Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #1

A little advice appreciated

So going on two years with the Cov scare and all that goes along with it has me a bit stuck in my tracks. Made an investment into a beautiful 15 year old HR Navigator 2 1/2 years ago. It’s a well maintained and upgraded coach with many miles left on it. Things kinda got off track not long after I retired with grand plans to tour the country with my newly purchased RV because of the Cov scare.

So now I am almost 3 years older and have barely used this coach to it’s potential, I feel as if the momentum has been lost and can’t clearly decide if it’s prudent to just pack up and roll down south hoping to find someplace decent to land amongst the virus panicked country or what. I peruse the various online offerings and they all seem to be somewhat noncommittal and lord only knows what type of crowed conditions or what exists at these various sites. I simply want to find a quiet and not flashy place that provides for a monthly rental as close to beach areas as possible.

I can’t imagine driving this 43’ rig down south cold calling on various gulf coast campgrounds at the mercy of whatever the Covid has done to the open areas. Would I be better serviced literally driving down in my car and spend a week vetting the various beach location campgrounds? I don’t fancy driving around from site to site hoping that one is just right for a monthly stay and certainly am not reassured by the sparsity of information available on line. It is truly a dilemma given the fact that things are so unsettled at this time.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 06:35 PM   #2

Go ahead and take a chance

We have travelled about 160 days since COVID started. Campgrounds have adapted to the new normal. Some activities have been cancelled and common areas often have restrictions, but it seems to be business as usual.

States vary in their responses. Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida are all pretty much open. Even restaurants at 50-75% capacity.

We feel much more at risk going to the grocery store than staying at the campgrounds.

Go out and enjoy the coast.
raeburn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuccosteve View Post
So going on two years with the Cov scare and all that goes along with it has me a bit stuck in my tracks. Made an investment into a beautiful 15 year old HR Navigator 2 1/2 years ago. It’s a well maintained and upgraded coach with many miles left on it. Things kinda got off track not long after I retired with grand plans to tour the country with my newly purchased RV because of the Cov scare.

So now I am almost 3 years older and have barely used this coach to it’s potential, I feel as if the momentum has been lost and can’t clearly decide if it’s prudent to just pack up and roll down south hoping to find someplace decent to land amongst the virus panicked country or what. I peruse the various online offerings and they all seem to be somewhat noncommittal and lord only knows what type of crowed conditions or what exists at these various sites. I simply want to find a quiet and not flashy place that provides for a monthly rental as close to beach areas as possible.

I can’t imagine driving this 43’ rig down south cold calling on various gulf coast campgrounds at the mercy of whatever the Covid has done to the open areas. Would I be better serviced literally driving down in my car and spend a week vetting the various beach location campgrounds? I don’t fancy driving around from site to site hoping that one is just right for a monthly stay and certainly am not reassured by the sparsity of information available on line. It is truly a dilemma given the fact that things are so unsettled at this time.
Take off and never look back. Do some planning up front. Get going, times a wastin.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:59 PM   #4

Pick a centrally located campground, book a few weeks, and drive that thing down here.
From there you can branch out and explore RV parks that you may want to settle in. Lots of open sites this year, with few Canadians.

We arrived in Florida in November and have been to 6 camp grounds so far, with at least 2 more to go.

Beach's are open and safe, and the 2 parks with pools limit capacity, but are open.

As far as social distancing, what will you do on the road, that your not doing at home ?
Occasional meals out, shopping for groceries and supplies, still goes on, just in different states.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 PM   #5

DITTO the first two responses. We traveled a lot in Oct. and Nov. and had no problems finding parking places. We plan to take off again in March. You are safer in your coach in a campground than just about anywhere else. Safer traveling, sleeping and eating.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #6

We do not "campground" often as we prefer to boondock.

The time in our RV has actually increased as out "flying" travel has basically stopped.

We come into contact with way less people when in the "RV life" than we do in the "home life".

We are prepared for even more time out this year.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:09 PM   #7

Pick a location you want to visit, Florida, TX (maybe the RGV) or AZ. Go on campgroundreviews.com for that area and search for campgrounds. Look at the reviews and pictures. Call a few and talk to them and ask what Covid restrictions they have implemented, is the pool open, are the local restaurants open etc. Book a few days or a week at one campground and go. While there drive around and look at the other campgrounds. You can always move at the end of the week if you don’t like the one you are in.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:

IMHO your issue is YOU - we were all served Lemons with Covid - Most of us Have Made some pretty Good Lemonade - - Think about it - Self contained - your Bed - your Bathroom - Wal*Mart will curbside deliver - There are more options than you can imagine. to Camp ........

Get of your BUTT and go - the number of spaces is unbelievable - Kids left Colorado and have spent two months in Florida working Via Zoom - Kids being Home Schooled - They have had O Issues. Now that it's begun to Snow in Colorado, so they are returning to Ski - Travel is easy. Sorry the fear is the issue, not covid
- where ever you are the location is not the problem the way you handle the problem is the issue - Pack Up get on the Road - enjoy this Opportunity!

You Have a Phone use it - Get in the Coach and head South - the fear you have is from inexperience not from Covid - Go - Learn - Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JMHO,

edit note - Last summer almost 20,000 miles driven in Toad and Coach - close to 16 weeks + - on the Road East to West (YNP to Taos) Returned to Maryland then Back to Colorado for the Aspen - best time Ever - Normally not a summer traveler - so it was crowded - but we stayed with our Group and enjoyed the RV
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:26 AM   #9

if you still have the wanderlust,, do your homework, then pack up and go.

What do you enjoy, what do you want to see, and what fits your budget are some of the questions you have probably been pondering during covid.

As many will say, traveling in your self contained home away from home is a great way to start your journey.

Get your vaccination, mask up, wash your hands and socially distance, important steps to take to protect yourself and others.

We are planning our first major excursion in April, chomping at the bit to get going!
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
hoping to find someplace decent to land amongst the virus panicked country or what.
The only virus panic you'll find is in the media. In my travels, amongst the general population and park/CG operators in particular, the consensus is eff the virus. Aside from the more or less enforced mask mandate for some places it's business as usual. Don't let the "science" get you down, gas that sucker up and hit the road.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:48 AM   #11

We traveled as much in 2020 as every other year. Things changed so we adapt. Don't know where on the gulf you want to be but TX is great. We were here https://www.bluewaterrvpark.com/ last spring when the madness started & we'll be back again early March. You can social distance & still get your sunshine & beach on. Like others have suggested make a rez somewhere, stay a while & branch out & explore. Those tires aren't getting any younger
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #12

Thank you

The advice is greatly appreciated, we used to travel by the direction the wind blew unless it was a destination planned. The desire is strong, the momentum was short circuited and all the resultant clutter has made it difficult to get clarity.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:

stuccosteve, yes, if I were you, I'd sell that old rig and just hunker down. Now in full honesty, I said all that cause I'm shopping for a rig JUST LIKE YOURS! So, yes, sell it (to me, ONLY ME) and just hunker down in place.

1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
The only virus panic you'll find is in the media. In my travels, amongst the general population and park/CG operators in particular, the consensus is eff the virus. Aside from the more or less enforced mask mandate for some places it's business as usual. Don't let the "science" get you down, gas that sucker up and hit the road.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
What Mark said, just go! We left Spokane, WA last October and arrived in Melbourne Beach at the end of October and we had NO PROBLEMS anywhere! Just wear your mask, do the 6 foot rule. We've made a few runs down to the keys, and Palm Beach and have no issues whatsoever. People are aware, they wear mask, keep their distance and have always been kind and helpful.

Honestly you won't have any issues. And if something comes up, you'll figure it out, and if you don't, post it here and someone will help you out.

If you're thinking of coming down to Melbourne Beach FL, PM me as I have an RV site that is available from June to October and it's a 2 minute walk to the BEACH, has 3 pools, two tennis courts and the best...SHUFFLEBOARD! HA!

But, also, selling your rig to me is a good option too....
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice