Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2022, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Typically leave at 6-7 am when on the road. You would think that would make up for an early check in. would also give them more time to clean up the site witch they never have to do when I leave.
That’s very nice of you to mow the grass, trim the bushes and straighten up anything you might have moved around such as the picnic table.
Your site may very well be empty at 7 am but what if the guest that arrives at 8 am is scheduled for a site that the people decided to not leave 4 hours early but want to extend for 4 hours instead. You can’t just flip them around because they may be staying for three nights and the site you are in has someone only staying one night . Then the next group in that site has three sites side by side reserved.
Occupancy in a campground is a giant puzzle. The pieces just don’t fit anywhere, they have to go where they belong. Otherwise your Rembrandt starts to look like A half finished Picasso.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2022, 10:08 AM   #16

As for electricity, it is a tiny fraction of the expenses in a park. Electric bills run at most, $5.00 a day per site. 4 hours is one sixth of a day so maybe as much as a dollar maximum in that 4 hour window and that assumes everyone would arrive at exactly check out time and proceed to immediately use as much electricity as possible. Fact is, it isn’t a concern at all.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:43 AM   #17

Omg! Somebody call a waaahmbulance. I find always find it amazing how much whining takes place on these forums about park rules. They're a business, and you either accept their rules or don't darken their door. Would you show up at the store 7am if it opened at 10, and rattle the doors expecting someone to come open them for you? I know a guy who likes to go grocery shopping at 5:30am before the store gets busy. Never heard him complain about any other supermarket that opens at 7am.

We respect check in, and check out times - and other park rules - because that's what we agree to when we made the reservation. If it means stopping along the way to kill time, so be it. We've done it many times and it's just a part of our travels. I bet it doesn't matter what a rule is, someone will think it's stooooopid or not fair because it doesn't work for them. Reminds me of what it was like to be the parent of a teenager - a "That's NOT FAIR!" followed by the sound of a door slamming closed.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:49 AM   #18

We find that most places will accomodate an early check in if you call ahead and ask them. A few will not allow it at all, and some charge a fee for both early check in and late check out. We do keep note of things like that in our log for future reference.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have sat and waited for people to leave that were late leaving or we were early. I never was told I could not go to the cs if it was vacated.

I was at a coe cg that had checkout and checking at the same time. Not sure when the site get straightened up??
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:59 AM   #20

I honestly don't think private parks are worried about having time to prepare a vacant site for the next camper. I have rarely if ever witnessed campground personnel cleaning or inspecting a vacant site.

IMHO if a busy campground has 200 sites and they can keep 50 or 60 RVs off of some sites from noon until 3pm they will save a ton on electricity during a busy month. When we come off the road all three of our a/c units run non-stop for a couple hours if it is a hot afternoon.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Omg! Somebody call a waaahmbulance. I find always find it amazing how much whining takes place on these forums about park rules. They're a business, and you either accept their rules or don't darken their door. Would you show up at the store 7am if it opened at 10, and rattle the doors expecting someone to come open them for you? I know a guy who likes to go grocery shopping at 5:30am before the store gets busy. Never heard him complain about any other supermarket that opens at 7am.

We respect check in, and check out times - and other park rules - because that's what we agree to when we made the reservation. If it means stopping along the way to kill time, so be it. We've done it many times and it's just a part of our travels. I bet it doesn't matter what a rule is, someone will think it's stooooopid or not fair because it doesn't work for them. Reminds me of what it was like to be the parent of a teenager - a "That's NOT FAIR!" followed by the sound of a door slamming closed.
I believe whining is permitted here. That would presumably include whining about whining as well.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
3 PM check-in , no exceptions

Wife and I have been RVing for 56 years. During those years we have very rarely seen ANY site prep being done after a camper checks out. Especially now with the labor shortage there is very little site prep going on. Work campers that state that they need 4 hours for site prep or even to check voltage at a pedestal are stretching it pretty far. I had never considered the KWH savings to the Campground before but it might just be the reasoning behind the3 PM check-in with no exceptions. Please stay safe.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:39 PM   #23

sites really shouldn't need cleaned up if people followed the rule of leave nothing but footprints and you should do a good job of not even leaving those.

but those days are gone and people treat sites like hotel rooms.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:40 PM   #24

I certainly understand the owner / manager viewpoint

Also the renter viewpoint. When trying to justify a campground vs Walmart that one day campground starts to feel like a half day.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I honestly don't think private parks are worried about having time to prepare a vacant site for the next camper. I have rarely if ever witnessed campground personnel cleaning or inspecting a vacant site.

IMHO if a busy campground has 200 sites and they can keep 50 or 60 RVs off of some sites from noon until 3pm they will save a ton on electricity during a busy month. When we come off the road all three of our a/c units run non-stop for a couple hours if it is a hot afternoon.

Agreed.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
I certainly understand the owner / manager viewpoint

Also the renter viewpoint. When trying to justify a campground vs Walmart that one day campground starts to feel like a half day.
hotels are the same way. checkout in the morning/ checkin at a much later time.

I really don't see a difference in a site or a hotel room as far as in/out times.
I don't know it doesn't bother me that much, just adjust schedule accordingly.

Another reason campgrounds may be implementing these times is to cut down on the traffic, where everyone is leaving /coming at same time and turn it in a giant dustbowl/trafficjam
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
I believe whining is permitted here. That would presumably include whining about whining as well.

Check in and check out times are good things. It'd be awful to have to put up with people trying to move in early while I was still asleep or have to wait til sundown to get into a site. A no earlier than 3pm check in may not be to my liking but it's something I'd have to go along with if I insisted in staying at that park.

I will admit though, I've whined a few times when established park rules such as check out time and quiet hours weren't being enforced.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
We are almost always early to the cg because of when I want to leave trying to avoid the worst traffic. If the site is open we've never had an issue getting in early. Check in here though is 1pm.
OP said the park rule is 3pm, no exceptions.
You aren't getting in early there.