RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Anyone stayed at Ponderosa Campground

We are planning our western trip. We want to tour the Payson Az. area especially the Mogollon Rim for 3 or 4 days. We found this campground (Ponderosa) in Tonto National Forest, wondering if anyone has stayed here?

mlh2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #2

while i have not been to it myself it looks to be typical for several similar sites along the rim. you may also want to look at woods canyon or canyon point. all of these places get heavy use during the season. there's not a whole lot of touristy things to see in payson itself but there some museums and the zane grey cabin in green valley park. many hiking / off roading trails throughout the forest. the goal is to enjoy yourself. depending upon when you visit the rodeo my be in operation.

bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #3

Thanks bigchick. We'll be passing through this area in mid May on our way on westward. We thought we might stop in this area and use Ponderosa as our base camp for a few days while we tour the area.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #4

Peak Season begins April 16. You may want to make your reservation....now.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Peak Season begins April 16. You may want to make your reservation....now.
Made reservations today at Ponderosa. Thanks
Old 01-20-2020, 06:25 AM   #6

great, i hope you enjoy yourself! where are you coming from and where are you going 'out west'? let me know if i can answer any questions you might have. may is a lovely time in this area.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
great, i hope you enjoy yourself! where are you coming from and where are you going 'out west'? let me know if i can answer any questions you might have. may is a lovely time in this area.
Thanks bigchick.Well we live in Fla., and will be doing a cross country trip. Planning on leaving home in mid April and returning mid to late June. This will be our 3rd cross country and we want to go back to some of our favorite National Parks and spend some time there Sequoia/ Kings Canyon,Yosemite and of course the Grand Canyon. Also we want to explore Az. a bit further we haven't been to the southern part. yet.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #8

it's kind of funny. we just made reservations today for a trip we will be taking in may to the tombstone area. we want to explore southeast arizona.

i'm making some assumptions here but my guess is you will be taking i-10 to southern AZ. to get to payson (ponderosa) from there you can take i-10 to AZ 60 to AZ 101 to AZ 202 to AZ 87. once you're on AZ-87 going north just stay on it until you reach AZ-260 in payson. turn east on AZ 260 until ponderosa. there is also a route from i-10 in tucson through the oro valley to florence to apache junction to az-87. AZ-87 is a fully 4 lane divided hwy with a few up and down grades. every type of rv ever made uses that road daily. AZ 260 east of payson to ponderosa is a combination of 4 lane divided hwy and 2 lane road.

then i am assuming you will be going from ponderosa to the grand canyon. the best route is AZ-260 west back to the intersection with AZ-87. take it north up through pine and strawberrry and then you will climb and go up on top of the rim. stay on AZ-87 past the intersection with AZ-260 west (to camp verde) until you reach clint's well. then take the lake mary road and it will take you to I-40 in flagstaff. AZ 87 north of payson and lake mary road are both 2 lane roads. take i-40 west to williams which is the turnoff to the grand canyon (south rim). or there is a route that goes through flagstaff and exits flagstaff to the northwest to get to the grand canyon (south rim).

enjoy!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

Yes we will mostly be traveling I-10 to AZ. As for the Grand Canyon we will be visiting the north side on our return trip since we have already done the south side. Tombstone is also on our must see list as we will be in the area.Thanks for the advice, always good to here from those who know the area, and in your case who live in the area we plan to visit.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
Yes we will mostly be traveling I-10 to AZ. As for the Grand Canyon we will be visiting the north side on our return trip since we have already done the south side. Tombstone is also on our must see list as we will be in the area.Thanks for the advice, always good to here from those who know the area, and in your case who live in the area we plan to visit.
If going to Tombstone be sure to check out Kartchner Caverns State Park not too far away. It has a very nice campground and the cavern tours are awesome. (we gave them) The cave is a fairly new discovery and it's a 'wet' cave, meaning it's still growing as opposed to Carlsbad Caverns which is a dry cave. The wetness means the lovely formations will be dripping (you won't get wet) and you'll hear the dripping noise which is neat. Also nearby is the Bisbee Mine Tour which is great. You don a yellow slicker, mine hard hat w/light and get on a mine car for your tour which is given by retired miners. Very informative.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If going to Tombstone be sure to check out Kartchner Caverns State Park not too far away. It has a very nice campground and the cavern tours are awesome. (we gave them) The cave is a fairly new discovery and it's a 'wet' cave, meaning it's still growing as opposed to Carlsbad Caverns which is a dry cave. The wetness means the lovely formations will be dripping (you won't get wet) and you'll hear the dripping noise which is neat. Also nearby is the Bisbee Mine Tour which is great. You don a yellow slicker, mine hard hat w/light and get on a mine car for your tour which is given by retired miners. Very informative.
Thanks twogypsies, we have 6 nights reserved at KCSP to visit the sites and a day or 2 of just relaxing around the mh before moving on. I can't wait for the mine tour high on my list
Old 01-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #12

thanks twogypsies! we have both places on our list! plus sierra vista. plus i want to go a bit east to the chiricahua area and see some of the monuments. we have been in arizona for 4 years and i have read quite a bit of arizona history including a couple of books on the apache wars and the westward railroad expansion. that whole period of history just absolutely fascinates me. after tombstone we have friends with a place in safford and we are going up there and i want to see the mines!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Some suggestions. After your visit to Ponderosa, I would take US60 west to I-10 and then take I-17 north towards Flagstaff with a detour on AZ179 to Sedona. Then enjoy Oak Creek Canyon and the Sedona area. From there proceed up I-17 to Flagstaff and I-40 across to Williams and the Grand Canyon area.

Also, while in southern AZ I would recommend a visit to the Arizona-Sonoran Desert museum just west of Tucson. It's one of the best zoo/natural history museums in the country.
https://www.desertmuseum.org/
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #14

if you wanted to get to sedona from ponderosa campground take AZ-260 west to camp verde to i-17 to AZ-179. if you wanted to get to flagstaff take AZ-89 north to lake mary road to flagstaff.

it would be a bit of backtracking to get to US 60 at globe to i-10 to i-17.

if you are going to the grand canyon north rim consider a stop in page, AZ to see lake powell.

Tags
campground