Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2022, 02:20 AM   #99

Yep it's just greed
Gary O. is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2022, 04:00 AM   #100

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Summer trip is canceled. diesel here just hit $5 per gallon. Cali is now at $6 per gallon. Stay out of Cali. unless you load up your toad with suitcases of $$. Guess we have to wait until the next election to be able to travel again....
Old 03-14-2022, 05:31 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Having been grounded for over a year because of Covid, our travel account continued to grow. There is more than enough there to cover the cost of fuel increases. In addition the stimulus checks went into that account, so actually the govt has prepaid for the additional fuel cost this year.

We do the same thing. All loose change, including $1 bills, gets put aside for fuel. The stimulus checks went into the same kitty. Surprising how fast it all adds up.

If the big oil companies would STOP sending our oil and gas to other countries, our prices would be lower. People complain about stopping the pipelines, but those lines are just used to transfer the oil to the waiting tanker ships.

It's the same with natural gas. Compressed, and shipped overseas.
glwinger is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 06:39 AM   #102

Jayco Owners Club
We have a 6,000 mile trip planned for the middle of April and already have reservations along the way. I am 75 and the clock is ticking so We are going despite the fuel increases. YMMV
ken-s is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 06:52 AM   #103

Lightbulb

Couple changes to summer road trip: wife bumped the fuel budget up another dollar a gallon. We are now at 7 dollars a gallon for diesel
Old 03-14-2022, 07:51 AM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Operating a large RV like mine is expensive. I have tracked my expenses over the past four years (fuel, memberships, repairs, upgrades, insurance, campground costs, etc). Fuel represents only 5% of my RV expenses. So, even if the price of diesel doubles, it still will be a minor costs for my very expensive RV. So, no impacts to my travel plans.
pete5016 is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #105

National RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Pinch at the Pump

We have a 6 week trip to CO this summer and fuel costs are a concern. Flying and hotels would save us some money but that's not what traveling is all about for us. Like most folks we worked our asses off for 40+ years and sacrificed to save for today, retirement. Now that we're here its about the journey, not just the destination. Which is why we travel by coach and stop when and where we want along the way. This year, we will look for ways to offset our fuel costs like less meals out, taking advantage of reduced cost camping like Harvest Host, traveling with an empty water, gray and black tanks (1500lbs when all full) and backing the speed control down 5 mph. Like another poster said once camped we will use our SmartCar (50+ mpg) and my FJR motorcycle (40+mpg) as transportation. To summarize, we will look to travel smarter but not less... Safe Traveling...
IndyRay is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaldow View Post
Staying local in a radius of 200 miles and using the wife's suv. Hybrid 39 /mpg rig , while the D P relaxes through the corporates fuel gouging tantrum - - -
Spoken by someone who does not understand Economics. Oil is not selling to the so-called "corporate gougers" at wall over $125/bbl as compared to 18 months ago at around $50/bbl. Who is gouging who here?
Sgt B is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 09:12 AM   #107

Are gas prices effecting your trip.

No, diesel prices are!

And thanks for posting the up front affirmation!

We have a Dutch Star 38’ DP. Cummins/Spartin. No Def.

We were planing to head out west from our FL winter campgrounds. With diesel costing from 5-7+ dollars a gallon. We have decided to fly out west to my grandsons wedding. We may then rent a car and do a little sight seeing. But even that is a “we will see”

When I calculate a 7000 mile trip at 8+ mpg at $6 a gallon that comes out to about $5300 just on fuel, nothing else. Ouch! The last time we made that trip it was more like $2.75/gal. That came out to around $2400 for fuel.

I once remember while in the Caribbean, filling my sailboats 200 gal diesel tanks for 12 cents a gallon! Oh my.

Soooooo. We will do more “local” trips around our home state of NC. Plenty of things there to keep us busy. We are retired and while not poor, we do have fixed resources that we are chipping away at.
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 09:12 AM   #108

Only the Thinking about plans

We just stopped doing the Thinking about plans but it hasn't affected the plans we already had setup as definite.
URTHllc is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 09:13 AM   #109

We have never been energy independent.
chuckie0204 is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 09:15 AM   #110

Gas prices

We had a month long trip to Montana planned and have since cancelled it. We are staying in our area for camping.
6jsgrandma is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 09:49 AM   #111

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been on the road for several months and have watched the run up in fuel prices, staggering. We use Gas Buddies extensively and plan accordingly. Recently we filled up in Bullhead City AZ and managed to make it to Long Beach CA and then out of CA to Quatzite AZ. Fuel was over $6.00 per gal in CA, $4.25 in AZ approx. planning pays.
L2D2 is offline   Reply
Old 03-14-2022, 10:06 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't ruin your fun

I have a 35 foot motorhome (V10 Gas), it gets 5 - 7 MPG towing my jeep. I purchased this rig used (8 years old at the time) with 28K miles on it and it had leaks in both exhaust manifolds - it was $3600.00 to fix, did I park the RV? no, I had it fixed. Fuel prices will not ruin my vacation plans. Now I might save in other ways - fewer fancy dinners, fewer bar tabs, maybe don't rent that boat at the campground.. but I am still going glamping.
RVJocko is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
gas