Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #15

WOW!!! We really appreciate the great suggestions. Lots to digest! Might be adding an extra week to the schedule.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great stuff so far. One I would add is the Abo, Quarai, and Gran Quivira ruins north of Mountainaire, about an hour SE of ABQ. Fenton Lake, in my opinion is kinda dumpy and not the easiest to navigate or park with a bigger RV or trailer. A better year round site is Manzano state park, also just north of Mountainaire. I have no problem getting my class A in there and it's a nice quiet place. Whether you can get a spot in there (or anywhere during fiesta time) is another question but offering it for consideration. Tent Rock national monument NW of ABQ is a really neat place to hike. Nearby is Cochiti lake which isn't the most remarkable place to camp but there's lots of sites there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
WOW!!! We really appreciate the great suggestions. Lots to digest! Might be adding an extra week to the schedule.
Probably the biggest challenge is finding something for the first week or so, as the ABQ/SF area will be booked solid due to the Balloon Festival. You'll likely need to start the trip several hours away, then loop back at least a week later once the crowds clear out.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #18

We just made reservations at Trailer Ranch RV park in Santa Fe for the last weekend of the balloon festival about a week ago. We are paying the higher balloon fiesta rates though.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #19

Thanks for all the excellent info! Our current plan is to explore NM & AZ for 4 weeks.

Albuquerque > Grants > Petrified Forest > Painted Desert > South Rim GC > Sedona > Kartchner Caverns > Silver Cty > Gila Cliff Dwellings > Las Cruces > Carlsbad Caverns.....then start heading back to FL.

If there are any "must see" along this route Please let us know.

Thanks again!!!
Old 09-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #20

It sounds like we may be crossing paths a time or two, we will be arriving in Santa Fe on Oct 12th, then on to Page, south rim of the Grand Canyon the following weekend, then my wife if flying home and I am making my way back by way of Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest, then down through NM, possibly stopping at Carlsbad and across Texas.

If you see a Safari Trek with a mural of a mountain and an Elk on the back it is probably us.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #21

I live in AZ (extremely liberal Tucson to be exact) so I take every opportunity to leave. lol
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #22

in page we heartily recommend the Wahweep RV Park & Campground, a concessionaire park inside the natl. recreation area. excellent park.

https://www.lakepowell.com/rv-campin...rv-campground/
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #23

With three weeks to burn, I would burn one in Sedona, AZ. Then I would go north to Utah, One week near Zion National park, then one week near Brice Canyon National Park. Honestly you could spend 3 weeks at any of these and not see enough.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndrorder View Post
Hate to admit it publicly, but Albuquerque is rampant with vehicle and petty theft. Be sure to secure your stuff well. Older F250's and F350's unattended in public parking areas are targeted especially.

Take this warning above serious. Just get out of ABQ area and things will improve (some). I know, used to live there and moved out 2 years ago. Talking with friends back there it has not gotten any better.

In general NM state parks are pretty good, it can be a bit barren in the drier areas. So don't expect lots of trees and grass. Balloon Fiesta is not the time to be in ABQ unless that is your reason to be there. Go south or north to get out of the congestion and filled camping areas.

Elephant Butte state park is a nice park to visit and spend a few days, biggest lake in NM. So is up around Taos and the enchanted circle.

I would say you have better options if you go to AZ, but that might be my bias since I know the negative side of NM more.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:16 AM   #25

Thanks for all the input. We had issues with the brakes on our GM 3500, so we got started 10 days later than expected. Ended up staying 8 nights in Camp Verde, south of Sedona. We ran and hiked every day....had a blast. Now making plans for a 6 week trip next year which will include Lake Powell area, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Karchner Caverns and various stops along the way.

Took I-20 out and I-40 back. Will definitely stick with I-40. Birmingham and bridge construction in OK were the only 2 bad spots.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #26

I am glad you had a good time, I hope the weather cooperated, we ended up running from the arctic blast and ended up skipping Carlsbad on the drive home to get away from the cold weather. Even trying to stay ahead of it, we were caught with 17F lows one night in Springerville, AZ.