Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #1

America The Beautiful pass: Expiration Date

Hello everyone,
To those who buy the "America The Beautiful" pass, does it carry an expiry date that runs one year after the date of purchase or does it go from January to December of the year it was issued?
Thanks,

Maurice
fallbeachlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 01:10 PM   #2

Mine expires a year from the month of purchase.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #3

Annual Pass Use
When does an Annual Pass expire?
Whether you buy the pass for yourself, or as a gift, the Annual Pass is valid for 12 months from the month of purchase, expiring the last day of that month.

Can any two people sign an Annual Pass?
Yes. The two pass owners do not have to be related or married.

Who is admitted with an Annual Pass?
Each Annual Pass admits pass owner/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas; and pass owner + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, where per-person fees are charged. (Children under 16 are always admitted free).

Note: Photo identification will be requested to verify pass ownership.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
FAQ Link on website
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife and I each have the "America the Beautiful" lifetime senior pass. $80 plus a $10 processing fee, ordered online. For age 62 and up; well worth the cost. My wife and I got ours a few years ago when it cost us $10 each card. Only one card necessary, but we each got one so that either of us could make a reservation for an RV site in the park system. Reduced rates for camping and RV sites, park entrance is free.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
+2 on the senior pass we bought it $20. In 2017 they raised the fee to $80.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #6

Also remember that veterans now get free lifetime admission to National Parks. Best/easiest way to prove veteran status is with a state issued veteran drivers license, which most if not all states now issue.

The National Park Service in partnership with Operation Live Well would like to thank military personnel and their families for their service and invite them to enjoy their national parks.

Beginning on Veterans Day, November 11, 2020, Gold Star Families and U.S. military veterans receive free access to more than 2,000 federal recreation areas, including national parks, wildlife refuges and forests. The free access program is a way to thank America’s veterans and Gold Star families for their support of our country and to encourage them to explore recreational opportunities on their public lands and waters.

Link to entire page with FAQ's https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/ve...ree-access.htm

The age 62 and up senior pass will Usually get you a 50% discount on camping, however if power or other amenities are priced separately the discount only applies to the basic campsite fee. Campgrounds managed by contractors may or may not honor the discount. If you want to save the $10 handling fee, you can buy the passes at quite a few locations, it might make for a pleasant ride. I got up on the morning of my birthday in 2017 and headed out from the house to get mine, knowing that sometime that year, and no one knew when, the price would increase (finally occured on Aug 28)

45 page list of locations where passes can be purchased in person. Broken down alphabetically within each state.

https://store.usgs.gov/s3fs-public/PassIssuanceList.pdf

Charles
Old 02-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #7

We were fortunate to get our passes for $10.00 each. Went up to $80.00 a couple of years after we got ours.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #8

To maximize use buy it as you drive into the park, Then you get a year from the date of first use. Sometimes you can get a card from REI and they don't punch it (hole on the month that it expires). I have done that once. Be careful if you buy the card at REI or someplace like that, the first time I got a card it was from them and they gave me the wrong year. When I went to the park in April, the best they could do was punch it to expire in December. If you buy a card today, It should expire Feb 2022.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #9

Thank you everyone. I understand then that the best strategy is to purchase it when I visit one of the sites that's covered.

Maurice
fallbeachlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Also remember that veterans now get free lifetime admission to National Parks. Best/easiest way to prove veteran status is with a state issued veteran drivers license, which most if not all states now issue.

The National Park Service in partnership with Operation Live Well would like to thank military personnel and their families for their service and invite them to enjoy their national parks.

Beginning on Veterans Day, November 11, 2020, Gold Star Families and U.S. military veterans receive free access to more than 2,000 federal recreation areas, including national parks, wildlife refuges and forests. The free access program is a way to thank America’s veterans and Gold Star families for their support of our country and to encourage them to explore recreational opportunities on their public lands and waters.

Link to entire page with FAQ's https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/ve...ree-access.htm

The age 62 and up senior pass will Usually get you a 50% discount on camping, however if power or other amenities are priced separately the discount only applies to the basic campsite fee. Campgrounds managed by contractors may or may not honor the discount. If you want to save the $10 handling fee, you can buy the passes at quite a few locations, it might make for a pleasant ride. I got up on the morning of my birthday in 2017 and headed out from the house to get mine, knowing that sometime that year, and no one knew when, the price would increase (finally occured on Aug 28)

45 page list of locations where passes can be purchased in person. Broken down alphabetically within each state.

https://store.usgs.gov/s3fs-public/PassIssuanceList.pdf

Charles
thank you. I had not realized they passed this in the last year for free access. But do they get the 1/2 price camping like the senior pass or the disable veterans pass???
Old 02-06-2021, 09:08 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I know disable vets get a free lifetime pass. I picked up one 2 years ago. I had to prove I was a disable vet. They accepted my VA Card that is coded as a disabled vet. Heard nothen about all vets getting free lifetime cards??
I think you are correct. I have the lifetime pass as well as a VA disability so I'm double covered.

The nice thing is it covers the fee for your vehicle as well as for all the occupants of your car. I have save a lot of money with it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
thank you. I had not realized they passed this in the last year for free access. But do they get the 1/2 price camping like the senior pass or the disable veterans pass???
No, as the link shows, it is only for admission to the park, which in many cases, can save you $20 per park, or more.

"The program does not cover expanded amenity fees such as camping, tours, special recreation permits, or organized groups or concession-operated facilities or activities"

For example, Rushmore is free, parking is $10 and concession operated so you pay the $10 (good for one year), however, the Badlands is $20, Gulf Islands National Seashore, Ft Pickens, is $20, etc.

AT RUSHMORE, BE SURE AND TELL THE PARKING ATTENDANT YOU ARE A SENIOR, THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE PARKING PASS FOR $5.

My camping buddy and his wife are younger than I am, about 55, but he is a veteran and has a veteran tag and drivers license, so he no longer has to buy the annual America The Beautiful pass. When he or his wife reach 62, then they can buy an $80 Lifetime Senior pass and get the camping discount.

Also note, this is NOT a pass, it is simply free admission. As a vet, or Gold Star family member, you don't get a card, you merely have to show you are eligible, such as the Vet drivers license.

Charles
Old 02-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know Joyce and I have gone to many of the national parks monuments and some presidential libraries. We enjoyed the free admission and most cases parking.

The 1/2 price camping is nice. But the parks and forest's will give you the CS at 1/2 price, but charge you there published rate for electric, water and sewer. So if a full service site is $36 they you might get the site for $28 or 30.