RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Acadia Maine SW HARBOR

Anyone stay in the SW HARBOR area. I booked it but having second thoughts about being far from everything?
Cdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
We stayed in the Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA a few years ago in late September. Most every other campground was closed for the season, so we were limited in choices. With the RV parked, we covered all of Arcadia NP, Bar Harbor, and surrounding area in our Toad with no problem. Some routes in Arcadia are limited by low clearances, so plan your route carefully.

You might add details about your RV in your signature, accessed with the "User CP" tab at the top left of the page.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdaddy View Post
Anyone stay in the SW HARBOR area. I booked it but having second thoughts about being far from everything?
Being far from everything in Acadia can be a good thing! You can get to and from the action easily, then the relative solitude when you're back at your RV can be a blessing. If you don't have a toad, there is an Island Explorer shuttle service that extends to SW Harbor.

Island Explorer Southwest Harbor Route
Old 05-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #4

We stayed in South West Harbor for a week a few years ago. It was advertised as the "quiet side" and that it was. The town is quaint with a couple of short and easy hikes close by. Lobsters can be purchased on the docks relatively cheap. We enjoyed our time but found ourselves spending a lot of our time driving to the Bar Harbor/Acadia area, which was about 20 minutes away. Yes, it is crowded. Perhaps that is what we gravitate towards. I don't want to sit under my awning all day relaxing....I can do that in my driveway (not that I ever do, but I suppose the potential is there). We brought our bikes and tried the carriage trails.....for the most part we were not enthralled with them. The highlights for the trip were the hikes.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 AM   #5

I think it matters when you go. We've been to Acadia many times. The one time we went in July we were miserable and vowed never to do it again. The crowds were insane. We generally go as close to the end of August as we can, and it's a little easier to move around, both within the park and in Bar Harbor.

I have not checked out the CGs on the other side yet. We looked at most of the ones near Bar Harbor, to see if there was a better fit, but decided there wasn't anything better there for us than Bar Harbor Campground. We head back up in August. We'll go check out that side. It's always good to have options.
Datura is offline   Reply With Quote