Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2022, 08:29 AM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post
Stop reading if you are concerned.

Don't kill a thread about gas prices and travel just because a few stray.

This is a VERY RELEVANT TOPIC.

Who made you referee? Fuel is everyone's concern.
Getting off topic is against the rules expressed by the Site Team. Why? Because off topic posts make it hard for everyone interested in the thread topic to find information related to the thread title.

It's up to all of us to keep our comments focused on the topic at hand.

Let the site team decide by reviewing for closure
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #310

That'd be a shame. I've gotten a LOT more useful and interesting information from the off topic posts that I have from the anecdotal posts staying strictly on subject.
GypsyR is offline   Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 09:13 AM   #311

We are 9 days away from departure. Doing some final touches on the motorhome/toad set up. I plan to provide a detailed write up of the trip as I think this site lacks some good informative trip reports. A part of that will be the breakdown in fuel prices and cost throughout California, Oregon, and Washington.

Still looking forward to the trip. My 5 and 8 year old are ecstatic and can't stop talking about the 6 National Parks/Monuments we're headed to and have spent hours looking at youtube videos of them on their tablets. At this point, fuel could be $15 a gallon and I'd still do it for them.

Andrew
Fushux is offline   Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 10:15 AM   #312

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We returned from a trip of 7,679 km (4661 miles) and got home with under 1/4 of a tank of gas. I thought maybe the prices would go down, but I was wrong.

I guess I will be filling up with around $480.00 of gas next fill-up.

But, the show must go on!

So happy I can afford it.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 05:51 AM   #313

Wow, this is the first time the hot topic thing has been triggered that I've noticed. Didn't even know that there was one.
But yes the price of diesel is affecting our travel plans. For the third year in a row our NC out thru the mid west and then SD, MO, WY, Utah, and them back home via I40 is a no go. This year it's the fuel prices.
We just cancelled a trip to MB SC from central NC because as close as it is it still would have been $400 round trip just for diesel. We made the reservations back in December, but SC state parks are at 65/70 USDs per night now for high demand locations and we do eat out some.
Diesel best price around here yesterday was $5.39. I filled the truck up before it went any higher. The local Sam's Club has taken down the price board because they were running out of Sharpies keeping up with the price changes.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:29 AM   #314

Unhappy

Like many, we are on a fixed income that really needs to be renamed “Broken Income”.
With gas prices forecasted to be $6 a gallon - We may end up renting a car to drive the few thousand miles north and back to visit the grand children and the rest of the family this August. Rather than spending a month with them, we’ll only spend a few days.
We’re already on ground Turkey instead of beef. This rampant inflation is making life very difficult.
I’m very close to going back to work and doing the best I can…
Praying for change of hearts and guidance for our leaders.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:36 AM   #315
Community Administrator

Are gas prices affecting your trip plans?

We use the” hot topic” in order to remind members to be cautious when threads have a tendency to be political ( as an example ) as our Community Rules do not permit these type of posts. This is our way of trying to keep threads open. It doesn’t always work unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Wow, this is the first time the hot topic thing has been triggered that I've noticed. Didn't even know that there was one.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 07:39 AM   #316

We leave on a 3000 mile trip from Texas to Michigan - traveling with our diesel C and the other family pulling their TT with a Chevy diesel pickup. Both of us get the same fuel economy - 13 mpg.

I am expecting to use about 200-250 gallons and [after watching the diesel prices stabilize over the last 30 days] expect to spend $1100 - 1300 for the fuel to get to and from our various sites.

I just got back from Colorado [flew there and discovered the ticket price had gone up a lot since I had flown pre-pandemic] and found [surprisingly] the diesel and gas prices had stabilized even though WTI oil is at $110-114 barrel. The gap between gas and diesel had narrowed to 50-75 cents - down from $1.05.

Using an RV automatically lowers travel and lodging costs. I like the flexibility of driving and enjoying some sites along the way. So now, I AM LESS WORRIED ABOUT SAVING FOR THE FUEL TO MAKE A TRIP - I AM MOST CONCERNED THAT STOCKS OF FUEL ARE STILL AVAILABLE...
msherw is offline   Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #317

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Gas and oil ARE renewable energies, it just takes longer.

Until the world has somehow transitioned to nuclear energy, we will have to rely on oil and gas, like it or not.

EVs are fine, but we still need heating in the winter and cooling in the summer. There are places now that don't have the power grid infrastructure. What will the future bring?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Again, look at the chart I posted, and see how the increase in the number of oil well drilling rigs is pretty much a straight line from the low point in August of 2020 until current. If the government had stopped issuing permits in January of 2021 the chart would show a dramatic drop off starting in January 2021 of the number of oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA.
Again, the problem is not leases or permits, but the oil companies' hesitancy to spend the money needed to get the US back up over 880 oil well drilling rigs operating in the USA as we were in November 2018 when the number started to decline.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_oil_rotary_rigs
And why are they hesitant? Without delving into politics its because oil is a futures market and when an administration specifically says they will cease ll fossil fuel (see quote on campaign) then of course they won't invest billions. Again...trying not to get into the politics but this is simply basic economics.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5iXQ4fvL1b_rEQ
Homeby5 is offline   Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 10:01 AM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972VWbus View Post
Correct. That goes back to the Clinton terms when refineries were closed down never to open again (EPA rules). As time went by (more cars/trucks on road) Refinery capacity stayed what it was (or is now). Horrible call.

Want to fix the gas prices?

Federalize ALL of it and set the price. And remove the states hand/share out of it completely. IOW...as of today you now work for Uncle Sam.

I'm very lucky to live within a very short distance from top-notch camping and and national forest recreation. In spite of this blessing we will most certainly be cutting back on longer trips as a direct result of outrageous fuel prices. I wanted to take our camper and 4whlrs to Baja Mexico where, coincidentally, fuel prices ARE federalized. Gasoline per gallon in Mexico as of 5/23/22 are at $4.47. Still sound like the answer to our problem!?
rrsutherland is offline   Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #320
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
THREAD WARNING

We have had to remove several post for bringing politics into the thread. Remember that political posts are not permitted. Let’s avoid this topic so that we don’t have to close this thread.
TonyDi is offline   Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 01:37 PM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972VWbus View Post
Correct. That goes back to the Clinton terms when refineries were closed down never to open again (EPA rules). As time went by (more cars/trucks on road) Refinery capacity stayed what it was (or is now). Horrible call.

Want to fix the gas prices?

Federalize ALL of it and set the price. And remove the states hand/share out of it completely. IOW...as of today you now work for Uncle Sam.
Federal involvement is the reason we're having high prices.

Let them take over and there won't BE an RV industry.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
gas