Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Anyone done fort wilderness, Disney?

Anyone stay at Fort Wilderness in Disney? Was it "Disney caliber"? How do you get into the parks from the rv area - thanks!
Capecodx20e is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We had our family reunions there for 20 years. Top knotch for sure and they provide transport via boat or monarail to the Magic Kingdom. It's been years but some of my greatest memories were of Fort Wilderness and knowing Disney, it's just as nice.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecodx20e View Post
Anyone stay at Fort Wilderness in Disney? Was it "Disney caliber"? How do you get into the parks from the rv area - thanks!
Very nice but pricey park. If you're planning on going to Disney World then Ft. Wilderness is the best place to stay (IMHO). While there you may wanto consider renting a golf cart for "in park" transportation. As Decodancer said free monorail or free boat to get to the Magic Kingdom.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #4

You might want to checkout this link..this is where all the Disney Campers hangout....we went last year and enjoyed it, going back this summer !!

Camping at Disney World - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com
DEWSOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Capecodx20e,
If you have kids and never done FW the is should be on your list of things to do. The monorail does not go to FW. Transport is by DW buss or boat. If you go, consider getting reservations for the evening dinner/show at the Hoop-De-Do Review inside FW.

As empty nester's, to pay FW's price I need to be going to the parks for several days. Being at FW saves on the parking fee ($15 I think). If I am going to DW only one day out of the entire stay, I'll stay at Tropical Palms.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
This may or may not be helpful because it was so long ago. But when I hear Fort Wilderness, I immediately think of early 70's, and how I loved that water park they had. I can remember my mom saying how I could have just stayed in that water park, and I would have been happy. Probably true, but I'm glad I didn't miss the Magic Kingdom. But I did love that water park, I'm sure it was the first park of that type I ever saw. I would have been about 12 years old at the time. When I was able to go there, I did not leave until I absolutely had to.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #7

Thanks everyone!!!
Capecodx20e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The monorail does not go anywhere near Ft Wilderness. You can take a boat to the Magic Kingdom, or a bus to virtually anywhere else on the Disney property.

The water park eluded to is the old River Country. It's been gone for a long time. We were lucky enough to have been able to enjoy it on our first trip to Disney World, sometime in the early 80s.

Yes, it is Disney, and far and away our favorite of the Disney resorts. I do think it's lost some of the 'magic' over the years. Some of the theming has been slowly disappearing, like the 'tree stump' trash cans, in favor of recycling centers, and a fairly recent attempt to eliminate non-native vegetation has opened up the space between the sites quite a bit. I also preferred the old internal trams to the city busses now used. We find the golf carts to be annoying (and they're very expensive to rent). Many feel the rules of the road (or the few imposed by Disney for their use) don't apply to them and I don't find the large golf cart parking lots down by the settlement area at all attractive. We never did get to see or ride the train, it was long gone even before our first visit.

Its far and away the best place for kids. Besides the usual swimming pool, there's the evening campfire with Chip and Dale, followed by a Disney movie shown on an outdoor screen. You can rent a canoe, ride your bikes (or rent them), rent a boat and tour the lakes, visit the petting zoo or just veg in one of the nicest campgrounds you'll ever visit.

It is expensive, but you can 'economize' a bit by choosing to go during one of their 'slow' seasons. I guarantee you'll love it though.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We stayed at Ft Wilderness during Christmas 2009. Outstanding ! Quite a trip from here in California. Golf cart rentals were $60 a day, kinda pricey. Most everyone brings their own. Very big campsites. A shuttle takes you to the boat marina for a trip to 'DisneyWorld'. Going to Disneyland this June. Cost of fuel has had a negative impact.
*scooter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #10

Just did the Campground in November 2010, well worth it! Beautiful and clean, no bugs. Didn't feel the need for a golf cart but we spent all of our time at the parks, only returning to the camper to sleep. Bus and boat transportation was very easy. They have buses that run just in the campground (if I remember correctly yellow, purple, and orange routes) and a stop right next to the main lodge where you get buses to other parks / resorts. The boats go to the Magic Kingdom and some resorts but from there you can hop the Monorail to other places. Disney makes a point of making it easy to get from one place to the other. Enjoy!
Rschwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #11

to answer your question,it's not really "Disney Caliber"as you asked,it is nice & I think its a nice experience,but,if you've ever stayed at the Grand Floridian you had Disney Caliber,remember your camping at FW,bring your towel to the pool,there not supplied,basically your paying Value resort price but doing all the work yourself,their not going to make your bed while your at the parks
rickyrockett is offline   Reply With Quote