Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
WDW

90 minutes = $72.00

I get it why people stay in Walmart parking lots.

Well we had reservations at the Rapid City KOA… Keep on adding on… We missed the cancellation window by 90 minutes because of lack of cell service in our travels. As such canceling a reservation for 4 o'clock this Wednesday at 5:30 on Monday resulting in our losing our deposit.

I'll couple this with my low opinion of the Billings, Montana KOA. We stayed there for a couple of days recently and while it's a reasonably nice facility, tight turns like so many of the other older ones, the fact is they never answer their telephone. I don't understand these campgrounds that don't understand the need to answer their phone and talk to customers about questions they have or to make arrangements to upgrade to a better site.

That goes with the antiquated KOA website. Why is it that the only way you can make a revised reservation is to call the campground directly?

If you already booked one on certain dates and you want to upgrade to a better site that you find online, and they don't answer the phone you can't do that if you are a KOA member because you've already booked those dates and it WONT allow you to use your card to get a discount for a second site. In our case we really didn't want to second site, we just wanted to cancel the first one and upgrade to a better site and the second one but you can't do that electronically with them and you can't do it with them when they don't answer the phone.

As for their 800 number that's just about as useless as anything I've ever seen. Because the people there have no authority to make certain changes. I wrote a feedback piece to their customer service app about my experience and I'm still waiting for a response. Oh wait a minute that was their response not responding because they don't care!

KEEP ON ADDING ON....

And to be fair about it there are some really awesome super terrific KOA's around the country like the one in Cheyenne Wyoming and Spearhead, South Dakota and Chautauqua Lake KOA. Those resident owners care about what they do and how they take care of people.

The best model for park management that we've ever experienced truly is Grizzly RV in East Yellowstone Montana. They don't need a deposit to make a reservation and if you decide to leave early can you give them 24 hours notice they give you your money back on the spot. They have wide streets in the park, its extremely clean well-maintained excellently facilities and utilities. They don't feel the need to charge an excessive amount of money just because they're near a choice world class destination. It is probably the best managed best policy best facility park I have ever visited other than Fort wilderness at Disney World.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree in that I don't think much of KOA corporate. Multiple times I have messaged of consternation with signing up for their annual membership. No responses. I have not gotten signed up and therefore passed on staying at KOA facilities.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

I personally think koa campgrounds are great overall. I know most are a little pricy, but for the most part you know that you are getting a clean reliable place to stay. We prefer to stay at koa campgrounds if possible on our travels. Just my opinion. Safe travels
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #4

We've had pretty mediocre experiences at KOAs as well. That said the BELVIDERE EAST / EXIT 170 KOA near Midland SD along I-90 was terrific. And you're absolutely spot on about Grizzly. We stayed at both in May.
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomo View Post
I personally think koa campgrounds are great overall. I know most are a little pricy, but for the most part you know that you are getting a clean reliable place to stay. We prefer to stay at koa campgrounds if possible on our travels. Just my opinion. Safe travels

I don't disagree however there are the rogue issues within their oorganization that they have failed to address.

With the explosion of new RV owners coming online and using facilities it would appear that sometimes the only reason obsolete facilities and failed policies are succeeding is because demand is greater than the management. (Owners and the brand licensor) ability to supply a quality product. It wouldn't be so hard to upgrade things to at least the standards of Motel 6!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

WDW - Here the guy you want to write to:

http://www.goodsamclub.com/rvcentral...icleid=2575909

By the way, this designation is based on surveying franchisees, not customers.
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

KOA has a membership program?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Well... Yeah, it does. Although I'd much rather join FMCA or Harvest Hosts or even Passport America... Although even they are slipping in their knowledge of CGs which are using their name/membership to provide even passable accomodations for us out here on the road.

My solution is simple: If you see a KOA – they acheived their "Keep On Adding" moniker for a reason! – on the way to your "good" or even "excellent" site, per RVPark Reviews, at an independent campground... CALL THEM and say, "I bypassed your campground because KOAs are so crappy!" I'd love to be in the present to watch/hear them call corporate to let them know the brand is so ultimately tarnished!

I might add: There are many, many, FORMER KOAs — you can always tell if the camp office is an A-frame! — who have left the umbrella, most likely because the parent company didn't provide the support expected or contracted! And those former campgrounds are probably doing quite well, thank you!

It's up to you.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

Yes, the Value Kard Reward, or VKR plan. It's their version of a frequent user plan.

Annual membership of $30 gets you a 10% discount on camping costs plus reward points per stay. Certain number of points accrued brings additional discounts. Membership pays for itself with about 5 stays.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Joined KOA right after picking up our new RV. It's served it's purpose, providing a quick stay while on the road. We haven't tried the Walmart boondocking yet. Very soon though we won't have much of a need for KOA's as the plan is to stay at local CG's, SP's, NP's, etc. along our routes, even if it means we go a little out of our way, as we'll be equipped to handle off-grid living.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #11

While I have stayed in few KOA's the one I stay at occasionally in Buena Vista CO I have no issue with. While not the best rv campground I have ever stayed in the owners are very nice and try to be as accommodating as possible. I think there is blame to go on both sides the operators not doing all that they could do for a good experience as well as KOA corp not doing all that they could do to make the experience great and the sometimes double whammy of both not meeting expectations.
I know in my recent set of reservations at the Buena Vista KOA I got one reservation done online though it was telling me all these sites were sold out except for a few which didn't surprise me even though I was looking over a month out. I then did another one same thing yet it was another week out. And a third one that was another two weeks out and it siad they were completely sold out for any space my rig would fit in
In any case I called them about a special request for the first two trips to see if they could do it (which they could) as you couldn't do it online. In any case while speaking with her on the phone the website came up and she told me it was not to be trusted as far as what was really available. She upgraded my site to what I originally wanted but on the website said they were sold out and then took my next reservation I had done online and did the same thing. I then added another weekend reservation that the website said they were completely sold out and she told me no we have space and even a premium space so i had her add that to.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

We have yet to find a KOA that's good for more than a one night stop.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #13

I agree with the problems with KOA, but must say I have stayed at a couple of them that were nice enough to stay at for more than 1 night, 2 that come to mind are Ozark Alabama (though I only spent 1 night), and Hot Springs Arkansas, they even offer an on demand $3 PP shuttle to the tourist district.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #14

We have stayed at a number of KOA's, some of them frequently. We enjoy our stays at those and will continue to go there. No, they are not cheap and some are better than others. We have also stayed at some more expensive campgrounds that were highly rated and expensive to boot that we will not return to. All in all, you can get toasted at a number of places and not all of them are KOA's.