we don't rent or own? Should we be forced to consume when we don't need to consume just so others can profit? Using unused parking spaces at Wal Mart (that only get used around Xmas for a month) seems like a good trade off for both the traveler and the store! I don't own my RV so campgrounds can profit. I probably spend a third of my time in commercial CGs, a third in public CGs, and the other third in relatives driveways, rest areas, race tracks etc. I've never stayed at a Wal Mart but someday I may, why not use unused areas if it is convenient and there is no impact? If I need to consume (dump, fill with water, recharge the batteries, rent a spot I can call my own) then I pay. Sure there are going to be folks that abuse certain situations , there are people that abuse almost anything you can think of.

2000 Casita SD
Old 03-21-2004, 07:47 AM   #27

I'm not a campground owner, but just had a brainstorm, which either might be a good idea, or a seizure!

What I see on this thread are a group who really would like to serve the needs of the quick overnighters. Some of the other problems with the concept are the late arrivals waking up all the other campers, and the extra time involved in collecting etc.

If those aren't really issues, then how about this? A ten dollar overnight fee for those who come in after five, and leave by , say, 7:30. However, they have to leave a deposit up front, that is the same as the full rate. At 7:00 refunds begin, and are cut off at 7:30. If they oversleep, or decide to stay, they are prepaid, and have no gripe. If they leave and your normal fees are say $30.00 a night, they get $20.00 refund, only if their rig is on the out road. They can use the showers, full hookups, or whatever they want, and the only policing would be the refund in the AM. Repeats are no problem as long as they are off the property, rigs and all, until after five, or whatever time for your local area you know there will not be any more regular customers pulling in.

Just a thought.

The camper gets a break, you fill up any vacant spaces, and the other campers will not want the same rate to leave that early, which leaves you plenty of time to spruce up anything left behind for the next camper.

[This message was edited by RV Roadie on March 21, 2004 at 04:57 PM.]
Old 03-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #28

Well! Guess that was a seizure instead of a good idea.

Oh well, thought I had an "outside the box" possible good suggestion.