Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #1

3 Week Trip to Colorado in July

We've never been - any suggestions?

Going to try to get a spot inside Rocky Mountain NP...that's all I've got so far
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

For me, the San Juan Mountains in the state's southwestern corner are the best of Colorado. Spectacular jagged mountain peaks, less busy and less developed than the rest of the Colorado Rockies. This would include Telluride, Silverton and Ouray. Durango is nearby and popular with RVers. And if you wanted to extend your trip to Mesa Verde, Canyonlands and Arches National Parks (the latter two in Utah) it's trivial from there.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

I like the the Southwest the best as FirstTracks said. I agree with all they said.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Thanks! We did Arches/Canyonlands/Moab at Thanksgiving.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Breckenridge in summer can be very comfortable. No need for AC.

I also love the southwest Durango, Ouray, Telluride and Mesa Verde.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post

Going to try to get a spot inside Rocky Mountain NP...that's all I've got so far
From an earlier post on the subject - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/weste...ml#post3907414

We can give you more detailed info if you give us more.

How long in the state? The full three weeks?

What do you enjoy - so much to see and do - so helps if you point us in the right direction. Hike - 4X4's - Fly Fish - Hot Springs - Rafting - Tour - National Parks - Just relax.

Help us out.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you go to Denver be careful where you walk.

https://joeforamerica.com/2017/12/no...ver-sidewalks/
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:11 PM   #8

We have 3 kids (8, 10, 12) and enjoy hiking, moderate off roading, fishing...anything active. We prefer National/State parks, and BLM is good as well. The further from crowds/urban areas the better. Prefer the cool of the mountains in the summer.

And, yes, full three weeks. We'll be closer to 4 weeks on the road but have to account for getting there and back from Southern California. We usually do a day or two of hard driving and then stay somewhere for 3 - 6 nights and explore the area.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
We have 3 kids (8, 10, 12) and enjoy hiking, moderate off roading, fishing...anything active. We prefer National/State parks, and BLM is good as well. The further from crowds/urban areas the better. Prefer the cool of the mountains in the summer.

And, yes, full three weeks. We'll be closer to 4 weeks on the road but have to account for getting there and back from Southern California. We usually do a day or two of hard driving and then stay somewhere for 3 - 6 nights and explore the area.
All the more reason to recommend the San Juans. You're driving right past them anyway to get to RMNP, and you'll find them less crowded with many of the things you enjoy.

Our visit last summer was before our launch of Grand Adventure, so I have no video B-roll from there. Busskipper should remember it well. But I'll be doing a "Kitchen Table Trips" episode or two about the area this winter that'll include maps, discussion of the area and sights to see, and motion stills a la Ken Burns.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #10

For now: http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358517

TR: SW Colorado (San Juans and Mesa Verde NP) 9/1-7/2017
Old 12-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

We spent a week in sept. in silverton with our jeep, I was in heaven. So many roads to ride and the campgrounds are reasonable. I plan on going back in a year or so and staying longer. Have fun.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #12

If you stay in the state parks for any length of time, check out the Colorado state parks pass. Will pay for itself after a few nights. Don't remember the cost. Book now for summer fun.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
We have 3 kids (8, 10, 12) and

enjoy hiking,

moderate off roading,

fishing...

anything active.

We prefer National/State parks, and

BLM is good as well.

The further from crowds/urban areas the better.

Prefer the cool of the mountains in the summer.

And, yes, full three weeks.

We'll be closer to 4 weeks on the road but have to account for getting there and back from Southern California.

We usually do a day or two of hard driving and then stay somewhere for 3 - 6 nights and explore the area.
OK - good info - 8,10 & 12 Great ages for Colorado, just remember they are still KIDs so need to keep things on the agenda that they will enjoy. I've got 6 granddaughters 5-14 and they love the Mountains and the trip into them - BUT - they only know one speed - Wide Open, so after a day or two they need to Recharge. Just keep that in mind.

Water is always just FUN, and any encounter will be something they enjoy - One year after the epic Hike in Marron Bells - I asked the girls what their favorite part of the hike was - "Throwing, skipping rocks in the Stream" - this was after hiking through the Golden Aspen in one of the most Beautiful spots in the World! So just remember to see things through their eyes.........

I'll make a lot of suggestions, as I've been fortunate enough to have been through these areas. Remember these are what I enjoy and may be too many and be much too rapid paced for many, but just set your pace and pick and choose as needed.

Leaving I'd head to the Grand Canyon - Trailer Village - first, easy long day to get there - Great reward, to get a Sunset and a Sunrise. Then a slow day out - going East on RT 64. Even if you have been, think about going again - just to drive through is Heaven and the kids will enjoy romping around the edges of the Canyon. (Even you big Kids will enjoy it)

From there many options - I'll just list them, you can pick or skip - Marble Canyon - Page/Lake Powell - Antelope Canyon - Monument Valley - Mexican Hat - then to Mesa Verde. Or if it's not too Hot, head in another direction from GC - Canyon de Chelly - Guided tour into the Valley by one of the Owners of the Valley (Special) then on up to Mesa Verde. Remember you have a trip home that can include some of these so........

So leaving Home, you see I've make Mesa Verde the destination/entrance into Colorado. Keep in mind that it is likely warm there, so plan accordingly as to length of stay.

As you have now been in the Heat for a while, time to get into the San Juan's - Heaven in the Summer - keep in mind - often cool - often a little damp (Thunderstorms/rain/drizzle/clouds) - So how do you want to go - As you have said you enjoy Moderate off roading and away from the crowds - so lets head to Trout Lake/Dunton areas around the Western side of the San Juan's - If you need a little water - Mckee Reservoir is available heading North - then to Rico - possible over to the BLM around Dunton (I first visited it when it was just a little Bar with some hot Springs) all sorts of trails/gravel roads just beautiful and NO PEOPLE. Then on up to Trout Lake - if you search or talk to the locals they may be able to tell you how to get to - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - again just you and a few locals with streams everywhere and more eye candy than you thought possible.

As you make this drive into this area, you will need to pick and choose, as there is enough to fill the entire month (IMHO), just here, if you read my old post it covers a quick highlight tour of the State. Telluride is fun, lots to see and do here then up to Ridgway State Park on the Lake - Ouray with Hot Springs - Drive RT550 in the TV to see if you are up for Silverton and what it offers. We have enjoyed the Ski Resorts with the Kids in the Summer always a lot of activities if you need a day with People (Purgatory and Telluride)

Where to Now?

No wrong choices - North to Black Canyon of the Gunnison - Colorado Monument - Dinosaur NM - Marble - Red Stone - Maroon Bells/Aspen - Glenwood Springs - What will the kids like????????????

Or over to Buena Vista - Collegiates - Camp Hale - Red Cliff - Leadville - Breck - Berthoud Pass - RMNP - Steamboat - Grand Lake - Golden - Boulder - Denver...................

Are we on the right path? Can we help with more direction in a specific area?

I have just spent days driving and hiking in this/these parts of Colorado and evey Minute - every Mile is just Different/Special - So let us know - there is more info on this forum than you can digest - You need to continue to point us in the direction YOU want to go - we will try to fill in the blanks.

Hope this is a start to what you re looking for.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #14

Man, oh man, do I love this site!

Thank you so much for this...it'll keep me going for a while. It sounds like I'll have to think of the next trip as well

Busskipper - you're right up my alley
FirstTracks - I'll be checking out your Youtube channel for sure

I appreciate all the tips, large and small!

Tags
colorado