Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #1

8 days from ZionNP to Grand Teton

First trip West in New motorhome 37 ft towing CRV. We have 8 days between reservations at Zion NP 6/4 to Coutler Bay RV Grand teton 6/12. Would appreciate itinerary suggestions. Daughter wants to go to Page for Slot Canyon photos then north from there i guess. Thanks in advance.

3715 Ventana - 2013 CRV
JakenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You wouldn’t be able to all of these in eight days, but here are some ideas:

Monument Valley
Capital Reef
Moab (Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point)
Bruce Canyon

Have fun!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #3

While in Page be sure to take the Tour Boat to Rainbow Bridge. You will not be disappointed.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #4

You don't have the time to tour all of these but some suggestions: If you're coming from Florida, Page and Antelope Canyon would be the first logical stop before getting to Zion.

From Zion take I-15 north to Hwy 20 east to UT89 south to Hwy 12 east. Stay at Ruby's RV to tour Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park.

Continue on Hwy 12 and stay in Torrey, UT to tour Capitol Reef Nat'l Park.

Then head toward I-70 and pick up either UT10 to Price, UT to 292 toward Duchesne then UT 40 to Heber City and wind your way to 89 and Jackson, WY and on to Colter Bay in Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

You could also, from Torrey, UT, take 24 to I-70 at Green River, UT and pick up 191 and take it all the way to 89 near Jackson, WY. You'll have a chance to stop at Dinosaur Nat'l Monument in Utah and to see Flaming Gorge Nat'l Rec Area.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakenJo View Post
First trip West in New motorhome 37 ft towing CRV.

We have 8 days between reservations at Zion NP 6/4 to

Coutler Bay RV Grand Tetons 6/12.

Would appreciate itinerary suggestions.

Daughter wants to go to Page for Slot Canyon photos then

North from there I guess.

Thanks in advance.
Here is a simple map with just a few suggested stops as waypoints - only a few will be possible just pick what works for overnights as you will be Back - Beautiful country but Sooooo much to see and do ...... Never enough TIME.

MAP - https://binged.it/2C4jyMJ - or - https://binged.it/2RbBb7C -

Best of Luck,

Edit;

Twogypsies posted while I was writing - If possible it would be Great to catch Canyon de Chelly - Monument Valley North Rim and Page on the way to Zion - then as suggested head through Bryce - then the State Parks and Capital Reef - if all this is possible add another week or two and at least See some of Utah - It is Target Rich.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

Page also has the Glen Canyon Dam, which is almost the exact same height and size as the Hoover Dam. It creates Lake Powell. The Horseshoe bend is a good photo op as well. Both are practically right in the town of Page. We stayed in Page and drove up to Monument Valley in the toad. I think it was about two hours each way. It was kind of cool to see the scenery that you have seen hundreds of times in the old western movies. When you get to Zion, you may not want to drive through the park from the east. There is a long tunnel that you would have to stay in the middle all the way, and they close the road to oncoming traffic. When you come out of the tunnel, you have to drop a few thousand feet down switchbacks. We took the south route around the bottom of Zion, and stayed in Hurricane. We took the toad to Zion from there. Never been to Grand Tetons, but they are on my list. Happy travels.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #7

Bryce Canyon NP. No question. If you only choose one extra stop on your journey north, once you finish up in Page, make it Bryce. It's off US89, and almost right along your path to Coulter Bay.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #8

Hope you're not passing up Yellowstone Nat'l Park after your stay at Coulter Bay in Grand Teton. It right next door.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #9

By all means possible do not miss Bryce Canyon or Page AZ. You should do Antelope Canyon Slot Canyon and also the Boat tour across Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge. The boat tour takes around 6-8 hours but is well worth the time.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I'm thinking if your daughter wants to go to Page - GO. Know that all those photos of slot canyons are primarily done while taking a tour to Antelope Canyon. You can do the research on that and pick a tour company.

And, yea, LOTS of things to do in Page. But why not stop there, Moab, Salt Lake City and then go by Bear Lake on the way to Jackson, WY. That takes 8 days if you stop here and there.

Alternative, spend ALL your time in one spot. Any place anyone suggested is good for about 4 or 5 days and you can use the rest to stay in the one place you want.

Why not have your daughter pick one other place in addition to Page and do that. She'll never forget it and it will be a lifetime of memories.

One note on Jackson / Coulter Bay. Coulter Bay is a bit far from Jackson, relatively speaking, but your options to stay someplace closer to Jackson/Jackson Hole are limited (been there done that).

Last suggestion - there is no wrong or better route out there. Do your own research, find something that interests you and return with any questions specific to an exact sight or activity you want to do. Otherwise we'll all tend to confuse you with options.

just sayin again... all the suggestions are good and there are no wrong ways to go.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You don't have the time to tour all of these but some suggestions: If you're coming from Florida, Page and Antelope Canyon would be the first logical stop before getting to Zion.

From Zion take I-15 north to Hwy 20 east to UT89 south to Hwy 12 east. Stay at Ruby's RV to tour Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park.

Continue on Hwy 12 and stay in Torrey, UT to tour Capitol Reef Nat'l Park.

Then head toward I-70 and pick up either UT10 to Price, UT to 292 toward Duchesne then UT 40 to Heber City and wind your way to 89 and Jackson, WY and on to Colter Bay in Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

You could also, from Torrey, UT, take 24 to I-70 at Green River, UT and pick up 191 and take it all the way to 89 near Jackson, WY. You'll have a chance to stop at Dinosaur Nat'l Monument in Utah and to see Flaming Gorge Nat'l Rec Area.
Thanks. We actually have made reservations at Trailer Village at South rim of GC ahead of Zion so we will hit there then Page then Zion then on to Byrce and beyond. I thought i was going to have to drive toad to Las Vegas from Zion to pick up daughter but now realize she can fly into Flagstaff while we are at South Rim. Much closer than LV and then we can hit the sites in the order you suggest. Thanks all.

3715 Ventana - 2013 CRV
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Hope you're not passing up Yellowstone Nat'l Park after your stay at Coulter Bay in Grand Teton. It right next door.
We have reservations for 5 nights at Coulter Bay then 5 more at West Yellowstone. Thought we could do some Southern YS sights from Coulter Bay. After we leave West YS trying to figure way back east stopping in the Black Hills area for a while then on to friends in NE and Iowa. Do we go through YS park or around to the North? Some fly fishing friends told me Paradise Valley in MT north of YS is very nice area?

3715 Ventana - 2013 CRV
Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakenJo View Post
We have reservations for 5 nights at Coulter Bay then 5 more at West Yellowstone. Thought we could do some Southern YS sights from Coulter Bay. After we leave West YS trying to figure way back east stopping in the Black Hills area for a while then on to friends in NE and Iowa. Do we go through YS park or around to the North? Some fly fishing friends told me Paradise Valley in MT north of YS is very nice area?
If staying in West Yellowstone I'd suggest taking 191 north to I-90 to head east. You can go through the park if you want to have additional time to see some critters but once you're there you'll find out that it will be slow driving. You would go through the park via to Gardiner and Hwy 89 north to I-90.

Fly fishing? We loved the Ennis, Montana area and also the Livingston area. Have a great time!! Brings back good memories!