Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #1

Acadia Campgrounds

I am currently planning a trip for June to Acadia. I’m leaning towards camping in the Park and spending a couple days at each campground blackwoods, Schoodic and seawall. Does anyone have any recommendations for how many days at each? I was planning on 5 days at Park but can possibly add a day if needed. Any suggestions?

Also am I better staying inside park or at a commercial campground?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
My wife and I visited Acadia NP and Bar Harbor a few Octobers ago. Beautiful area and really enjoyed exploring the park. Be aware that a couple of low underpasses won't allow you to travel those roads and the way around usually means many miles. Mid-May to Mid-June is Black Fly time. I've encountered them in the Boundry Waters of Minnesota, and in Michigan, but the worst I've ever encountered them was in the Adirondacks in June. They are very small and so you don't feel them on your skin. They secrete an enzyme that dissolves your skin and leaves an open, bleeding hole in your skin. Not fun. We stayed outside the park at Bar Harbor / Oceanside KOA Holiday, one of the few campgrounds open in October. It was a nice location, on the water and not far from Bar Harbor and the Park. We did all our driving in the park in our Toad to prevent low clearances and parking issues.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:22 AM   #3

We stayed at Smugglers Den in Southwest Harbor. Easy access to park. Nice sites and spacious. Went early June. Did both parts of park in the toad. Good trip
TsuSM70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:08 AM   #4

We stay in campgrounds and use toad to navigate the park. As posted above, roads are congested, height restricted, and under construction. If you don't tow, a rental car may be worth it. 5 days should be good. Having been there before we usually stay 3 full days when visiting now.

Acadia/Maine is one of our favorite places to go.

We would recommend Hadley's Point Campground, about $45 a night after Labor Day. Usually when we go to avoid crowds. Hadley's is about the closest campground to downtown Bar Harbor.

Hadley's Point Campground Bar Harbor with wooded campsites and new cabins

If you like lobster, you can't beat Maine for some of the best. There is a local market chain that sells live lobster and will cook them for you for free. $6 per pound.

https://www.hannaford.com/custserv/s...wStoreId=21051
Old 10-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsuSM70 View Post
We stayed at Smugglers Den in Southwest Harbor. Easy access to park. Nice sites and spacious. Went early June. Did both parts of park in the toad. Good trip
How bad are the black flies during early June?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #6

We are currently at Bar Harbor Campground. It’s the closest campground to bar harbor and to the Natl park entrance. It is $47/nt for 50amp full hookup. Pay 6 nights get 7th free. Not a bad deal! It’s large, super quiet and has good amenities. Everything is within a 25min drive including Walmart, Home Depot and all the lobster you can eat. Southwest harbor is 20min away. Schoodic Point is about 45min. It’s a great spot. We’ve been here two weeks. They shut down Columbus Day.

No experience w black flies.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #7

We were there in Mid August and stayed at Mt desert Narrows I liked it. Quiet and they have ocean views also. I would take note of the Black Fly warning, I was warned of the same issue so maybe plan late June.

Tags
campground