Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Acadia NP 2021 - crowds?

Last summer we moved to the southern New Hampshire area and most of our camping thus far has been at forest service sites near the White Mountains and a small local park near Freeport, Maine. In mid-August we have friends visiting from Florida and we were wondering if we should try going to Acadia NP with them then for a few days? All of us hate crowds and normally visit these types of parks not during the peak season like we are considering now. Reservation wise, Bar Harbor campground is all first-come so we were considering that with an early week arrival. Just wondering if anyone has been to Acadia yet this summer, and if so, how did crowds impact your visit? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #2

You probably already know this, but they just had some rain damage at Acadia:

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...-national-park
Old 07-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #3

Maine RV parks were reporting record reservations for the season back in April, before they even opened for the season.

July and August are also peak camping season in Maine, so they're likely to be even crazier than normal this year. Mid-August is the last "hurrah" before school starts.

I would definitely recommend finding a place that takes reservations - Bar Harbor campground will likely be full those 2 months (and through Labor Day)
spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #4

You might consider Schoodic Woods Campground for Acadia... a little off the beaten path.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=acadia
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are not aware of it, a vehicle pass is required for the Cadillac Mountain road. You have to book that in advance and it's good for a two hour window. I just had to do the same for Rocky Mountain National Park.
https://home.nps.gov/acad/planyourvi...servations.htm
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #6

We just got here ( acadia) a day ago and haven't really been out due to the cold,rainy weather. We did go into Bar Harbor late yesterday afternoon and it was packed. Our neighbors here in the campground have been here for a week and said that the park is absolutely packed. If you don't get there before 10, you won't get a parking place. But, that's pretty much how's is been the last several years. We have been coming here for a month the past 12 years and with the exception of last year, the park is jam packed every year. Last year was really pleasant.... very few people on the trails, easy parking,etc. Rainy day today, so will probably not get into the park..... I'll report back in a few days... hoping the 4th of July parade in Bar Harbor happens ( weather is iffy until Monday) it's a great parade and a lot of fun .

Oh, and lobster prices have gone crazy.... about 50% more than last year. I was talking to a restaurant owner and he said he's reduced his profit margin as he said with the price he's paying , if he was to keep his old margin, he'd scare away all customers, as it is, it's still way too high-- he wasn't happy, nor were we.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
You probably already know this, but they just had some rain damage at Acadia:

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...-national-park
Some of the damage has been repaired, some still underway. You can check the up-to-date status here: https://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

We were just there 2 weeks ago, things looked pretty good. But we don't usually go to the areas worst hit by this storm damage.

BTW, it was crowded. Surprise!

Roger
Old 07-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #8

My last trip to Acadia was 2019.
It was the worse in 11 yrs
Traffic bad, no parking anywhere in the park
We ended up going to the park after 6 pm every day.
Stopped going there after 12 total trips.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #9

Thanks fellow travelers for all the helpful information. We've decided to put this off until late September to avoid "some" of the crowds. We're hoping to do a few days over at Schoodic Woods and then move over to the Bar Harbor area for a bit when we go. Thanks again and safe travels to you all!
Old 07-13-2021, 05:57 AM   #10

We have been hiking and biking in the park the past few days and I[m finding the crowd levels to be somewhat less than 2019. Make no mistake, it's crowded, but some places like Jordon Pond House didn't have a line to wait for popovers... the first time I've ever seen that in the 12 years we've been coming here. Some of the trails had normal occupancy, but some of the more challenging ones were less traveled. The carriage roads seemed to have as many bikes and walkers as ever. Bar Harbor is as crowded as it always is. Our campground is pretty full... a couple spaces here and there that aren't occupied.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:54 AM   #11

Time for an update....how things have changed in a week or so. It is crazy crowded. Worse I've seen in the 12 summers we've spent here. If you don't get out by 8 a.m. you'll have a hard time finding a parking space and will be fighting crowded trails and carriage roads. Impossible to find parking in Bar Harbor. Hour+ waits to get into restaurants. Arghhh !!
Old 07-25-2021, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Time for an update....how things have changed in a week or so. It is crazy crowded. Worse I've seen in the 12 summers we've spent here. If you don't get out by 8 a.m. you'll have a hard time finding a parking space and will be fighting crowded trails and carriage roads. Impossible to find parking in Bar Harbor. Hour+ waits to get into restaurants. Arghhh !!
Yepper, and my usual site at the Narrows Too ( best ocean site #315 ) price has gone from $115/night (2019) to $160/night, plus taxes and resort fees.
I can’t go back, I’ve seen everything 12 times anyway, nothing more to do or see there, ate at al the good eateries too.
Back in 2011 I paid $80/night

We’re going to Nova Scotia next year.

This year we did Glacier, it was excellent with the ticketing system, no crowds, easy parking everywhere. No backups. Everywhere we went there was ample parking, Going to the Sun Road was not crowded. Even on the 4th. Even the Glacier West KOA top site was less than The Narrows Too, it was twice as big, large patio, great furniture, and a great gas grill.
Here was our great site, nothing near Acadia like that, even the KOA isn’t this good.

https://youtu.be/Ba67KQ8FaZE
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:54 AM   #13

We're in Acadia now. Regarding campgrounds in the NP, the southern half of the island is not crowded at all, however, many of the camp sites are closed for some reason leading to difficulty getting a spot. The northern part of the island where Bar Harbor is, is packed. We have not been able to get a spot in Schoodic Woods. As far as the commercial campgrounds go, we've had some difficulty getting a spot and some of the campgrounds are $150+/night.
Danny969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #14

Wow,
We’re reserved at Blackwoods on 8/20. After Acadia stay, Really wanted to cross to NB, but the 72 hour pre-entry molecular Covid test may make that impossible. Anybody know where to get tested and get results within 72 hours?