Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #1

Aguirre Springs, New Mexico

Looking for some information on Aguirre Springs in New Mexico, we're in Bottomless Lake State park right now and thinking of heading to Aguirre to visit White Sands. We have a 33ft 5th wheel, does anyone know if you can get in when this size rig?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStafford View Post
Looking for some information on Aguirre Springs in New Mexico, we're in Bottomless Lake State park right now and thinking of heading to Aguirre to visit White Sands. We have a 33ft 5th wheel, does anyone know if you can get in when this size rig?
Thanks

I can't answer your question but I will mention that a lot of high country
camping is available in and around the Lincoln National Forest at Cloudcroft NM much closer to White Sands than Aquirre Springs plus it is
a drop dead gorgeous area. The 16 mile drive between Cloudcroft and Alamogordo with a near one mile elevation change is one of the most spectacular in the country.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Right on

MADRONE is right on...if you are ever in that area for cherry picking, stop and pick.
Take the VIEW from the REST AREA in...

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I live in Las Cruces. I would not advise on taking your rig in there. When I was driving a school bus I made the trip about 5 times in a 37 ft bus. Turns are very sharp. I would be on the outside edge with the front tire and the dully would be on the opposite edge.

I like Boot Hill RV Park in Almogordo. Easy to get to White Sands Monument and Cloudcroft.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
paz

Cloud Croft could be quite cool this time of year. We were there in May, and the temperature dropped from 82 degrees in Alamogordo to the 40s in Cloud Croft when we drove up there for the day.

I recommend Oliver Lee State Park outside Alamogordo. Nice big sites with great views of the valley. Not too far from White Sands. Adjacent to the camping area is a garden with desert plants and cacti that were in bloom in May.

Also, visit the Eagle Ranch Pistachio Grove in Alamogordo. Interesting tour and the best pistachios we've ever eaten.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
You guys seem to know a lot about NM, what about the Albuquerque and Santa Fe area for campgrounds. We are leaving green Tennessee April 28 to NM,AZ, UTAH.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
You guys seem to know a lot about NM, what about the Albuquerque and Santa Fe area for campgrounds. We are leaving green Tennessee April 28 to NM,AZ, UTAH.
Don't have any specific recommdations for that area, but depending on the kind of campers you are and the amount of time you plan to spend in New Mexico be sure to check out the State Park system and the available
annual camping pass, it is one of the best bargains around.

New Mexico State Parks

Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, I am in a 40' MH, I have looked at the state parks but could not find a camping place for a MH. I guess I am spoiled I want all hook ups.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I looked at the NM site, registered but never could get the site to give me the available RV spots, it loaded but never came up. Even when I registered it never confirmed I had register but when I tried to log in I was successful. I am not very computer savvy.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #10

On our trip about two years ago, we spent several nights at a campground near Santa Fe. The name of the CG is Rancheros De Santa Fe. Rancheros de Santa Fe Camground. The sites are mostly gravel and dirt but are well kept. The staff is real friendly and they have a store with convience and tourist items. Prices are reasonable. Check the website for curent site rates. They have about 100 sites with about 50 full hook ups. The park is open from March to November. Easy acess to Santa Fe. The park is about ten miles east. We enjoyed the stay very much.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I got a place at Timberton, I think it is actually in the park.

Circle Cross RV Park
1228 Sacramento River RdTimberon NM, 88350

I will give a report as soon as we leave, we are really excited about going to New Mexico, we will be there for several days. I have even gone online to found a church for that Sunday
Old 04-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
I got a place at Timberton, I think it is actually in the park.

Circle Cross RV Park
1228 Sacramento River RdTimberon NM, 88350

I will give a report as soon as we leave, we are really excited about going to New Mexico, we will be there for several days. I have even gone online to found a church for that Sunday
That is a very nice relatively new RV Park in Timberon, It is probably inside the Lincoln National Forest not a park. Timberon is an unusual small
town that takes up a gigantic amount of space. For a large RV it is also an
"end of the road" location with no real choice but to go back the way you came, the upside being that it is a stunningly beautiful drive. I live about 30 miles away in Cloudcroft from the 4th of July until Halloween, the best time of the year in the southern Sacramentos IMO. I don't like the spring because of the dust and the extreme fire danger.