Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
You really believe these prices are the result of gouging?

Nick
2014 Allegro Redl
Capitalism at its finest if you are an oil company. At its worst if you are consumer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2022, 12:01 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Suggest you do some research as to what happens when you print trillions of dollars and flood the market.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Capitalism at its finest if you are an oil company. At its worst if you are consumer.
Works well for the consumer, too. If you can make good money pumping out and processing oil, then more people are going to get into it, and we'll all have more energy. If oil companies have to operate at a low profit, there'll be no interest in doing more of it. These temporary high prices are, as we type, convincing people to get out there and produce more.

If someone is telling you we need to limit prices, you know that what they really want is to limit the production.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 12:34 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
We’ll said! Just think, we were energy independent just a few months ago!
traveler of california is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #19

The price of gas is certainly a consideration but more pressing is the availability of fuel. We are delaying a long trip, originally planned for the end of this month, until we can determine if we are going to see another shortage of fuel similar to what we saw in the 70's. We have shifted to shorter trips for the next couple of months but have not canceled our longer trips planned for the fall, hopefully by then we will know how supply issues have been addressed.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #20

Spartan Chassis
Purduejay10@gmail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushux View Post
Was thinking about this last night. We have a 2 week summer trip planned going up central California, Oregon, and Washington and then back down the coast. Roughly 3,000 miles. Gas for the trip will be well over $1,600-$2,000 alone. Has me thinking to change plans a little bit. Maybe choose a base camp with less travel and spend 2 weeks exploring that area. Maybe Colorado or Montana for off road trails and fishing. Something with less day to day travel. What do you think? Have you adjusted your plans or just chalked it up to traveling can be expensive?
Stevens10 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #21

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens10 View Post
Purduejay10@gmail
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Do you realize how childish your comment sounds in relation to the subject?
Purduejay10@gmail5
Stevens10 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 01:15 PM   #22

Planning a roughly 7,000 mile trip starting next month (April 2022). Figure I'll burn about 600 gallons of diesel (Sprinter chassis towing a Jeep). Will be traveling about 3 months, so 200 gallons per month. At "normal" price of roughly $3-$4 per gallon, that's $600-$800 per month. At double the prices, that's $1200-$1600 per month. Other costs of travel (campground fees, various admission fees, etc. - I don't count groceries as I buy them whether I'm at home or on the road so no extra spending there) come to about $100 per day usually, maybe a little more now with the recent inflation. So the extra for fuel at my projected worst case of $8.00/gallon will be about $2400 or an extra $27 per day for a 90 day trip. I consider that low enough that it won't alter my travel plans in the least.
johninsd is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #23

My summer trip to Yellowstone will use about 630 gallons of diesel at 7 mpg avg mileage.
That’s what I averaged to Glacier last year.
So every dollar up or down is $630
I budgeted $4.00 a gallon last summer assuming the worse case,
Haa, I was wrong.
Still going everywhere this yr.
We have about 100 days in the RV this year.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 01:56 PM   #24

One upside (if there is such a thing with fuel prices like this) is campsites might be easier to get on short or no notice. We have a B.C. to Quebec (and back) trip planned in about 10 weeks that will take us about 7 to 10 weeks. We kinda like travelling without a schedule. We usually travel a couple hours a day and get a hike in on the day we arrive. Might be easier to arrive un announced if less people are travelling.

The other thing is people might be travelling a little slower on the roads.

Anyway. Stay safe on the road all. You can’t take it with you. .
radar is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #25

We have a 4200 mile trip planned for fall that I am considering cancelling. Adding 2,000 to the fuel bill makes the trip much less appealing. Sure we have an expensive toy, but there certainly are limits, at least for us.
blang311 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 04:57 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are planning a 2.2K trip at mid April until early may. I'm not concern about availability. We produce more oil then we use here in the USA. Now we have contracts to export much of our production and then we have contracts to import much. 1% or less of the oil we import is from Russia.

I think the high prices will slow down a lot of people's driving. We are already hearing of people planning to cancel trips. With the higher prices many family are going to have less funds and not go out as much, drive the midget car vs the PU saving on oil.

It's just the old supply and demand curve. Prices go up demand decreases. So I'm not looking for any shortage with stations running out of gas like we had in the early 70's. But the oil commodity market and some of our politicians are going to preach the tanks are drying up. Fear go's a long way to have you rush out and fill all your vehicles and help a politician get elected.

With high prices, I'm sure there will be a reduction in the US usage. This will increase US oil export. This will help other nations that more heavily rely on Russian crude. But the global market will set the price. Our surplus will not make USA prices lower.

Yep it will cost me 30 to 50% more than I planed.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 05:14 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
For us full time RVers there is not much of a choice other than staying put in one place and that is not why we made the change to the full time RV lifestyle. We just do our best to hit every Costco we can to save a bit on fuel. Other than that I am hoping it will make finding an RV park a bit easier as they might be less crowded. Like everything else this too will change.
Julia2005 is offline   Reply
Old 03-09-2022, 05:26 PM   #28

AS of today, in Fl.., des. fuel is such that you are spending $1.00 per mile, just for fuel. Totally nuts.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
gas