Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2023, 07:31 PM   #1

30 days to get to Oshkosh Wis. EAA EVENT. :)

Hello all.

We are about 4 months away from a huge aviation event in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The Experimental Aviation Associations big show. I’m. Just starting my planning to go there. But, we have a month to burn up getting there.

We are leaving osoyoos bc with lots of time to spare. A month. I’ve started looking at places we have to see. Like, Tetons, Mnt Rushmore, Yellowstone etc. but it’s a crap load of information. Oh, did I mention diners driving and dives? We want to keep them in our plans too. I digress.

Today I read about thirty pages of info on doing Yellowstone. East gate, west gate etc. a lot has been said about RV friendly routes. It’s great information.

But, there is always a but. We want to continue eastward after Yellowstone. So my questions

Best way in and out of Yellowstone but heading east after?
Other sites you think we “must see” heading towards Wisconsin?
If you had a month, where would you go?

We are fine boondocking, harvest boasting etc, we can easily do 8 days dry so?

Thanks very much in advance.
Jrm7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2023, 08:45 AM   #2

EAA is a hoot even if you are not really deep into aviation. Done it a couple of times.

The camping area is HUGE. Be sure to take bikes. E bikes if you have them. They have shuttle buses serving the CG but getting to a shuttle stop can be a long hike. If there is rain the whole CG turns into a mudfest.

Have fun no matter what the weather is.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:13 AM   #3

I live in Wisconsin, about 60 miles from Oshkosh.

Have made several trips out west to the Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore area including Glacier NP.
Going again this July btw.

I'd recommend visiting Glacier NP as part of your trip.
Might want to add Theodore Roosevelt NP to your itinerary but having driven from Glacier to TR NP I would not recommend Montana or North Dakota state or US highways to get there - take the Interststate route instead.

Montana and N Dakota state and US highways from Glacier to TR are often narrow with little or no shoulders set atop steep ridges for miles and miles. Scenic for sure, and can be done, but not big rv friendly.

Another itinerary add is Wisconsin Dells. I would recommend Fox Hills Campground in Baraboo WI. Ride the Ducks, WW2 era landing craft, touring the Wisconsin River. Visit nearby Devils Lake SP while in the area taking the free ferry across the Wisconsin River at Lodi WI.

Then move on to Oshkosh.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another WI option would be the driftless area of WI, basically the SW corner of the state. Not really any specific attractions per se but beautiful country, some camping/hiking/biking and holes in the wall to visit. Might qualify for some "hold time" on your way in or out of WI. Door county is what's usually recommended but during the summer and fall that place is slammed.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:16 AM   #5

Glacier’s Going to the Sun Road is breathtaking going east starting as soon as it is light. Stop at all the turnouts, or as many as you can tolerate. Go slowly! Beautiful sunrise over the mountains, and not too hot. Be sure to get your $2 three-day pass before you go, though, or you will be turned away. We parked the trailer in a CG and took the truck both ways on GTTS road in one day to see the light from different angles. There are lots of CGs near the west entrance with space and amenities.
We like the blue roads, so traveled from WI to Glacier along US 2-picturesque and interesting to go through small town country. Small mom&pop CGs were easy to find and lovely to stay. HH also available. We loved Canosia Farm in N. MN.
See Mt Rushmore by driving through the Iron Mountain Road tunnels for spectacular views through these CCC tunnels(check height and width before taking your rig through). Badlands are beautiful!
If you go to Yellowstone, take in Grand Tetons (leave via south exit). However, we love the beautiful road along the Gallatin River that takes you along the west side of YSNP. Lots of primitive CGs along that road.
Theodore Roosevelt NP is small but a very lovely drive.
Apostle Islands and Voyageurs NP (boundary waters) in northern MN are spectacular. We did a sea kayak tour of the sea caves last summer-really interesting, and doable for us old farts.
Lots of hiking and biking opportunities all along the way.
Have a great trip!
Old 03-20-2023, 01:50 PM   #6

About driving the Going to the Sun Road pass, passes go on sale for your trip time frame April 1 - coming up fast.

I did almost the same trip (mileage and days) from Wisconsin to Glacier via the monuments and Yellowstone then Glacier to TR NP and home in 2022 and had too many long days (350-450 miles) traveling. Traveling alone, I could still do it but with my wife who doesn't move as fast as me had a problem with the pace to where we had to add a day of rest every so often.

200 - 350 miles a day is all I do now. Much more enjoyable. And getting an early start in the day helps, I often get to my next stop just before check in time.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:22 AM   #7

Sooooo much information

Wow. This is great and appreciated. I've added Glacier NP into Triptic so we are going to stay on the CDN side until we can drop down into GNP. It looks like a very doable area Re: driving there and around, in and out.

My next question is for those of you that have done Yellowstone. Between the IRV2 site and the Winnebago owners site I have been getting lots of info and I've setup a very basic route. However, Triptic doesn't want to drive through the park to get to the other side. I can rearrange it but i thought i would post it and see if i should be using some particular route that is most RV friendly then force the Trip tic to do what i want later.

Having said al that could anyone give me some advice on the route in and out?

Thanks in advance and screen capture is attached.

BTW, due to your suggestions I've added about six stops that I would never have had known about. I love these forums. Thanks.

BBTW, when the Triptic is finished Ill post it as a cross the USA helper for the next guy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf junk.pdf (484.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-22-2023, 08:21 PM   #8

The Black Hills are a vacation unto themselves. Rushmore (for a Canadian may be, eh!) and then there is Crazy Horse, Iron Mtn Highway, Needles Highway, wildlife loop in Custer State Park, plus Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, The Mammoth Site, Devils tower.

I suggest you visit https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/b...-travel-guides and look at the guides and maps.

I did a whirlwind tour of the area in 2017 and its in my thread here.

The problem with doing the Black Hills is that Oshkosh Airventure is July 24 – July 30, 2023 while the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is August 4 -13, 2023. Generally the bikers show up in Sturgis two week or more early to ride the Black Hills and then clear out at the end of the rally. That was my experience in 2017, when I arrived two days after the end of Sturgis and I probably didn't see a half dozen motorcycles the whole time I was there, and I was informed by persons on this board who grew up in the area that is the way it always has been.

So a stop thru the Hills enroute to Oshkosh will put you in the build up of the crowd at Sturgis (and limited camping) and a trip thru on the return will put you in the thick of things. If you do go to the Black Hills, do it as early as possible, and leave other stops (such as Yellowstone and the Tetons) to the return journey when the crowds there have abaded (back to school).

Charles
Old 03-24-2023, 08:13 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrm7997 View Post
My next question is for those of you that have done Yellowstone. Between the IRV2 site and the Winnebago owners site I have been getting lots of info and I've setup a very basic route. However, Triptic doesn't want to drive through the park to get to the other side. I can rearrange it but i thought i would post it and see if i should be using some particular route that is most RV friendly then force the Trip tic to do what i want later.

Thanks in advance and screen capture is attached.

BTW, due to your suggestions I've added about six stops that I would never have had known about. I love these forums. Thanks.

BBTW, when the Triptic is finished Ill post it as a cross the USA helper for the next guy.
I see you are going to Garryowen, plan on seeing The Little Big Horn Battlefield. Also, at Garryowen is a Tomb of The Unknown Solider, from the battle. Stop and see it.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:

Driving through Yellowstone can take as long or longer than driving around it. It can be done though. Vehicles frequently stop on the road to watch animals which many times walk across the road, sometimes back and forth like they own the place - shockingly they live there - and cause in effect traffic jams.

Look at your maps for alternate routes. By road type (County, State, US Hwy, Interstate) you can find rv friendly roads. Very doable, might not be a straight line between points but people have been navigating these routes for decades.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:20 PM   #11

good suggestion it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
I see you are going to Garryowen, plan on seeing The Little Big Horn Battlefield. Also, at Garryowen is a Tomb of The Unknown Solider, from the battle. Stop and see it.
good suggestion its now in the trip tic.

thanks
Old 03-24-2023, 10:23 PM   #12

Thanks for the reply. Its looking like we will be going to the north or west entry. It sounds like the west entry has a scenic drive N to S that might be interesting. We've STILL GOT A LOT OF TIME TO FIGURE IT OUT. oops

Thanks for the help
Old 03-25-2023, 06:50 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
good suggestion its now in the trip tic.

thanks
I would suggest reading up on the battle beforehand, then when you do the battlefield, it will really open your eyes on the battle.
I am talking about how the battle planned out, and what happened, compared to Custer's plan.

Also, we spent 21 days at Yellowstone last summer after the flooding. We were in West Yellowstone and traveled from Yellowstone down to the Grand Tetons, which is about 60 miles south of Yellowstone.
Last year, we could not get to the North Entrance or the Northeast Entrance because of the road damage from the floods.
This year we will be in Yellowstone for 3 months, so we plan on doing allot more. But for that 3-month period, we will be working there for the company that handles the stores, restaurants, motels.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:07 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Doing the same, but starting from NC.

Been to WI several years back and one of the best stops we did was near Spring Green, where we visited the House on the Rocks. Check it out. Not going this time, but heading North to Tomahawk to see a friend and their BIG 4th fireworks show.

Tags
vent