Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Any electricity-only parks? Central water and/or dump ok too.

Hi all!

I have a 39' class A DP. I'm looking for inexpensive parks that have at least 30A, preferably 50A, service. I don't need water or dump at my site, I'm great with conserving water so can wait 7-10 days to replenish and dump. And yes, I shower daily but treat it like a camp shower

I do need electricity because it's still hot out. I can get away with running only 1 roof ac if need be. I have 2 cats so it needs to stay cool or tolerable the whole time, and I don't want to burn through diesel.

Any parks out there that you've seen that fit the bill? Currently in Texas in the Houston and Victoria areas (wrapping up 2 weeks of hurricane volunteering), but will be making my way west and possibly northwest in a week or so.

Thanks!!
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Many / most county, state and federal parks have only elect with water and dump station elsewhere in the park. The problem in most of those parks charge as much as FHU parks.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Army Corps of Engineers parks would likely have what you need. Inexpensive, usually near a body of water, river, lake dam, etc. Sites are large generally.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #4

If you use the all stays app pull up some of the small towns in Texas (i.e. Hamlin or Dumas) and you'll see a CP-city park. Some are free, some cheap and most will meet your criteria. Childress has one and many others that I can't recall now.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #5

Location, location, location, as the real estate agent says. what part of the county are you asking about?

Indeed, many Corp of Engineer parks have electricity at the site, and water elsewhere, also many Forest service parks. It varies all over the map.

South Dakota, Chamberlain/Ft Thompson, Left Tailrace Campground, COE. Wonderful place to spend several days if you got the time and like to fish or just sit and watch the world go by. Its in the MIDDLE of the Missouri River, the sites are level and have power, great showers and restrooms and its $16 a nite, $8 with the senior pass. Word to the wise however, take exit 248 at Reliance, SD, and go north on state 47 to get there. I went thru Chamberlain and up and around to Ft. Thompson and while the ride was scenic, the up and down of it was crazy.

Charles
Old 09-16-2017, 06:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Army Corps of Engineers parks would likely have what you need. Inexpensive, usually near a body of water, river, lake dam, etc. Sites are large generally.
X2
And if a Sr Citizen you get the Fed card that gets you 50% off.
You will gave to pay the new $80 card fee as it went up from the $10 as of Sept 1st
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #7

On the new federal pass you can also pay $20 for an annual pass and after the 4th one they give you the lifetime one. At least the way it is written now-subject to the whims of our legislators. I'm not sure all COE parks honor it though.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #8

I will agree with what has been said, check out various public campgrounds, city and county parks, even some state parks, COE camp grounds, and possible some national forest campgrounds. It seems in my experience that most of these have water and electric hookup and central dump station, though I have seen at least 1 that was electric only with limited water hookup and dump station. Given that the cost of running sewer lines to each site is much higher than the cost of running water or electricity it makes a certain degree of sense that you will typically see water and electric hook ups with a central dump station. I stayed at several of these sorts of places on my recent loop from Louisiana to Yellowstone and back, typical nightly cost was $15 per night or so. Some were donation only with a "suggested" donation amount, a few that I researched, but did not stop at were free for the first night. I am of the opinion that $15 per night is a lot cheaper than what it would cost me to run my generator, particularly once you consider wear, oil change, etc.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #9

Goliad Tx has a state park. Heard it's nice, it's on my to do list. Generally state parks are reasonably price, and if you buy a park pass it will pay for it self after a few stays.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #10

If you make it to GA, there are several Corp parks in the lakes that are electrical & water only. The dump stations are not level, though, which always gives me heartburn.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
... I am of the opinion that $15 per night is a lot cheaper than what it would cost me to run my generator, particularly once you consider wear, oil change, etc.
Yes!! My cutoff is $20/night. More than that, and boondocking becomes an option IMO.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Look at weekly or monthly rates, at your $20 a night you are in the ball park for full hookup except for high end resorts. Just watch the ones that charge extra for power as this can cause over run in your price.

LEN
Old 09-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
Hi all!

I have a 39' class A DP. I'm looking for inexpensive parks that have at least 30A, preferably 50A, service. I don't need water or dump at my site, I'm great with conserving water so can wait 7-10 days to replenish and dump. And yes, I shower daily but treat it like a camp shower

I do need electricity because it's still hot out. I can get away with running only 1 roof ac if need be. I have 2 cats so it needs to stay cool or tolerable the whole time, and I don't want to burn through diesel.

Any parks out there that you've seen that fit the bill? Currently in Texas in the Houston and Victoria areas (wrapping up 2 weeks of hurricane volunteering), but will be making my way west and possibly northwest in a week or so.

Thanks!!
Just about every Texas State park i've been to have the same set up. I can think of a couple that offer only a parking spot, but the majority have at least 30amp and water at the campsites. Some offer sites with water only but i don't remember ever coming across any that have the opposite (elect but no water). The good thing is that even with the hookups, they're usually not very expensive. I think they may have a lower weekly rate as well.

Just be sure to buy the state park's pass if state parks become your go to parks. Doesn't take long for it to pay for itself.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Currently, I won't be spending more than 4 or 5 days at any 1 location. Once my house sells, I will be able to stop for long periods of time. But right now I'm on a shorter trip. So I cannot take advantage of weekly ir monthly rates.

Also, I'm only 48. I don't qualify for a senior rate.

Thanks!

Tags
electric, water