Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you everyone for the great information. I am really looking forward to this trip and all of your great info is so helpful in planning.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been a dozen plus times to Yellowstone, sometimes for a day or two, sometimes for two weeks. Not quite as fond of the Tetons, but we have spent a few weeks in total there. As someone else said, these parks are HUGE. I would recommend staying in 3 different places to minimize unproductive drive time - somewhere north, somewhere west, and somewhere south. We like Rocky Mountain Campground in Gardiner for a northern spot. For the west, try Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. For south, we prefer Gros Ventre in Grand Tetons, but it is a long haul to Yellowstone Lake from there. Flagg Ranch is a reasonable compromise. My biggest recommendation is to be at the park gates as early as you possibly can, even 5:30-6:00 am. Lots fewer people and lots more animals before they get frightened off by the hoards. Bring your own lunch or eat in one of the fabulous lodges (our preference), then go back to your campsite for an afternoon nap. Go back into the park about 4:00, taking a picnic dinner with you. Everybody else will be leaving. May is actually my favorite time to visit. Fewer people and more animal sittings are a welcome trade off for the possibility of a couple of cold mornings and maybe some snow. The snow won’t last, but it keeps the riff raff out LOL! Besides, you will be able to see more evidence of thermal features in the cool air. Yellowstone has over half the world’s entire collection of thermal features, and they are absolutely, unbelievably incredible.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Using all of your great advice I have worked my schedule to allow 4 weeks at Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. Shall I plan a week on each "side" (east, north, west south) or is it more beneficial to do less in one area and more in another?

I will be coming from the east from SD and going to Utah from there.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Using all of your great advice I have worked my schedule to allow 4 weeks at Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. Shall I plan a week on each "side" (east, north, west south) or is it more beneficial to do less in one area and more in another?

I will be coming from the east from SD and going to Utah from there.

Thank you in advance.
Olive ,

Let us know where and when you will be in each area.

Let me assume you start in Cody, look at Buffalo SP - then the town and close in is good for a couple maybe three days - the Museum Buffalo, Bill has a great reputation.

Look for some great drives - Chief Joeseph highway - Beartooth highway - Wind River Canyon - also so many options are available for things to see and do. Thermopolis hot springs and many water possibilities as you look around.

Also keep in mind that you have a Wal*Mart in Cody so be sure to restock, as there is little in the park.

Last note here - Tetons are a place that we have visited often and they Never get old - add to that Jackson Lake - and all the water option that are around you certainly need a week here too.

Hope this is a help,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you again Busskipper. I'm thinking instead of 1 week at each place, maybe 4 or 5 days on the east side/Cody then adding more time in the south/Tetons. Does that sound more practical?
Old 01-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Having been fortunate enough to do Ystone and Tetons 12+ times over 60 years, I would increase your time in the Tetons. Anymore the crowds in Ystone and the bison traffic jams (used to be bear jams), and the amount of fire damage, makes Ystone less appealing. While this past summer was busy, without tour buses there were fewer rude Asians... take the dam selfie and get out of the middle of the boardwalk...guess I should be glad most are on the boardwalk. The Tetons have an entire different feel and hasn’t changed as much from 60 years ago.

Depending on where your friends are in CO, I would do RMNP from Grand Lake before going to UT.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Thank you again Busskipper. I'm thinking instead of 1 week at each place, maybe 4 or 5 days on the east side/Cody then adding more time in the south/Tetons. Does that sound more practical?
Looking over your many post on the "BIG TRIP" you are planning, Thinking it would help, if you listed the Big Picture of this Adventure.

Sort of the "I'm starting here wanting to go __________and ______and____...........at this time of the Year. I enjoy Hiking...Photography ...... Fishing ...... Driving ....... 4 X 4'ing...................................

In order to get truly helpful info, we need to be able to apply it to what YOU enjoy.

There are a number of people on the forum who share your Likes and can really help.

Last Summer, with the Covid Issues we were able to literally Just Go (Grand Kids had no camps and were free to go) - No reservations (We did have one in Ridgway SP - had to Cancel) but we started in Early June in Yellowstone - worked our way South - Tetons - Flaming Gorge - Dino - Vernal - Montrose and the San Juan's - Great Sand Dunes - Taos - RT 24 Red Cliff area - RT 133 - Delta - Black Canyon - Gunnison - Salida - Buena Vista - Denver area - returned Home/Grasonville - Retuned to Buena Vista - Monarch - Ran up to Custer for a week then Back to Golden before meandering home again with stops in Missouri - Kentucky and West Virginia.

Did all this with only a few reservations and Had a Ball - Being with Kids they enjoyed the Water - so much of what we did was away from the crowds and along the Streams - Lakes and Reservoirs. We took advantage of Wal*Mart and used the for Shopping (Customer Pick Up) and overnight locations as we traveled out and back across the country a few times. - Using Campendium we found some great stops along the way - in Small Town Parks and COE spots - Really were high lights of the drive out and Back.

We timed much of our travel with the Weather - Warmer in the Summer in the Rockies, using the elevation to avoid the heat - Then later again when the Aspen Changed - Beautiful!

We used to be Hikers - Kids still are - but we had so many Great Drives in everyone of these great places - the Country is Unbelievable - Beautiful - Spectacular and the People were/are just Great.

Will agree with Ivy that in the reality YNP is a challenge - Just Really Big - With Construction and CG closures - Covid restrictions - Etc....... was really not where we spent the Most time, as it is just not easy in Season - Traffi - Crowds - No Parking left - the areas around were just More Fun - Less Crowded - and still Beautiful . The Tetons/Jackson/Victor/Driggs were all just great! Being able to just drive out on the Sandy Beach at Flaming Gorge was one of the more Memorable things the Kids remembered.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, There are No Wrong Choices - Biggest Issue - IMHO - is to not Just Do It!

Couple of last notes - Be sure the Coach is in Good Shape - check all systems before you go - Toad also - Maps - a good paper atlas - shoes and outer wear Floppy Hat - good Sunglasses - you need to be prepared for all temperatures and Sun and Rain - In July in the Rockies we had Night's in the Mid 40's -

Let us know what you want to Do - the group will help out.

Best of Luck, Hope this is of some Help.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Ivylog and Busskipper, great advice.

I live in a 2007 DP with toad. My late husband and I started camping in 1977 with a travel trailer. In 1999 I bought a gas motorhome, sold the house the next year and have been fulltime ever since. In 2007 I sold the gas coach and bought moved in to the Journey.

I do have the motorhome serviced yearly at Freightliner in Gaffney, SC which will be done in April before I head west. I can do basic things on car like oil change and tuneup and have it otherwise serviced yearly also.

I like to hike but my body doesn't always agree. I am a very amateur photographer but enjoy it a lot. I like scenic drives also, no 4x4. I enjoy being off the beaten path too and will check out the places you mentioned also Busskipper.

So after all these years of family/volunteer and other commitments I am finally able to spend time in YNP and Utah. I will be in Rapid City, SD in April then head to Yellowstone. Plans so far take me to Devils Tower for a couple days then to Cody, arriving about May 12. I will stay in the Yellowstone area until about June 10. I am going to try to make reservations at Buffalo Bill State park there. After that Mammoth - W Yellowstone - South Yellowstone/Tetons.

As of now I am planning NPS/NFS/BLM at other areas. Boondocking is not a problem. I like just going wherever, whenever, but know these places need some planning due to the crowds. After reading your advice I think I will plan shorter times on east and north side and add time to south and Tetons.

If you saw my other post, from Wyoming I will head southwest to Great Basin - Zion - Bryce - Capitol Reef - Moab/Canyonlands/Arches and sites along the way which is why I am going counter clockwise around YNP. I am planning June 10 to late July for this area. I know it will be hot but hopefully won't be quite as crowded as YNP in summer. I have chosen this order of stops because from Moab I will go to visit friends in SW CO.

I hope to then visit Rocky Mountain NP before heading east for a family wedding in PA in Sept.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions and advice from everyone. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2021, 07:18 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
“ to Cody, arriving about May 12. I will stay in the Yellowstone area until about June 10.” It’s going to be cold and if it’s a heavy snow winter, the south entrance may not be open on May 12... not a problem coming from the East. Good news is the kids are still in school, hopefully in the classroom, so not as many people out yet.

While we are no reservations-boondockers, in your situation staying in a CG is a better idea. In UT you will need AC so dry camping doesn’t make sense. Sounds like a great trip.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Thank you Ivylog and Busskipper, great advice.

I live in a 2007 DP with toad. My late husband and I started camping in 1977 with a travel trailer. In 1999 I bought a gas motorhome, sold the house the next year and have been fulltime ever since. In 2007 I sold the gas coach and bought moved in to the Journey.

I do have the motorhome serviced yearly at Freightliner in Gaffney, SC which will be done in April before I head west. I can do basic things on car like oil change and tune up and have it otherwise serviced yearly also.

I like to hike but my body doesn't always agree. I am a very amateur photographer but enjoy it a lot. I like scenic drives also, no 4x4. I enjoy being off the beaten path too and will check out the places you mentioned also Busskipper.

So after all these years of family/volunteer and other commitments I am finally able to spend time in YNP and Utah. I will be in Rapid City, SD in April then head to Yellowstone. Plans so far take me to Devils Tower for a couple days then to Cody, arriving about May 12. I will stay in the Yellowstone area until about June 10. I am going to try to make reservations at Buffalo Bill State park there. After that Mammoth - W Yellowstone - South Yellowstone/Tetons.

As of now I am planning NPS/NFS/BLM at other areas. Boondocking is not a problem. I like just going wherever, whenever, but know these places need some planning due to the crowds. After reading your advice I think I will plan shorter times on east and north side and add time to south and Tetons.

If you saw my other post, from Wyoming I will head southwest to Great Basin - Zion - Bryce - Capitol Reef - Moab/Canyonlands/Arches and sites along the way which is why I am going counter clockwise around YNP. I am planning June 10 to late July for this area. I know it will be hot but hopefully won't be quite as crowded as YNP in summer. I have chosen this order of stops because from Moab I will go to visit friends in SW CO.

I hope to then visit Rocky Mountain NP before heading east for a family wedding in PA in Sept.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions and advice from everyone. Thank you!
I tried to highlight the Mission of the trip - what pops out at me is the fact that this trip in reverse would just be so much easier (Weather) - so much more Logical, as to weather and seeing the things you desire - IMHO the Weather just makes the trip more Memorable - and counterclockwise well is just.....backwards (JMHO).

Two things come to Mind - slowing down - Literally listing all the Dream Spots you want to Visit, then trying to put them together in a schedule - into a map .........

Think about heading across the USA a little further South to start this trip and Capture Arizona and Utah first then to head up to YNP - MAP - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=ddb29...=2&form=S00027 - just a thought.

Then from Moab you could head North - Up RT 191 - seeing Dino - Flaming Gorge then on up to Alpine and on to Jackson and getting into the Tetons and YNP in the Summer - Warmer, but still nice cool Nights - sure the Crowds will be heavy but you will not be in Snow Gear. -

From there you could head out to Cody then Devils Tower before going over to Custer and Capturing the Black Hills.

Now down through the Snowy Range before stopping in Grand Lake and RMNP and seeing your friends in Southern Utah.

Might even get lucky and Capture a Little of the Aspen changing in September in Colorado, before heading to the Wedding in PA.

Let me also add that you are to be Commended for taking on this Ambitious Adventure - I am just trying to Give you an Alternative to the April Start in The Black Hills - look here - https://weatherspark.com/m/4063/4/Av...-United-States

West Yellowstone weather in May - https://weatherspark.com/m/2769/5/Av...-United-States

Keep in mind that some of the largest snowfall events in the Rockies occour in April and May - https://www.google.com/search?q=Imag...iw=994&bih=464

Let me say that I LOVE the Snow - BUT - I also tow a 4X4 and have spent 20 years Hauling my Kids around to Ski - on the East Coast for 5-10 years then in the Rockies for 10 - 20 years - Great for Skiing just not that Great for Sight Seeing. - Unless you are trying to see the Rockies in their Winter Whites. -

Starting really just ramble so I'll close - Look over the thoughts I suggest - Keep in mind, I'm just trying to make this More Fun For YOU.

Best of Luck,

Just one Image - In the background of this Image are the Peals of Yellowstone - Beautiful in Mid - June
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1690.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	314055  
Old 01-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you again, great advice. I had looked at doing the trip in reverse but that would put me in SD during Sturgis Bike rally in August. With all of this advice I am thinking I should slow down and not try to do so much on this trip, possibly doing just Utah or just YNP. I will certainly look again at starting from the south.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Thank you again, great advice. I had looked at doing the trip in reverse but that would put me in SD during Sturgis Bike rally in August. With all of this advice I am thinking I should slow down and not try to do so much on this trip, possibly doing just Utah or just YNP. I will certainly look again at starting from the south.
You definitely don't want to be there for Sturgis Bike Rally! That's where a big Covid spread began there and neighboring states.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone