Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #1

Anyone know a nice lakefront campground on Sam Rayburn reservoir in TX?

My wife and I happened to be up near the Sam Rayburn Reservoir (lake) in east Texas a few weeks ago, and drove by in the car to take a look at it. It's a beautiful lake. In poking around on the 'net I see little if any nice lakefront parks or campgrounds that can handle our 43 footer with a Jeep Liberty in tow. Hard to believe such a beautiful lake seems to have such limited campground choices. I'm thinking I'm missing something. Have any of you been up there and stayed somewhere nice? The wife likes to be lakefront, any ideas anyone?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #2

I can't make any specific suggestions, but will ask around locally (I am about 65 miles away from the Sam Rayburn dam). I do know there are a lot of COE campgrounds around the lake some I think have nearly 100 RV sites. Also I think the KOA there is fairly new, but know nothing about it. In general the east side of the lake is far more developed than the west side, which is a lot of national forest land.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #3

Thanks for that info. The KOA seems like a nice place, but like all that I have fouond it's back away from the lake. We're not fishermen or kayakers, we like to relax lakeside with an adumt beverage, enjoy the view, perhaps go for a float or a swim. For us, there's no sense in heading up to the lake if we can't even see the lake from our site. It's very strange up on that lake, I can't find any parks that'll handle our rig at 43' with full hookups that's actually ON the lake.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:35 PM   #4

There are many, many big sites and many COE campgrounds right on the lake.

Here is one:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232698

https://www.recreation.gov/search?q=...y_type=recarea

Here's another site that may help:

https://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/sa...corpsparks.asp
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:28 PM   #5

Thanks for that, twogypsies!
We did see those places, unfortunately none of them have full hookups. If there's no sewer, which none of those places offer, my wife won't go. She's not willing to start rationing her water use to match to waste capacity. With her it's not negotiable. She either gets water, sewer and 50 amp, or she's not leaving home.

Honestly, I have little interest in dealing with that either. It's a hassle I really don't want to deal with, especially knowing how unhappy it makes her. My hat is off to those who enjoy boondocking or dealing with only partial hookup limitations. That's just not something we're interested in.

I guess Sam Rayburn is just not in the cards for us.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:22 AM   #6

It really is not that much of a hassle, particularly for a weekend trip, We have 40 gallon gray and 40 gallon black tank, which can easily last us for a weekend with no real water conservation efforts.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:43 AM   #7

We stayed at the state park there in our 43 ft 5th wheel for a long weekend. Electric & water only. Very nice park.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #8

Rayburn Park. Beautiful COE on the water. Not full hookups but the facilities are very clean and private. If just for a few days, your coach should handle any water/waste issues. Any of the middle sites will accommodate your rig and are pull through with 50 amp. Stayed there many times and the hosts are excellent.
Magua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Thanks for that, twogypsies!
We did see those places, unfortunately none of them have full hookups. If there's no sewer, which none of those places offer, my wife won't go. She's not willing to start rationing her water use to match to waste capacity. With her it's not negotiable. She either gets water, sewer and 50 amp, or she's not leaving home.

Honestly, I have little interest in dealing with that either. It's a hassle I really don't want to deal with, especially knowing how unhappy it makes her. My hat is off to those who enjoy boondocking or dealing with only partial hookup limitations. That's just not something we're interested in.

I guess Sam Rayburn is just not in the cards for us.
With our 40' Newmar we could last 2 weeks with our water. You miss out on some wonderful places if you need full hookups all the time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #10

Twin Dikes COE park has a few full hookups. One site has 50 amp. The others have 30 amp.
MBF Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground