RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2021 Bigger Huge Trip?

Being I had to cancel my huge trip for this year I am looking to make it an even bigger huge trip in 2021. Most of it will be to the same stops as before at Grand Canyon, Utah NP's, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, Devil's Tower and Custer/Black Hills area. The big difference would be instead of making a beeline across South Dakota and then heading South to Alabama I would head to Mountain Views RV Resort at Creede, Colorado for a month. From there I would head to NW Arkansas to visit kinfolk and then head home to Alabama.

We have been searching for a location to escape the heat of Alabama in the Summer and this may be it.

I will need to find stops from Custer to Creede and then from Creede to NW Arkansas. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #2

To Creede it will be approx. 600 miles. Custer to Cheyenne, WY is 250 mi. and to Ft. Collins, CO is 290 miles so that's the area you might want to stop unless you want to get into the Denver mess late in the day.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
To Creede it will be approx. 600 miles. Custer to Cheyenne, WY is 250 mi. and to Ft. Collins, CO is 290 miles so that's the area you might want to stop unless you want to get into the Denver mess late in the day.
I will definitely be stopping twice and not driving direct. I am looking at Wheatland, WY (Mountain View) and Golden, CO. (Dakota Ridge) RVTW has me taking Hwy 285 from Denver.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
After talking to a neighbor RV'r he suggested I check into the Estes Park, CO area. He said it would be cooler plus there is more to do there.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:24 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
You will need reservations as lots of others will have the same idea after being cooped up this year.

Ft. Collins was one of our favorite stops. KOA is best CG there but we could only get in for 2 nights as they were booked up. Estes Park is superb as well. Colorado Springs is a great area with lots to see and do.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You will need reservations as lots of others will have the same idea after being cooped up this year.

Ft. Collins was one of our favorite stops. KOA is best CG there but we could only get in for 2 nights as they were booked up. Estes Park is superb as well. Colorado Springs is a great area with lots to see and do.
This is for next year in July.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
In addition to adding stops in the Estes Park, CO and Creede, CO areas I am looking for a spot in Idaho between West Yellowstone and West Glacier.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #8

I don't think Estes Park is cooler than Creede. It is at 7,522' EL and Creede is at 8,799' EL

Estes is wild with people in July. It would not be my go to place. We volunteered in Rocky Mtn. NP and we dreaded going into town for groceries.

Fort Collins is hot - 5,000' EL. Colorado Springs can be, also - 6,035' EL.

For cool temperature you really need to look at elevations and they can change within 25 mi. or so. Our ideal temps are at 8,000' +

You don't really have to go into Idaho from West Yellowstone to Glacier but I would recommend Idaho. It is one of our favorite states. We love Hwy 75 from Sun Valley to Stanley and up to Missoula, MT. The Sawtooth Mtns. are gorgeous and from Stanley to Missoula is traveling along the river - very scenic and many BLM/national forest spots right on the river. Boise is nice in spring or fall but it is hot in summer. McCall is nice as is Sandpoint.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I don't think Estes Park is cooler than Creede. It is at 7,522' EL and Creede is at 8,799' EL

Estes is wild with people in July. It would not be my go to place. We volunteered in Rocky Mtn. NP and we dreaded going into town for groceries.

Fort Collins is hot - 5,000' EL. Colorado Springs can be, also - 6,035' EL.

For cool temperature you really need to look at elevations and they can change within 25 mi. or so. Our ideal temps are at 8,000' +

You don't really have to go into Idaho from West Yellowstone to Glacier but I would recommend Idaho. It is one of our favorite states. We love Hwy 75 from Sun Valley to Stanley and up to Missoula, MT. The Sawtooth Mtns. are gorgeous and from Stanley to Missoula is traveling along the river - very scenic and many BLM/national forest spots right on the river. Boise is nice in spring or fall but it is hot in summer. McCall is nice as is Sandpoint.
Thanks for the info on the elevations. My original plan from West Yellowstone to Glacier was a straight shot. I thought that if I went West into Idaho I may see more and extend the trip even longer.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #10

Huge trip

Add some more time in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons rather than a month in Creede. Two days in Glacier unless you are big into hiking.
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Doc View Post
Add some more time in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons rather than a month in Creede. Two days in Glacier unless you are big into hiking.
I have already decided against staying at Creede for a month, but I would like to stay a week. I have 7 nights for Yellowstone, 5 for Grand Tetons and 4 nights for Glacier. We will be doing some hiking, but driving around more at Glacier.

I am looking for a spot in Idaho between Yellowstone and Glacier to spend some time at. I also would like to spend some time at Estes Park even though it may be crazy crowded in July.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
After getting emails from TwoGypsies and Busskipper I will be cutting across Colorado on the West side of the Rockies. The previous Huge trip of 97 nights is now 130 nights.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
After getting emails from TwoGypsies and Busskipper I will be cutting across Colorado on the West side of the Rockies. The previous Huge trip of 97 nights is now 130 nights.
Are you up for adding more?
Old 05-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Are you up for adding more?
I may not survive this one. I do have another question. Where do you get fuel in Colorado along the route I will be taking?