Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 11:35 PM   #1

Another Arizona OHV trip report: Harquahala Mountain

Here is another OHV-centric trip report from Arizona. I actually did this short trip last March. This is another place that doesn't get much publicity, and I didn't find any threads about it in iRV2. It even took me a few minutes of practice to learn how to pronounce it. This is the Harquahala Mountain Byway.

This site combines 3 of my interests: History, science and OHV. The summit of Harquahala mountain was used by the Smithsonian Institute as a solar observatory from 1920 to 1925. I'll post some photos of story boards from the site, that will explain it better than I can:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 11:48 PM   #2

Harquahala Mountain is about 40 miles west of Phx on I-10. Take the Salome Road exit and head northwest for 9 miles, then go straight north on Eagle Eye Road for another 9 miles. This is all paved. The Harquahala Mtn staging area is on the west side of Eagle Eye Road. This staging area is not very level and is a little too rocky for my taste, so I set up my camp 2.4 miles south of here in a flat graveled area on the east side of Eagle Eye Road. It looks like a county roads department lot for storing gravel. But it was flat and roomy, with one other motorhome parked there. Here is a photo of my campsite with Harquahala mtn in the background:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a map of the area:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are a couple photos of the start of the Byway, lots of spring flowers:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-20-2018, 12:02 AM   #3

It is about 6 miles to the summit, and the last couple miles are quite steep and rough. You will want to make sure your off-road vehicle is in good shape before starting up this road. And you are climbing over 3,000 feet so bring some warm clothes for the summit. Here are some photos from the summit, the first one showing the actual observatory building. It's hard to believe people lived up there for 5 years, and the only way up or down was by foot or burro.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #4

Here is a shot of me enjoying a late afternoon adult beverage on my deck after safely making it down the trail, with Harquahala Mtn in the background. I am not a climatologist, but I don't believe the Smithsonian gained much useful science from studying the "solar constant" for 5 years up there.

[IMG][/IMG]

That dark night before bedtime, I was out on my deck brushing my teeth "boondock-style" when I heard some grunting and growling animal sounds not too far away. Of course my mind goes to thoughts of a cougar or bear, so I quickly retreated to the moho and locked the doors. The next morning I arose and carefully looked around from my deck, and I spotted the source of my earlier fearful thoughts:

[IMG][/IMG]

Who knows, he may be a descendant of a pack animal that worked for the Smithsonian Institute in 1920.

So if you are visiting central AZ, and want to test your off-road vehicle, give the Harquahala Mountain Byway consideration. And I think the lot I camped in would be a decent free campground for a few days. There are also other roads north of there off of Eagle Eye Rd that look interesting to me on GoogleEarth, so I'll get back there sometime. Just be aware of wildlife making scary sounds in the dark
Old 01-20-2018, 01:20 AM   #5

Nice report - thanks!
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #6

Not far from either Quartzite or my brother in Apache Junction. I will have to remember this one.

Do I need an ATV to get to the top or will my F350 4x4 work?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the write-up, I have never been there. Looks remote, just right.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #8

Thanks, fellas.

PopB, I saw some Jeeps on the road. There is a solar power array up there and some modern structures that need periodic maintenance, so they must take large pickups up there. The road gets quite narrow towards the top, so you will have to be aware of any oncoming vehicles.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #9

Great Job!! Thanks!!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was told that they resupply with helicopters. I was up there today ,good tip thank you

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona