Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #1

1st timers

My husband Curt and I bought our 1st ever RV in Sept 2020, a used 2005 Class C four Winds Chateau. before this we had never had any kind of RV or camper...so we are totally green newbies! We took 2 months doing some fixin's to the rig and had a lovely shake down trip the beginning of November.
December we decided to take the RV and travel "home" to see our parents in Southern Alabama. Excited to have a place to call our own while visiting our family. We had the tires checked at a local shop, bought a new spare and were assured our tires where all in "good shape".
100 miles down the road we blow out the rear driver side inner tire [emoji2356]. After a lengthy hassel with our Geico roadside and a horrible tow truck driver who was absolutely worthless and a very helpful state employee roadside assistance person we make it to visit our family. We discover the blow out broke the trim on the tire area and damaged our grey water holding tank.
We get home and park the rig for December-Feb. This month we took her in for a complete tune up oil changes and inspection. They are replacing our grey water storage tank and we are getting all new wheels. I am feeling overwhelmed with learning the ropes and all that goes in to having an RV ($$$) but know we are going to love it. That first shake down trip was bliss!
We have a trip planned for a couple weeks out to celebrate our anniversary [emoji3590]. We plan to stick to State parkes within a couple hundred miles of home base and trips back to southern Alabama to see family for the first year as we learn our limits.

Victoria
Avic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. A bit of a rocky start and the learning curve is very long but thankfully only steep in the beginning.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #3

Welcome to the RV world! You will get the hang of it and you will soon (if not already) realize there is always something that needs attention.

Good luck and keep us posted. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
mwachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My guess is the tire shop just checked the tread depth and did not look at the date code.

Something to keep in mind with rv’s the tires will age out long before the tread will be gone.

7-10 years is the max I will run a set of tires. Make sure they look at the tire dates when you take it for a tune up.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
My guess is the tire shop just checked the tread depth and did not look at the date code.

Something to keep in mind with rv’s the tires will age out long before the tread will be gone.

7-10 years is the max I will run a set of tires. Make sure they look at the tire dates when you take it for a tune up.

True statement right there! Tires are cheap insurance when you look at the big picture.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avic77 View Post
December we decided to take the RV and travel "home" to see our parents in Southern Alabama. Excited to have a place to call our own while visiting our family. We had the tires checked at a local shop, bought a new spare and were assured our tires where all in "good shape".
100 miles down the road we blow out the rear driver side inner tire [emoji2356]. After a lengthy hassel with our Geico roadside and a horrible tow truck driver who was absolutely worthless and a very helpful state employee roadside assistance person we make it to visit our family. We discover the blow out broke the trim on the tire area and damaged our grey water holding tank.
Victoria
Congrats on joining the RV world. You have learned important lesson, a tire blowout can cause severe damage to other parts. As mentioned check the date codes on the tires. One item I use is a Tire Pressure Mentor system (TPM) there are several brands, but I use Tireminder. It monitors tire pressure & temperatures, for leaks or high temps these things work really great. There are some other brands, I have seen one that goes inside the tire instead of on the valve stems, so you can research and see if this is something you may be able to use.
Yes, we are scheduled to be in Gulf State Park for Christmas 2021,, we both really enjoy the area when we can get there.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:30 PM   #7

Wait, nobody told you to keep it under 90?
Hope future trips go much smoother! :-)
Old 03-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #8

You bring back memories of our first trip out of state with our first motor home. I was the driver (DH had a nasty fall and cut so I ended up being the designated driver for the trip home) when we had a similar blow out on the passenger side. We also had a useless tire store employee we sat on the side of I-16 for several hours getting it changed. The guy was a brand new employee and could not get the generator on his truck to work the jack, he finally called in his boss to come out. The blowout damaged one of out storage compartments that was a pain to have repaired.

As others mentioned, a tire monitoring system is important.

Have fun and enjoy your future trips.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post

90? Those are rookie numbers! You gotta pump those up...100+ or you ain't crap.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #10

100 Miles from home not 100MPH [emoji1787]

But we do have a lot to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
Old 03-12-2021, 11:31 AM   #11

Yes I wanted to change them but the tire shop assured my husband they were "in great shape". They are from 2015 so maybe they could have been good for a little bit but since we didn't know how long they had just sat in the sun I thought it was best to replace them.
Obviously that's happening now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post

Old 03-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #12

Welcome to RV'ing. All good advise above. In addition to a TPMS, I'd strongly suggest you have them install one piece extended valve stems, and not the flexible extensions as those tend to leak. Here's an example --https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...rd-dodge-class
Old 03-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #13

Welcome to the world and enjoyment of RV traveling. There is nothing nicer than sleeping and using your own facility's . Just remember pre trip checks and keep up on maintenance and enjoy the ride. A good nights sleep is important, always have the best mattress you can afford. A good nights sleep makes for better driving the next day.