Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #1

Are you familiar with San Antonio?

Hello fellow RVs!!!!
After leaving Rockport,Tx I'll be heading toward San Antonio,I heard that thaffic in San Anton is very congested so I'm looking
for an RV park that may be close to San Anton or perhaps near public transportation,is feasible?I'd rather take a bus and then walk the area....
Many thanks to all your replies........araucano.
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my opinion, the traffic in San Antonio is no worst than any other large city. Personally, I prefer the flexibility of having my own transportation. The Keep On Adding campround is on a bus stop as well as the Travelers World cg. Check other on RV Park reviews. Safe traveling. And oh yeah...it'll be hot in San Antonio.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I found one campground listed in the Reviews here

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #4

I flew to San Antonio and attended a conference there. I rented a car and didn't have any issues with the traffic.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi araucano,
There is a KOA with a bus stop at the CG entrance. 800-562-7783. We stayed there in 2006 and it was a well maintained CG. We would stay there again.

This June we will be staying at Top Of The Hill RV Resort 830-537-3666. It is highly rated so we thought we'd give it a try.

We are not staying at the KOA as it is not on the correct side of town for our get away day. We will be heading west and leaving early in the morning. Staying on the west side of town means I do not participate with local people getting to work.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd go for the KOA. You, then have the option for bus or POV. If you stay off the roads at morning/evening rush hour you will be okay.

Toad: 2006 Honda CR-V
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Braunig Lake RV Resort is 6 miles south of downtown Alamo on Highway 37. If you get a premium site you will really enjoy your stay. The standard sites are rather close together, but for site seeing it is doable. It is a Passport America park so you rates are half price. We stayed there twice in the past year and enjoyed both times. The Passport America rates are full time, no limit. Pay by the week. The second week is cheaper because you don't have to pay the taxes after your initial stay.

Traffic in downtown SA is really not that bad. Behind the Alamo is a parking lot, about 1 block away and cost $10 for the day. You walk to the Alamo and after your self tour there you walk across the street, down the stairs and you are on the Famed River Walk. Take the boat tour - you can't miss it. It's not expensive. The Alamo is the 5th Mission. Go on a POV self tour of the San Antonio missions. Some good history and photo ops. The church's in the missions are still operating.

Another one is Admiralty RV Resort. It is a very nice CG, but a little pricey. It is further away from down town but right next to Sea World. There is shuttle service but I don't know where it goes as we always used the POV.

I have heard that Green Tree Village RV Resort is nice, but I have no first hand experience.

If you don't mind day trips, try staying around New Braunfels. Look at the Rio Raft campground in Satler, TX. It is also full time PA. It is located at the 4th Landing. The rent tubes and will take you up-stream and you can tube back to the landing. The CG is on River Road just off of Highway 306. Make the trip down River Road to San Marcos, and visit the town. You are also only a few miles from Canyon Lake. Lots to do around the area for site seeing and shopping.

It is 50 miles to Austin, 50 miles to San Antonio, 20 mlies to a large Factory Outlet Mall, and on the way back stop at Camping World for your "want to have," RV stuff. There are many Other CG's in and around New Braunfels.

Have a nice trip.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote